Google discontinues sale of Nexus One

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google announced a few weeks ago that they'd be discontinuing the sale of Nexus One devices, nicknamed the "Google Phone". Today that change has gone into effect and is reflected on Google's website:

http://google.com/phone

Having said that, I happened to have bought one of the last ones this past weekend and it really is a shame, because it's a fantastic phone. There are plans to continue the series with a Nexus Two and Three, but those plans haven't been finalized to my knowledge.

At least they will still continue to support the Nexus One for those who already have one :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought they were going to move the phone from the online store, into the brick and mortar stores of mobile carriers such as T-Mobile so that people could actually try the device before they buy it. They're discontinuing it all together ? :scratchhead:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the U.S., yes. It will still be selectively available in certain other countries.

Google used this phone to promote the Android platform and bring it into the mainstream. They've accomplished that goal, but IMO they really should have kept this device around longer.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bout one a while ago ~2 months, love it. However, I've learned that I dont like trackballs. It seems to get stuck every once in a while...

Also, spork, hows the incoming call volume on yours? Since the release of Froyo my incoming volume is horrible. I have to smash the phone up to my ear to hear anything.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never even heard of it. Always thought the Android was Googles first step into the phone market. Did it actually make it out of the US?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
I bout one a while ago ~2 months, love it. However, I've learned that I dont like trackballs. It seems to get stuck every once in a while...

Also, spork, hows the incoming call volume on yours? Since the release of Froyo my incoming volume is horrible. I have to smash the phone up to my ear to hear anything.

The trackball is the only part about the phone that I don't like. It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb on an otherwise very elegant device. I never use the darn thing. I like how it glows when a new message/email is available, but I'd prefer a simple LED in its place.

SB wrote:
Never even heard of it. Always thought the Android was Googles first step into the phone market. Did it actually make it out of the US?

Be sure not to confuse Android (Google's mobile OS) with the Droid, which is a specific line of phones that run Android (but are only available through Verizon). Android was Google's first step into the mobile market, from a software standpoint. The Nexus One was the phone they marketed to introduce the OS. There are many other devices out that run Android.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see. I like Google, but i much prefer Apples attempt at the phone and would happily move onto another iPhone when my contract is up for renewal.

I might go have a read about Google's Android (& Droid) so i can fimiliarise myself with it.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out the HTC website. They are probably the lead developer in Android phones (I think they make them all but the Droid and Droid X and one other I think).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts