Google to offer 1 gig of free e-mail

• whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

MOUNTAIN VIEW, California (AP) -- Search engine Google Inc. announced Wednesday it will launch a free, Web-based e-mail service to compete against popular services from rivals Yahoo! Inc. and Microsoft Corp.

Google's service, called "Gmail," will include a built-in search function that will let people search every e-mail they've ever sent or received.

According to company executives, users will be able to type in keywords to sort e-mails or find old missives. And it will come with 1 gigabyte of free storage - more than 100 times what some popular rivals offer and enough to hold 500,000 pages of e-mail.

The service is being offered to invited users, and will be available to everyone in a few weeks, the company said.

Officials at Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail division declined to comment on Google's entry into a new category.

But analysts said that Google -- whose technology is behind nearly four out of every five Web searches -- could shake up the free e-mail market.

Yahoo dominates the niche, with 52.6 million unique users per month in the United States, according to a February survey by online research firm comScore Media Metrix. Hotmail is next, with 45.4 million users. AOL has 40.2 million paying users.

To finance the service, Google will display advertising links tied to the topics discussed within the e-mails. For instance, an e-mail inquiring about an upcoming concert might include an ad from a ticket agency.

Industry analyst David Ferris said Gmail is a logical extension of the world's most popular search engine. But he said Google may run into trouble if it tries to charge for e-mail eventually.

Rivals have kept stripped versions of e-mail free and asked users to pay annual fees up to $30 or more for extra storage and spam protection.

"I know that companies offering free e-mail are very frustrated because the consumer expects it will stay free -- they simply will not pay any money for them," said Ferris, president of San Francisco-based Ferris Research. "Although there's a clear tendency for these free services to offer for-fee extensions, users are very resistant to taking them up. The level of adoption is very disappointing.

"http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/03/31/google.email.ap/index.html
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow...so this IS going to happen. I remember reading that Google was thinking of doing some kind email service to get news/search/links to email subscribers. They didnt give much insite to it though.

GREAT FIND
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

That'll be neat :)

Nice to see somebody step up to the plate and take on the big free E-Mail sites, and with storage & search facilities like this?

I'll definitely be signing up :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

40+ million gigs of storage for email ? :shock: ? No wonder google was looking to issue stock.

lets see, 40mil gigs at a discounted price of $0.25 per gig = $10million for HDDs :shock:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, but 10 million bucks in HDs is probably gonna earn 'em 500 mil in advertising...

And hey, realistically, unless you've got people sending you ISO's on a daily basis, who's gonna use a gig of inbox?

They're relying on general internet users, who'll use like 10Meg - honestly, how many bytes does it take to talk to Auntie Gertrude in Outer Mongolia? ;)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is pretty amazing, I guess google is now the coca-cola of search engines.

Sign me up as well
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good, cuz I hate Pepsi ;)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
And hey, realistically, unless you've got people sending you ISO's on a daily basis, who's gonna use a gig of inbox?

:lol: If you give people an inch they try to take a foot.
So you better believe if you give them a mile they will find some way to use it.
Even if people don't use all that space google still has to have room for it, and if googles email stats turn out to be anything like thier search stats then lets figure approx 75% of 138,200,000 combined users from the top 3 listed above, thats (103,650,000 gigs * $0.25) $25,912,500 for HDDs alone, figure in the rest of the components/software/labor and your lookin at a very hefty initial investment. Like you said Axe this will create a ton of ad revenue and I'm sure google allready has some of the resources, but my point is that google IPO is going to be a must to get this thing started :D

BTW, pepsi just tastes better :D coke is toooo syrupy :x
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

:wink:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

i want to know where to sign up!

actually no i dont!

i already have too many email addresses!! :lol: :lol: ;) ;)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
i already have too many email addresses!! :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Just think musik, with a gig of storage you could have just one super-overwhelming inbox list instead of X-amount of smaller ones :D
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmmm googlemail = nice spam account, methinks
  • Xios
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Saturn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant wait for it to come out it would be realy usefull with 1gig im using loads of space on my hotmail, yahoo and my gomail
  • Xios
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey hang on a mo nobody has noticed that its april Fools day today is this a trick
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Xios wrote:
Hey hang on a mo nobody has noticed that its april Fools day today is this a trick

If it is someone got an early start :wink:
Quote:
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:21 pm
  • Xios
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

whatlikesit12345 wrote:
Posted: 1st April 2004, 4:21 am Post subject: Google to offer 1 gig of free e-mail

I live in England The times here are differant to yours
  • icyroadz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe, maybe not:

http://gmail.google.com/

We'll see if that's still going after noon, but I think I saw this yesterday, and if it is a joke, it seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through.
  • icyroadz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

For what it's worth, they also posted a job listing to work at a lunar station:

http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html

:D
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

no its not a trick it was on the radio this morning. and april fools is over lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, API ran the story yesterday. Or the day before if you're musik.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

where?!?! when?!?!? gimme now!!!!
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

so will it be username@google.com?

it sounds interesting, it would great for me when i am sending source code and pictures back and forth from school. My hotmail inbox gets full to often.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

probably user@gmail.com
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Axe wrote:

:lol: If you give people an inch they try to take a foot.
So you better believe if you give them a mile they will find some way to use it.
Even if people don't use all that space google still has to have room for it, and if googles email stats turn out to be anything like thier search stats then lets figure approx 75% of 138,200,000 combined users from the top 3 listed above, thats (103,650,000 gigs * $0.25) $25,912,500 for HDDs alone, figure in the rest of the components/software/labor and your lookin at a very hefty initial investment. Like you said Axe this will create a ton of ad revenue and I'm sure google allready has some of the resources, but my point is that google IPO is going to be a must to get this thing started :D

BTW, pepsi just tastes better :D coke is toooo syrupy :x

I don't think it will be anywhere near that much. I'll bet that google will use some kind of compression technology, and plain text compresses very well, especially when there is 103,650,000 gigs to build a dictionary on.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

signing up, shouldn't miss this one. lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts