Google Operating System

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google is to launch it's own Operating System due for release mid-2010.

BBC News

I guess this was inevitable after the release of their web browser Chrome.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very important paragraph here

Quote:
Google Chrome OS will be aimed initially at small, low-cost netbooks, but will eventually be used on PCs as well.

Given how long it took G-Mail to get out of Beta, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a chance to try it out on an old PC laying around.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Given how long it took G-Mail to get out of Beta

It's out of Beta? :lol:
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It's out of Beta? :lol:

Came out yesterday, I believe. They had a reason, but it stunk. lol Here's their explanation.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically all they are saying is it will still be beta but without the beta badge to show that it is beta.

Google has in my opinion lost a bit of credibility. I don't think i'd ever think that about them because they have done alot of good things, but that reason just sucks!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's how a company works.

First, they do one thing, and they do it really well.
Then people invest looking to get a nice return.
Then the founders get rich and pretty much leave running the company up to anyone who wants to do it.
Then everyone makes a bunch of money which they end up reinvesting.

This is where the company starts to die, as soon as a reinvestment is made it's not about being a good company anymore, it's all about making shareholders stay happy.

Every market has a ceiling. In order for shareholders to stay happy the company has to grow into other markets, which they usually suck at in the long run.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

At the end of the day, credit does have to go to Google for becoming as big as they are today. They have constantly moved into new markets over the last 10 years and generally had an element of success. I'm not sure how well Google Chrome has been doing, but i imagine once the new OS is up and running and they somehow find a way to make the browser work with the OS then it could be a success...however there is a lot of competition here.

You've got to look at the likes of Apple, they have moved into making mobile phones and in a way taken control of this market by setting a new standard. The iPhones are easily leading the way in terms of technology being used on the phones. Googles phone has not really kicked off as well here, there seems less hype and generally people are not as impressed by them as they have the iPhone. Hopefully this is not a sign Google are going to go down the pan like Microsoft have done in a way because i still like Google.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of the Wired writers posted his thoughts on the potential gains the Google OS could bring (article here).
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or there's a rather comical list of "11 Undocumented features of Google Chrome OS" over here. Gave me a laugh. :lol:
  • exclusiva_bd
  • Born
  • Born
  • exclusiva_bd

Post 3+ Months Ago

So at long last Google is making its move. It is poised to strike at the heart of Microsoft's software empire. Really a great news indeed. May google bring something much better than other OS. I guess it wont be a GNU / GPL. No matter how it will be but we believe google will surely look after the customer support as it always does.
  • dhanjit
  • dhanjit
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

What i think, if they can't beat Microsoft in software business.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Software will be open source and free to download and use. Companies like ACER, Toshiba and Hewlett Packard have confirmed they will be using this software on their hardware.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8141964.stm
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So at long last Google is making its move. It is poised to strike at the heart of Microsoft's software empire

To some point I suppose that's the intention, but I think their goal is to wedge themselves into the market with the 'next product'. By that I mean that I don't think Google would go directly after Windows' current niche. I believe they'll go after precisely what we've seen - netbooks, mobile operating systems (Android), and the like in attempts to carve their own position into the OS market as new demands arise.

I doubt Google OS will evolve into the Windows killer that everyone seems to be clambering for any time soon. M$ has its downfalls, but they're an extraordinarily strong and resilient company. We've seen others come and go yet Windows remains. Are people calling/ready for an alternative solution? Absolutely. Does that mean Windows is facing any serious threat of getting shelved? Doubtful. IMO, we'll see a few evolutions of what 'OS' means before challengers have tied into a strong, competitive position.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google's OS is going to be nothing more than a new window manager on top of a Linux kernel. They say this right in the blog. Of course they'll tweak the kernel to their liking but as it stands right now it's nothing more than a glorified Linux distro.

Of course, people will flock to it just because it's Google.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Of course, people will flock to it just because it's Google.

Agreed. However, maybe that's the type of push that Linux needs to improve their mainstream efforts. Think Google would continue to tout their name in the light of success? Thoughts?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course they would. When people use Chrome OS, they aren't going to think of it as Linux; an average (non-tech-savy) customer who buys a netbook with Chrome OS on is likely won't realize that they're using "Linux"; at the most they'll know it as "my computer is Google, not Windows".

*shudder*
Stepping into the mind of a user makes me queasy.

If anything, I'm just interested to see what the window manager will be like. It will be refreshing to see a WM created from scratch with clear goals and a well thought-out design in mind beforehand. Honestly, that's what Linux really needs.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
When people use Chrome OS, they aren't going to think of it as Linux;

That's what I was curious to hear your opinion on. I think Google could subconsciously link their product to 'Linux', if nothing more than as a catch phrase. I just wish they would use that ability so that users would at least know that they're using it and it's not an alienated 'not-Windows' thing that geeks talk about.

Quote:
If anything, I'm just interested to see what the window manager will be like.

Good point! Definitely room for improvement. Have you played with Android any? I know it's worlds of difference, but I have to think that the same general mindset will be applied to their new OS.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I unfortunately haven't had a chance to mess with Android yet.

This article pretty much hits the nail on the head about the media hype surrounding Google's announcement:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/09 ... ome_redux/
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Googasm, lmao. Adding that one to my vocabulary. Nice share, thanks. Language is a bit choice, but he makes good points.
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Here's how a company works.

First, they do one thing, and they do it really well.
Then people invest looking to get a nice return.
Then the founders get rich and pretty much leave running the company up to anyone who wants to do it.
Then everyone makes a bunch of money which they end up reinvesting.

This is where the company starts to die, as soon as a reinvestment is made it's not about being a good company anymore, it's all about making shareholders stay happy.

Every market has a ceiling. In order for shareholders to stay happy the company has to grow into other markets, which they usually suck at in the long run.

I agree...
  • r4cardnintendods
  • Born
  • Born
  • r4cardnintendods

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm it will be a high competetion now with google & MS

google already have online office :-P
Moderator Remark: spam link removed
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So at long last Google is making its move. It is poised to strike at the heart of Microsoft's software empire.

Sounds like google took it personal when microsoft came out with bing. This os perhaps is their rebuttal
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alas, the googasms continue despite our efforts, spork.
  • stephen186
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stephen186

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am really excited to see what google offers in their OS...........i like chrome but not as much as mozilla. Still needs something..
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Alas, the googasms continue despite our efforts, spork.

Oh dear, i can see you abusing that googasm word just like companies have with the word "Crunch" in their marketing since the "Credit Crunch" became an international phenomenon.
  • Rollover
  • Rollover

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe yeah I just read that. Well mid 2010? xD thats a long time :P
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Oh dear, i can see you abusing that googasm word just like companies have with the word "Crunch" in their marketing since the "Credit Crunch" became an international phenomenon.

Touchée. In that context, it's not as much fun. Reminds me of *cation (day, stay, etc.). I really wish advertising depts. would stop abusing it.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, there's so much synergy in this thread; it's really helping us to collaborate on our enterprise solution from the Google.

P.S.: My hobby: prepending 'the' to abstract/proper nouns to aggravate readers.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha, I wish I could remember the product in the commercial that I've seen. The guy says 'the diabetis' like it's an STD. (pronounces it die-uh-beat-us, which doesn't help, hence the sp.)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wilford Brimley for Liberty Mutual!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pod4jIKT_kA
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago