Google / Verizon Two Tiered Net, What's the Bottom Line ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If Google and Verizon get their way and have a two-tiered Internet setup, what's a realistic bottom line I can expect as someone who just operates a bunch of small websites on shared hosting, a VPS host, or a basic dedicated server ?

What's the worst possible case I could be looking at if I'm not on the top tier, an extra fraction of a second for every page load, a whole second, multiple seconds ?
What if I want to be on the top tier, how much could that possibly raise the cost of my hosting bill each month, for say, a VPS package, $1 per month, $5, could it double the cost of my hosting every month ?

I see a lot of concern from people about this two-tiered Internet stuff, there's even people protesting outside the Googleplex last I heard. What I haven't seen though, is what it means for the average hobbyist or part time webiste owner.

If the worst case scenario is that a shared hosting bill goes up by $5 a month, I don't see what the big deal is.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's because you have the $5.00

Not everyone does.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's not focus on which numbers mean what to who now, the important thing here is finding out what those numbers could be before it happens. :)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once again, you aren't focusing on the money because you have it.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if companies like The Planet will put all there servers on the fast teir, or if they will move at all. I guess it depends on what the difference is. They almost might be able to run both and then charge on a per server basis to move up the teir.

Now that I think about it though, this is only going to effect version users. So my guess is you would go through verizon to give your IP the boost, not necessarly the datacenters themselves.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if I even have the right idea what's slated to happen. Some of the stuff I've read in the last couple of days seems to indicate this is going to work more like the premium channels on cable television than it is a carpool lane anyone can pay to use on the highway.

Quote:
Now that I think about it though, this is only going to effect version users.

I was under the impression that no one company can connect you to everything on the Internet, and that somewhere along the line most peoples requests would have to travel along some part of Verizons network.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts