Google Voice and Skype could be on iPhone soon

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to rumor, it's to be announced tomorrow in San Diego that Google Voice and Skype will be allowed on the iPhone network. While AT&T maintains that any such decision is strictly up to Apple, both companies have taking a public beating regarding the rejections. Finally, they could be making a wise move. Let the people rejoice! :)

Source: Washington Post
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems to me like if AT&T decided to deny that, you could still get around it. If you plugged the iphone (or any other smart phone) into your computer and used it as your gateway to the internet, then you could use skype on the computer.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm confused, i have both those applications on my iPhone already. Both work and they are great.

I remember hearing shortly after i installed the Google Voice app a few months ago that Apple had pulled it. I still have it and it still works for me no problems.
  • stephen186
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stephen186

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I'm confused, i have both those applications on my iPhone already. Both work and they are great.

I remember hearing shortly after i installed the Google Voice app a few months ago that Apple had pulled it. I still have it and it still works for me no problems.

Exactly that is what i thought?

Didn't iphone support these two until now?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Apple has said in a letter to the FCC that it hasn't blocked Google Voice or other voice services, saying it is still in the process of evaluating those applications on the iPhone. Google, meanwhile, in its own letters to the FCC says Apple executives flatly informed Google they would block Google Voice. Skype also said its service has been blocked from the iPhone

Sounds to me like they're offering it to cover their butts legally now, but there was definitely an outage at some point.
  • developer_x
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Skype in my iPhone. I live in Denmark; seems like iphone has legal issues in atleast some other countries..?
  • mistercrooks
  • mistercrooks

Post 3+ Months Ago

I downloaded Skype for my iPhone months ago, but it has never worked :-(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts