Graphics Tablet

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi folks,

I just purchased a Graphics Tablet as an alternative to using a mouse as my right hand is increasingly becoming more tender and sore from the amount of time I spend on the computer, especially when I am doing design work as well as day to day surfing.

http://www.computers-components.co.uk/890728.html this is the kind I bought.

So far it has proved rather an interesting alternative, has anyone else had any experience with this type of thing? How do you find it?

Cheers,
Rose :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi musik,

I have a Graphics Tablet made by WACOM. I can't live without it to tell the truth. I can't remember the last time I used the mouse for anything relevant to design. I even use it to correct photographs and some online games seem more fun with the pen as well!

I don't use the mouse it came with though, I still use my mouse for other things when I'm not designing. I just don't think the pen is as effective (at least IMHO) for things like word processing and switching back and forth between my keyboard & the pen is much slower for me than switching to my mouse. So when I do use the pen I stick to it until I'm completely done using it for whatever project I may be working on at the time.

It does take a while to get used to though! :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes i am already beginning to get used to it. this one came with a wireless mouse but I dont think I will be using that much, besides I just got a new one of those ;)
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive got a wacom too, starting to use it a bit more now too cause my right arm is playin up too. using mouse left handed which really sucks, feels so unco ;-)

I find the tablet good for playing with photo collages and freehand stuff, but not using it for normal tasks. probably just because i couldnt be bothered.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting a WACOM tablet is next on the TO-DO list.. I sooo badly want one!!!
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Love the tablet for my 3D animation!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

my dad bought a tiny tablet from a store...

then found another one, same price but huuugggeee...

the writable area must be bigger than A4. he uses it to play with lol, i dont see myself using it, although i never really had a go
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got a WACOM as well and wouldnt go without it. Although I don't use it for a random match of Unreal every once in a while, I do use it for everything else. It's awsome in photoshop and, for me at least, a much more comfortable alternative to the constraints of a mouse. Have fun with your new toy! :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers! I am beginning to get used to it. I bought the cheaper one in case I didnt like but so far its been grand, I can also create my own handwritten fonts in Illustrator much easier.

:thumbsup:
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good idea to start with the cheaper one. I went ahead and went with the expensive one, but I had had one before. The response is a little better than a cheaper one, but the main thing that you pay for is the larger sensor area. Thats well worth it though (or I think it is).
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Erm...I know this will sound silly...but what does it do. O.o
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mean what does a graphics tablet do?

Heres the tablet that I have: http://wacomdirect.wacom.com/wacomdirec ... =XD1212USB[/url]

Basically you have a pen and the surface detects as you move it around. A lot of people (including me) think its more comfortable than a normal mouse. It's also gives you a heck of a lot more control in programs like photoshop etc.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice but their EXPENSIVE!!!
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, yeah, they are. Thank goodness for a job. I think that they are worth it though. Like I said earlier, it's good to try em out before you shell out a lot of money.Here( http://wacomdirect.wacom.com/wacomdirect/graphire3.asp? ) are their cheaper pads. I would suggest the $100 one. Its quite a bit smaller area, but plenty to mess around with and see if you really like it or not. If you like it, buy a bigger one (like I did) and if you don't, you still have a neat little piece of technology to mess with but aren't out $600. :)
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a cheapo tablet I got from the store. it was $70 cheaper then the wacom table an half an inch bigger I think. It's pretty cool, and a lot better for graphics and digital art, though sometimes hard to get something really percise(sp?)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well.... I wore my Packard bell graphics pen out :lol: I use it for general use because the mouse is just too painful to use all the time with my bung hand. :lol:

Does anyone have any recommendations on more expensive ones that are well made and will last the everyday use?

I'm not too bothered on the size of the pad, probably around the same size as I have now (14 x 10.5cm Size)

Taa!

Rose :)
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

check out http://wacom.com they make the best tablets, mainly for graphics, but they should work for every day use as well (since they are geared towards profesionals that would use it all the time)
Once you get in the site, in the left, there is an image saying "Which tablet?" you should click on that, and it goes through a survey and decides which table fits best for you.

But they are a bit expensive, going in the few hundred dollar range for the bigger ones.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Tom, it seems this wacom mob are the best choice for graphics tablets, I havent really come across many other brands on my search, I asked here as well because its always good to get personal recommendations as well :thumbsup:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

In reference to another post that was directed to this post, I use an AIPTEK 8000U, it's an 8x6 tablet, and works very well (gets a little quarky with photoshop CS, but works great in illustrator).
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only drawing tablet I have ever used for any amount of time was back in the 80s on a commodre 64 it was called a koala pad, and as primitice as it was, I know from that experience that I really really really really really want a REAL drawing tablet, designing/drawing with a mouse is like sketching with a bar of soap.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's a great similie! :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts