GTKY - Daemonguy (update)

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Are you still living in Cary, NC? If yes, have your thoughts changed from your previous post? If not, tell us about where you live.

2. Are yous till a huge cigar freak?

3. Has a typical workday changed much for you since the last GTKY?

4. I notice you like to travel a lot. Any new travels since your last GTKY?

5. Do you have a personal blog/site?

6. What's the meaning behind your nickname?

7. What did you do this past weekend?

8. Tell us about your current living arrangements. (Who you live with, in a house/apartment, etc)

9. Is there a certain movie you're looking forward to watching?

10. Tell us something about your self that we might find surprising.

11. What are you listening to right now?

12. What kind of car do you drive? (post a photo!)

13. Would you rather scream at the top of your lungs for an hour straight, or have your eyes glued shut for a day?

14. If you could be any Disney character, who would you be and why?

15. Name 5 pet peeves that you have against drivers sharing the road with you.

16. Guilty pleasures & bad habits (cigarettes, gum, candy, etc) Give us the dirt!

17. Fave style of music.

18. What has better looking legs, a seagull or a chicken?

19. What are you up to today?

20. Least favorite place you have travelled to?

21. Are you a 2 finger typer or do you use all your fingers to type properly?

22. What are some of your hobbies?

23. Would you eat a live hissing cockroach if someone were to give you $1,000?

24. Who was your fave superhero growing up?

25. Do you have any pets?

26. Tell us about the last thing you were thinking about.

27. What do you do to stay in shape? Or do you do anything at all? LOL

28. What's the craziest thing you'd do for 1 million $?

29. Are you a religious person?

30. What other sites do you frequent besides ozzu.com?

Post more questions everyone.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh bloody hell.

I'll come back when I am not in meetings. (Damn you flavah :) )
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:

It's a good thing this was never asked in my GTKY, because everyone would've had a good three-page rant to read :evil:

I'll be sure to dig up some questions for this later today.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Are you still living in Cary, NC? If yes, have your thoughts changed from your previous post? If not, tell us about where you live.

Yep. Still live here. I have had the opportunity to move... just not the inclination. I think if I do decide to move it will be to Florida where my folks live. They are getting up there in years and I am certain given my dad's health issues I have not much time left to share with him. As for now, I am still here. Cary has not changed that much. Despite the down turn in economic prosperity (generally speaking), this town is actually registering a modicum of growth. That's always a good sign.

2. Are yous till a huge cigar freak?

Absolutely. In fact, I work from the local tobacconist (he has WiFi) 3 days a week now. :)

3. Has a typical workday changed much for you since the last GTKY?

Sad to say, yes. It's less about opportunity to innovate and more about making good use of time (from a bean-counter perspective). So we ended up taking commercial customers onto the infrastructure, which is a tremendous pain -- even more so than consulting with them. Why is it when someone pays you 20 million dollars, they think they own you? :)
Obviously the climate is tough right now, so with everyone scrambling in the corporate world to "look good" there's less 'real good' going on. That is the saddest fact with the corporate situation at the moment.

On the plus side, I volunteer a great deal with the 3d Web/ metaverse application-ware environments (such as Second Life) for the company. That has provided me some interesting hours and brushes with greatness -- perhaps more so than I would have anticipated in my real gig.

4. I notice you like to travel a lot. Any new travels since your last GTKY?

When was the last one? 2 Years? Hmm, Australia, France, England (several times)... NYC, Boulder CO... and of course the hotbed of excitement, St Louis Mo. ;) I can't think of any others.

5. Do you have a personal blog/site?

Oh hell no.

Actually I have an internal blog on our intranet -- which is sort of required. Of course I have been neglecting it. :)

6. What's the meaning behind your nickname?

Well, nothing too intriguing. Daemon -- for the FreeBSD Daemon, or a running process in Unix... and guy.. well. You get the idea. I actually ended up using for something once because every other nickname I wanted was somehow taken; it sort of stuck after that.

7. What did you do this past weekend?

Took my wife to the beach. Kid was at Boy Scout camp and so I took a few days off and spent a long weekend here;
http://www.thewinds.com/

8. Tell us about your current living arrangements. (Who you live with, in a house/apartment, etc)

I have a house smack dab in the middle of Cary. I lucked out and found one with some land around it; most homes here are right next to one another being right in the middle of town. Will come in handy when I decide to sell.
I live with my wife and kid ... and two insane Boston Terriers.

10. Tell us something about your self that we might find surprising.

Hmm. That's a tough one.
I hold a black belt in Ninjutsu? I am able to shoot skeet -- with a 9mm pistol?

11. What are you listening to right now?

I have this great new app for my ipod touch called Pandora. It's attached to the music genome project. Essentially you log in (free) and enter a type of music, an artist or a song and it creates a relational connection based on many factors to other songs of similar nature. As you listen you can 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down'; enough of those will add more factors to the relationships and thus would play less or more depending on the rate of success. It's wonderfully geeky and provides excellent music. To whit... I was listening my own "Frank Sinatra" channel this time, and I believe the song that was playing when I began composing this diatribe was "Luck be a Lady".

12. What kind of car do you drive? (post a photo!)

I still have my S2000.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/8/799354 ... 9d.jpg?v=0
No that is not mine, but it's similar -- mine is all black interior.

I have been getting new car fever lately though. I am seriously considering losing my convertible for an Infinity G37 coupe sport 6mt with the sports package.
http://build.infiniti.com/configurator_ ... 3D_TE_SPTM

It's not set in stone yet, however if for 2009 they offer a convertible version -- I am sold.

13. Would you rather scream at the top of your lungs for an hour straight, or have your eyes glued shut for a day?

Considering I used to command when I was in the military -- I would choose scream for an hour. I can do that standing on my head. :)

14. If you could be any Disney character, who would you be and why?

That's a tough one. I am a huge Disney-maniac -- the resorts anyway.
So do you mean animated or non-animated? :)
If animated, the genie from Alladin -- being able to snap your fingers and just go anywhere would be pretty spectacular.
If non-animated ... Captain Jack Sparrow -- same reason. ;)

1. Slow drivers. I mean the ones doing 30 in a 55.
2. Lost drivers. Ok, if you are that bad at reading maps, get a GPS.
3. Old Drivers. See 1 & 2. (No, I do not count myself yet. :) )
4. Pansy drivers. The ones who zoom right up and follow 2 inches from your bumper so that you move over to let them pass and they refuse to lead in fear of getting ticket themselves.
5. ANYONE in my way. :)

16. Guilty pleasures & bad habits (cigarettes, gum, candy, etc) Give us the dirt!

I gave up cigarettes in '92. Cigars I guess. I do like single malt scotch, but I would not call it a bad habit. I actually don't like candy much, or gum. I have been on an edamame kick as of late; I practically eat them every night. :) Good snack.

17. Fave style of music.

I like a lot of different kinds. I like the old lounge acts like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. I like old school rap and even some of the newer stuff. I like some of the rock where they actually sing. I still listen to some of the old 70's and 80's music. I do not like country or anything with the terms 'heavy' or 'metal' associated with that genre. :)

18. What has better looking legs, a seagull or a chicken?

Chicken. They taste better.

19. What are you up to today?

Working, same as nearly every day.

20. Least favorite place you have travelled to?

Ever or just since I have been with this company? If ever... well... hell. I would have to say, of those I can mention... probably Kuwait. Of those with the company, Paris.

21. Are you a 2 finger typer or do you use all your fingers to type properly?

I try to use all my fingers... but I learned to type from programming before "typing classes" were widely available. I know I know, bad me.

22. What are some of your hobbies?

3d internet technology, football, poker.

23. Would you eat a live hissing cockroach if someone were to give you $1,000?

I thought about this before after watching one of those ridiculous shows on TV and I think my answer would be the same. I would not intentionally do anything that made me look foolish simply because someone threw money in my face. I would like to think that I had enough wherewithal to forgo fiduciary gain for the preservation of my integrity.
Bump that up to 100 million, and I would have to re-evaluate. :)

24. Who was your fave superhero growing up?

The Saint. Is he a superhero? Hmm Spiderman.

25. Do you have any pets

Yes, two Boston Terriers. Sam and Frodo. :) Yes, THAT Sam and Frodo.

26. Tell us about the last thing you were thinking about.

I could do the smart ass thing and say "Sam and Frodo", but I won't. Before this? Deployment dates for one of my customers and how I can manage the resources required to meet that challenge.

27. What do you do to stay in shape? Or do you do anything at all? LOL

I walk/run and lift weights. I know I will never be the shape I was even 11 years ago... but I want to be good for my age. :)

28. What's the craziest thing you'd do for 1 million $?

I don't know; what do you have in mind? ;)

29. Are you a religious person?

No, not really. I believe what I believe... but what i do not believe in is organized religion.

30. What other sites do you frequent besides ozzu.com?

There's something else? :)
Well let's see. Woot.com, Engadget.com, gizmodo.com, slashdot.org, blog.secondlife.com, eightbar.co.uk.
Of course, gmail. :)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love Endgadget.com!! :) Great answers. Come on ppl throw some on him! :)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote][b]31. Tarheels or Blue Devils?[/b][/quote]

[quote][b]32. Due you have any collections?[/b][/quote]

[quote][b]33. Edemame rocks! Are you a sushi guy?[/b][/quote]

[quote][b]34. Review the last movie you watched.[/b][/quote]

[quote][b]35. Do you drink? If so, what do you usually order at the bar?[/b][/quote]
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

31. Tarheels or Blue Devils?

Neither. A) I am not a basketball fan (and the football here sucks) and B) I went to school in Florida. ;)

32. Due you have any collections?

Souls.

Hmm... I have a collection of computers, though I am down since last time. Only 9 active right now. Cigars; I have some dating back to 87.

33. Edemame rocks! Are you a sushi guy?

Oh yeah, love it. Uni is my favorite variety.

34. Review the last movie you watched.

I think the last one was Iron Man; took the boy. Gadget dream movie. I would like to say it was an inventive thriller detailing in subtle ways man's inhumanity to man. Creative juxtaposition of light and sound to emphasize the dichotomy of the two facets of human-kind.

However it was just a kick-ass action movie loaded with toys.

35. Do you drink? If so, what do you usually order at the bar?

Scotch. Single malt, nothing younger than 12 years. Hint of water to release the peaty-goodness.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
32. Due you have any collections?

Souls.

*pause for effect*

ROFLMAO :lol:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Possibly the greatest question/answer combination ever? :lol:
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

[b]36. Favorite TV series?[/b]
[b]37. Favorite Computer Game?[/b]
[b]38. Favorite meal?[/b]
[b]39. Which Browser do you currently use?[/b]
[b]40. If a movie was being made about your life, which actor would be best suited to play the role of you?[/b]
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

36. Favorite TV series?

Current or all-time?
Former is easy; Heroes.

The latter... not so much. Perhaps the Saint, or the BBC produced version in series form of Sherlock Holmes.

37. Favorite Computer Game?

HL2

38. Favorite meal?

Another tough one -- making me think.

Toss up between sushi and either a filet from the Canadian Pavilion at Disney World or paella.

39. Which Browser do you currently use?

FireFox 3.0

40. If a movie was being made about your life, which actor would be best suited to play the role of you?

No one would make a movie about my life; maybe my young life.
I don't know... maybe Stallone now for my older self.
I just don't know. I'll think about it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts