GTKY -- Thayk

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Tell us how you came across OZZU.

2. You list a few places as hometown, one of them being in Antartica. What's that like?

3. You're an environmentalist. What do you do for the environment?

4. Would you rather be on time and not look your best or be a bit late and look perfect?

5. Do you speak any other languages besides English?

6. What kind of music can do you listen to?

7. How many hours a day do you spend on Ozzu?

8. Who is your hero?

9. Finish this sentence "My life's motto is..."

10. Do you have any pets?

11. Spam us. Give us a few sites you think we should visit.

12. What does your username mean?

13. What is your fave movie?

14. What accomplishment(s) are you most proud of?

15. What are you listening to right now?

16. Guilty pleasures & bad habits (cigarettes, gum, candy, etc) Give us the dirt!

17. If you ran into yourself that was 30 yrs older what do you think you would tell yourself today?

18. Any useless talents? (double jointed, tongue can touch nose, great animal noises imitations, etc)

19. Are you reading anything interesting at the moment?

20. What are you most afraid of?

21. Do you have one article of clothing in your closet that is your favorite?

22. What is your take on UFOs?

23. What is your earliest childhood memory?

24. Do you believe in the after life?

25. What are some of your hobbies?

26. Who would you like to see as the next GTKY victim? (please make sure to pick someone who frequents the site often.)

27. Would you rather have 1 wish granted today or 10 yrs from now?

28. Anything exciting to share with us?

29. Would you rather overthrow a dictatorship or lead one?

30. What did you do this past weekend?

Post more questions everyone.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

31. Do you believe that Skynet or a similiar A.I would be an effective solution to the pestillence of the species homosapien on this planet?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

wohooo... quite a surprise. been never flattered here in ozzu than this. ill try to answer these questions over the weekend. i still have to re compose myself after a week in children's hospital....
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

32. Give us 3 of your favorite songs.

33. When in doubt.....

34. Global warming - fact or fiction?
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

35. Favourite Programming Language (if any)?

36. Who's your favourite band/singer?

37. If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?

38. If you were admin for one day at Ozzu, what would you do?
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the weekend is over let's get cracking!
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, im filling this out. sorry for the delay. answers to follow. :)
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Tell us how you came across OZZU.

Third quarter last year. I was looking for RAM compatibility resources online. Then bump into a forum that sounds like BOZo (clown). I find the forum very interesting. Its appearance of dark gray theme is very magnetic. Its easy to read. No sweat hopping between threads. Since then, I was stuck.

2. You list a few places as hometown, one of them being in Antartica. What's that like?

I live in Davao City, Philippines. It’s a big city (second world’s largest in terms of area) yet it’s a community. People are close knitted and have the propensity of closeness as if they know each other. It is also claimed to be the most livable city in the Philippines, 18th in Asia according to Asiaweek survey, most peaceful city in East Asia, most child-friendly city in the country…just to mention a few. I admire living here coz of its relative peaceful atmosphere. Of course people here do live in a culture of discipline. It’s a big no-no for smoking on public places (including sidewalks) or you will end up literally eating your cigarette butts.

Commodity prices are low, basic services standards are high, beaches are awesome, night lifes are fantastic. Best of all, people are very hospitable and smiling.

My mention of Antartica is just an exaggeration. Actually been there just twice. The last time was on Jan 2003 I went to Showa Research Station. I belong to a group of technical support staff who have received a grant from JBIC to do a cross visit to Japan’s research stations particularly the Arctic Environment Research Center of National Institute of Polar Research to do, among others, hands on training on marine biology, geo spatial survey, data gathering, remote sensing. We planned to reach the pole but was told that it would entails us additional cost and is a very risky business. So we backed off and never reached the south pole actually. Showa Station is still far from the South Pole. Nearest named reference is the Queen Maud Land.

3. You're an environmentalist. What do you do for the environment?

For two reasons. One, me a member of Greenpeace International. I write letter of appeals to governments, corporations and entities who require a nudge to get back their consciousness on environmental issues. Two, I work for Japan Bank for International Cooperation environmental project. Its named Southern Mindanao Integrated Coastal Zone Management Project. The project aims to rehabilitate a big portion of critical environs located in Mindanao Island. We do reforestations, coastal resource management, construction of infrastructures like river flood control and siltation check dams, establishment of conservation, protection and research centers, construction of septage treatment facilities in coastal towns to mitigate pollution in environmentally critical areas, biodiversity assessment, teaching people living in watershed areas to adapt eco-conscious way of living …. Thought I don’t have degree on natural and environmental sciences to claim I am a bona fide environmentalist, perhaps my career will qualify me to be one.

4. Would you rather be on time and not look your best or be a bit late and look perfect?

I choose the former. I have that contradiction since my university days. It seems like time is always tight and still I don’t look like my best….

5. Do you speak any other languages besides English?

Local tongue (about five of them) and a little Spanish.

6. What kind of music can do you listen to?

Wide ranging. Depending on the mood. At the moment I am enjoying chillout music by Bonobo and Yanni. But my taste for music is varied. The genre I love includes new wave, hard rock, classical, operatic, rap, experimental, grunge, jazz like ECM etc. Except those kind of music which may trigger the violence in you, like Britney Spears…

7. How many hours a day do you spend on Ozzu?

As long as I have net connections.

8. Who is your hero?

Karl Marx. For giving us a concept of utopian economic system which the world may embrace to resolve its inequality and get rid of those greedy capitalist system. Inception of those ideas, of course, don’t come easy. Herr Karl undergoes a trial far more oppressive than one can imagine. Read his autobiography. It’s a tear jerker.

9. Finish this sentence "My life's motto is..."

Never settle for anything less than the best.

10. Do you have any pets?

A Golden Labrador. A Wolf Dog, and a pack of toy dogs called Japanese Spitz.

11. Spam us. Give us a few sites you think we should visit.

a) Wired – Read the future.
b) 3d Text Maker-It basically allows you to create animated text gifs online, and then save them to your hard-drive for use on websites, e-mails, and anything else you care to decorate.
c) Paper CD Case-This first one contains an amazingly simple idea that anyone who buys CDs to burn in a spindle, will find really useful.
d) Woophy—World of photography.
e) Skyscanner—I use this site everytime I look for budget flight.
f) Pixsy-- a powerfull search engine for visual search engines.
g) GenPets--for those pet lovers who wants to tweak their pet’s DNAs, this site is where you can read all about these genetically produced playthings.
h) Global Consciousness—oh I love the idea of this site.
i) Reuters –Id been regular on this site since I have worked on a newspaper as wires liaison. Great photojournalism.
j) Mensa—okay, I didn’t qualify when I joined. Now, gauge how smart you are by visiting this site.
k) Fantasy Premier League—to those hooligans (like me) out there who are football fanatics.
l) Computer Companion—handy PC operations manual.
m) BrainPOP--But do not be fooled by the candy colours and funky animations, these pages contain some fairly heavy duty educational material, presented in a way that makes it interesting and entertaining to absorb.
n) My Virtual Bartender—know what you’re gulping. My Virtual Bartender is the home of an agreeable young lady who will remember your name and make small talk with you as you discuss the drinks you want to know about.
o) Bong Seg Folio—My friend and idol in graphical arts. This is his folio.

12. What does your username mean?

That’s my pseudonym. Thayk Ferols, is actually an anagram of a woman’s name, Kathy Flores, which is also a pseudonym of a Filipina nurse who grow up in Brighton, UK. I met her in a mobile fone WAP chatroom. To make it muscular, I shuffled it to Thayk Ferols. Hope to make it a legally acceptable someday.

I use this name to affix in all my creative write ups and net blogs.

13. What is your fave movie?

The Matrix. I was really captivated by Larry and Andy Wachowski’s leap in film creations. Plus the phenomenal visual effects by John Gaeta. Other films that made it up to my list include Hero by Yimou Zhang (2002), Trainspotting by Danny Boyle (1996), The Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa (1954), In Dreams by Akira Kurosawa (1990, also stars Martin Scorcese). I also admire those work of avant garde directors like Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorcese.

14. What accomplishment(s) are you most proud of?

Able to help in the successful implementation of our environmental projects in SMICZMP.

15. What are you listening to right now?

Moby’s We are made up of Stars.

16. Guilty pleasures & bad habits (cigarettes, gum, candy, etc) Give us the dirt!

Ehem, hope this wont categorize as absurd and vulgar but I do maXXXXXXte alot even though I am already married (my wife doesn’t know this lol).

17. If you ran into yourself that was 30 yrs older what do you think you would tell yourself today?

“Hey, Thayk, I’ve seen you in the future and your body started to contort! You should do a lot of workout now! Get plenty of running to lessen your belly and be gentle on food!”

18. Any useless talents? (double jointed, tongue can touch nose, great animal noises imitations, etc)

Oh yeah, I can move my ears independently.

19. Are you reading anything interesting at the moment?

Aside from these questions, I am reading James Clavel’s Sun Tzu: The Art of War. Though my vacant time before bed time is occupied by Umberto Eco and Italo Calvino softbounds.

20. What are you most afraid of?

Failure. I am also easily get intimidated by a voluptuous, sexy yet smart lady who’ll start to crack up “Hi, Ive found you attractive, can you dance with me?”

21. Do you have one article of clothing in your closet that is your favorite?

A knitted jacket by Mark and Spencer. It has been with me for three years now and still wearing it regularly.

22. What is your take on UFOs?

Ah, common, they’re just a product of wild imaginations of those who wouldnt want to dig dipper in search for scientific answers. I’m skeptics though. Im curious how do this so called phantom fliers go change over time. When technology’s getting sophisticated, so are the sightings.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

23. What is your earliest childhood memory?

It’s in a dream. A nightmare. I was about 3 or four then. Been struggling to breath and drowning in a very deep manhole beneath out house’s stairway. Its filled with water. Then a hand of a handsome guy help me. He is smiling and his face is very clear to me though I can’t remember if I met him in real life or have seen him in any printed material. I can still recall those vivid face today.

24. Do you believe in the after life?

No. Since setting my foot in university i began questioning those kind of beliefs (including the concept of creation). Call me agnostic.

25. What are some of your hobbies?

Books. I read a lot of books. Diving. Mountain climb and any other outdoor activities. Basketball. cooking and computer games.

26. Who would you like to see as the next GTKY victim? (please make sure to pick someone who frequents the site often.)

Xglfx. If he still posting, I nominate him. Else, hope we can convince him to reactivate in this forum. Maybe we can send him a PM

27. Would you rather have 1 wish granted today or 10 yrs from now?

Wish grant delayed is wish grant denied.:)

28. Anything exciting to share with us?

Nothing's brewing but i just let you know when there's something in the offing.

29. Would you rather overthrow a dictatorship or lead one?

I rather led a revolution than to be the ousted. Its better to be remembered as the one who fought an oppressive tyrant than to be the dark icon of history. Talking about Mahatma Gandhi, Sir William Wallace, Ferdinand Marcos, Saddam Husein.

30. What did you do this past weekend?

Spend my time with my 1 year old only son (only child) who have just recently got out of hospital after contracting pneumonia. Then later, doing some blitzkrieg on my PC with Company of Heroes. Nice game.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

31. Do you believe that Skynet or a similiar A.I would be an effective solution to the pestillence of the species homosapien on this planet?

I do believe artificial intelligence is the next big thing that will happen in the of the history of planet Earth. Be it a solution to the so called plague including the human race, no one can tell, but I see it coming. Computing power and sophisticated algorithms had been advancing in exponential proportion. Time can only tell when this things come into reality. Hope, and I just darn hope, human race and A.I. would just mutually co-exist on that day.

32. Give us 3 of your favorite songs.

Fields of Gold by Sting
Canon in D by Pachelbel
Where the Streets Have No Name by U2

33. When in doubt.....

Ut in nuto , vexo a lamnia lammina lamna

34. Global warming - fact or fiction?

FACT! And its about to swallow us.

35. Favourite Programming Language (if any)?

GW BASIC. Back in highschool we were asked to make a tic-tac-toe game out of those REM IF THEN ELSE GOTO line stack. quite primitive.

36. Who's your favourite band/singer?

U2

37. If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?

And if in every wish granted, my mother in law get double…

It should be first, ill ask 5 billion bucks (she’ll get 10 Billion tp squander), Second, ill ask for 100 years of life (shell live 200 more years) and third, ill ask to be mugged half to death (shell be dead) LOL

Kidding aside, ill ask that Africa be the center of Economic prosperity in this planet. Second, let there be cure for AIDS and cancer. Third, let there be three more wishes to grant.

38. If you were admin for one day at Ozzu, what would you do?

Reverse all the members' ranking so that new members will start as guru. In this sense, new posters will not be intimidated….
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

it seems xglfx no longer's posting, i nominate MasterZ instead....
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

39. If you could get paid to do anything at all... what would it be?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

39. If you could get paid to do anything at all... what would it be?

Read books. All kinds of books.

it seems like interview isnt finish yet hohoho.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

40. If your employer requested that you do some type of volunteer work what would you choose to do?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

40. If your employer requested that you do some type of volunteer work what would you choose to do?

Plant trees perhaps? Or I may expound on that. It would be a massive, sustainable tree planting. But replanting trees on denuded areas of former rain forests isnt enough. We have to factor in the communities that live in the areas. Call that social forestry. We have to teach and help those people how to make a living without disturbing the ecosystem by giving then alternative livelihood. Livelihood that wont encourage the cutting of trees. It is empirical to see what causes the denudation of forest. Effective rehabilitation of forest is about managing people as well. Because Nature left alone can manage by itself.

I have done that kind of voluntary work before. I volunteered to assist an upland community to help them get organized, plan an effective alternative livelihood, seek fund source for the identified projects and ultimately, tapping them in the planting of trees. Making them the principal player in rehabilitation of environment will give them the sense of ownership and participation. I still love to do that volunteer work again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts