GTKY -- This213

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Tell us how you came across OZZU.

2. Your profile states you're from the East Coast. How far east are you?

3. What's the meaning behind your nickname?

4. I see you're a developer, what do you develop in?

5. Are you a student or do you work for the big man? If you go to school, tell us about your school. If you work, tell us a bit about the company that employs you.

7. What is http://www.ribosi.com/ all about?

9. Who is your hero?

10. Finish this sentence "My life's motto is..."

11. What's your favorite day of the week?

12. Is there someone from your past you wish you could go back and talk to? Doesn't have to be someone who has passed on. Could be someone you had a fall out with.

13. In 3 words, describe an object in your room.

14. Would you rather be forced to preface everything you say with the phrase "Tuck it in" under threat of being slapped or have a magnetic head?

15. What accomplishment(s) are you most proud of?

16. What was your earliest childhood memory?

17. What did you do this past weekend?

18. What are you listening to right now?

19. Any useless talents? (double jointed, tongue can touch nose, great animal noises imitations, etc)

20. They say that everyone will eventually get their 15 minutes of fame. Have you had yours?

21. What's your favorite childrens' book?

22. Are you an extravert or an intravert?

23. What's your earliest childhood memory?

24. Do you speak/write any other language besides English?

25. Would you say you are an introvert or an extrovert?

26. Do you have any obsessions?

27. Who would you like to see as the next GTKY victim?

28. Least favorite thing to do in the whole world?

29. Which way does a "No Smoking" sign's slash run?

30. When was the last time you really got in trouble and payed the price?

31. City life or country life, which one suits you better and why?

Post more questions everyone.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

HAHA! Your turn mate!

32) Do you like microsoft
33) are you planning on writting your own OS
34) what is the worst system solution you have ever seen (software and hardware)

will think of more :)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sent him a PM to check this thread, does he come on here often?
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

He does when he can, think he might have to much work at the moment though
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, where do I start? I just got back from vacation to find all of this. Just what does GTKY stand for anyway, Gnome Took Kit Yearly? jk, but that was the first thing I thought when I saw the letters.

To just start right in:
1. Good question. If I remember correctly, I was looking for an alternative to Devshed because their heads had swelled too much over there. Googled for something like "developer forum" and found Ozzu with it's excellent community.

2. I live in Waynesboro, VA, USA. My job used to have me travelling quite a bit to just about everywhere from Dover, DE to Homestead AFB, FL, so "east coast" seemed appropriate.

3. My nickname is something of a private joke. This refering to myself as a standard class and 213 meaning that the object is out of sorts.

4. When speaking non-professionally to people, I generally just tell them that I'm a developer and that usually stops any consequent conversations about my job. I do develop Linux management applications and scripts for servers as well as write web sites here and there (mostly e-commerce and data-centric sites). Generally speaking, I write in whatever language I need to accomplish a given goal. For applications, this is usually C or C++ and for web sites it's usually PHP/Postgres. My history includes development in Java, ASP and LotusNotes as well though I try to stay away form those as much as possible (too much hassle for too little return).

5. I am the man, I'm Chief Operating Officer of Ribosi Internet Solutions. This means that it's my responsibility to not only write code, but to lay out what code needs to be written taking into consideration whether it is something that will strengthen Ribosi Internet Solutions' product offerings. While that sounds all haughty, my real job is to make sure code get completed within deadlines, make sure contracted servers (and our own) are being managed properly, meet with clients and prospective clients, make sure computers are being sold, built, and supported properly (we're a Linux Value Added Reseller), and do tons of paperwork.

6. There is no 6? Unlucky number for you?

7. The web site is mainly there to host the contact information and a listing of our services. Enough about work though....

8. Just lump this with #6.

9. Thomas Edison

10. ...far too complex to sum up in a single sentence and pointless to try. Always do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. You only have 1 soul. Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it right. Countless other snappy short sentences.

11. I don't really have a favorite day. I make my own hours, so, generally speaking, if I want to do something I just do it. In reality, this usually means working 6 days a week or doing something that so closely resembles work that it might as well be considered such.

12. Yes. If you get to accumulate any number of years and there is no one you'd like to go back and talk to again, you're probably doing something wrong.

13. Silver, heavy, large

14. What an odd question. Well, seeing as how the human head is magnetic, I guess I'd take that option. To expound on that a bit, every Human has a small magnetic iron deposit above the brige of their nose which was used by our ancestors to migrate (I watch too many Dicovery and History channel programs). In the spirit of the question, I also think it might be neat to be able to store paperclips and staples on my cheaks so I'd always know where to find them ;)

15. To date, myself and a partner have built Ribosi up from nothing in about 2 years. When I say nothing, I mean we had no starting capital, no office and even borrowed a couple servers in exchange for some work. Ribosi still isn't a huge company, but the fact that it's still around after 2 years makes me feel pretty good.

16. Riding my grandfather's riding lawnmower.

17. Played a lot of Star Wars Battlefront 2.

18. Adrenalin Drum - Last Night

19. I can do some pretty neat bird calls. My largest useless talent though would have to be the tons of useless knowledge my brain contains (like that bit about the iron deposits in #14)

20. No, and I don't want it. I'd rather be the guy in the background making sure someone else's 15 minutes of fame went smoothly.

21. The less intelligent a book, the less I've liked it. Growing up, I read a lot of Asimov's SF magazines, does that count?

22. Intravert, I have too much fun watching other makes fools of themselves. Another of life's mottos: Be silent and they may think you a fool, open your mouth and you may prove them right.

23. Still the same as #16, I haven't lost that memory just yet.

24. I used to speak French, German and Laotian, but it's been at least a decade since I've tried to use any of those. To be fair, I only took German for 1 year in an accelerated 3rd grade class, and french I only learned enough of to properly tell off my 9th grade French teacher (who had no idea what I was saying for the most part, but found out soon enough through his own research).

25. I don't think my personality has changed all that much since answering #22.

26. Heck yeah: Knowledge. I'm absolutely obsessed with getting as much knowledge as possible about as many different things as possible.

27. No idea, I haven't even properly searched though to see who else has been a victim yet.

28. When I first got out of the USAF, I worked as a welder at a waste water treatment plant. I can think of quite a few there that have got to be really high on the global list of worst things in the world to be doing.

29. It doesn't run in any direction, it's just a 45 degree line (or 225 degrees, depending on how you percieve the world).

30. When I put a combination of JP6 (jet fuel) and split-fire spark plugs into a 1978 Dodge Diplomat police interceptor (318ci, 8cyl)

31. Country life. I like peace and quite.

32. No, I don't hate M$. I believe in using the right tool for the job and Windows is the right tool for the home desktop. However, I also believe that Windows machines have no place in corporate networks as there is nothing that a company needs that couldn't be done with either a Linux system or a Mac in a professional sense.

33. Actually, I's currently modifying CentOS to be a centralized distribution for all future Linux systems provided by Ribosi Internet Solutions. So yes.

34. Wow, just 1? Well, the one that springs to mind here was this "cluster" of 400 Dell GX1's, except it wasn't really a cluster. A request would go to the "primary" box and be completely handled, then, after the request, the "primary" would copy everything over to each of the other 399 boxes. I got called because the client wanted to know just how a cluster could have such poorer response times than if they were running the primary system by itself.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some nice answers there mate! Glad to hear you were on holiday
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome back from vacation and wow that was hard to follow without the questions being next to each answer! hehe. YOu will have to think of a victim though, if you can't think of anyone, just pick someone who is always online or something :)
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does Rabid Dog have one of these? RD, you knew I'd say that, didn't you?
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fraid so - RD fell victim just prior to you.

//EDIT: In fact, you have RD to thank for nominating you in the first place! :D
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
Does Rabid Dog have one of these? RD, you knew I'd say that, didn't you?

Yip, but I thought I would stir the pot :)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please pick someone else! :D
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh and GTKY = getting to know you
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here we go!

35 ) An pets/unwanted geusts?

36 ) How long have you been doing your current job at Ribosi?

37 ) Is it a company that you started yourself?

38 ) Whats your favorite thing about ozzu?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Candidate: onlyican.com

35. A dog named Dusty who seems to be part antelope. She's a mutt, half Lab, half english setter (she can point and retrieve?). When I got her, she looked like a sheep dog - a big ball of dark grey and black fur. The first thing I did was give her a bath and then I realized that she was actually bright white and black (setter colors), which is how she got her name. I actually wish I had a picture of how she looked then so I could show people the comparison.

36 & 37: See #15 above.

38. The best thing about Ozzu is its community, period. Most developer forums are filled with eletists - some of which don't even kow what they're talking about. Though I won't say that I've never seen that here, it's certainly to a lesser degree than most other forums of this type (see point #1 above).
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:

... The best thing about Ozzu is its community, period. Most developer forums are filled with eletists ....

That's 'elitists' BTW. :)

Sorry, just could not resist. ;)
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, I'm human too :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts