21-gun salute

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see it on TV all the time. A collection of 7 military personnel fire three rounds at a military or police funeral. For some reason or another, I wondered what the meaning was behind it. Wikipedia to the rescue. :) Turns out I didn't know as much as I thought I did. It's actually called the 3-volley salute. Thought it was worth a share.

Quote:
The 3-volley salute is a ceremonial act performed at military and police funerals as part of the drill and ceremony of the Honor Guard. It consists of a rifle party firing blank cartridges into the air three times. The custom originates from the European dynastic wars, where the fighting ceased for the dead and wounded to be removed, then three shots were fired into the air to signal that the battle could resume.[1]

A rifle party usually has an odd number of members, from 3 to 7. The firearm used is typically a rifle, but at some police funerals, shotguns or handguns are used. The party usually stands so that the muzzles are pointed over the casket, or some distance away if the funeral attendees are too close to it. If the service is being performed indoors, the firing party stands outside the building, often near the front entrance.[2] On the command of the NCO-in-charge, the party raises their weapons and fires three times in unison.[2]

Wikipedia Article
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 1 post