Voting Chart

Total votes : 17

Are guns good or bad?

  •  
    Good
  •  
    Bad
  •  
    Undecided

Guns, are they good or bad?

  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can kill people with forks and baseball bats but those aren't banned any where. Its all in your intentions and how you use it, it can either be a tool or a weapon. I'm a hunter, so my rifle is a tool. But if you go out and buy a shotgun and cut it down really short so that it is easier to move around tight corners and stuff then you are intending to use it as a weapon and that is when it starts getting bad.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • sterweber
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even though it's fun to use them as a hobby, I believe it's just obvious that they are bad. Anything that is made to kill people is bad.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8399
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you are saying that the reason for a creation of a tool is what makes it good/bad?


According to what you said, knives are usually made to cut food, but could be used to cut people, but since its made to cut food than it's ok.

The gun is made to kill so it's bad.
  • sterweber
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 11

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
You can kill people with forks and baseball bats but those aren't banned any where. Its all in your intentions and how you use it, it can either be a tool or a weapon. I'm a hunter, so my rifle is a tool. But if you go out and buy a shotgun and cut it down really short so that it is easier to move around tight corners and stuff then you are intending to use it as a weapon and that is when it starts getting bad.


Forks and baseball bats aren't made to kill or hurt people, guns are, that's a big difference. I'm not saying I'm against guns since humans always find something to hurt each other with and we need to protect ourselves and our loved ones but saying that guns are not bad is a bit weird imo.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8399
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

sterweber wrote:
Forks and baseball bats aren't made to kill or hurt people, guns are, that's a big difference.

Yes, but forks and baseballs are still used to hurt people... maybe I'm just missing your point... I seem to be good at that :lol:
  • sterweber
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 11

Post 3+ Months Ago

If something is made with bad intentions that makes it a bad thing :)
Also what good things can you do with guns, honestly?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8399
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hunt animals for food, entertain...
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 45
  • Loc: Jupiter, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally think guns are an avoidable evil.

Yes, guns can be used for hunting, but there are many other ways to hunt. Nets, bows, knives,...etc. I don't believe in hunting either. There are plenty of ways to obtain food, other than hunting now-a-days(if you don't live in a third world country), but that isn't the issue being discussed.

Guns just lead to problems. I mean just look at the statistics(tried to post a link, but not authorized to...google ftw).

I think guns should be outlawed worldwide. Yes, it would take a huge amount of work and time to get rid of almost all the guns in the world (there's always gonna be someone that can make them, and will make them), but I think it's something that should be implemented. Start on it NOW, so we can be safer tomorrow.

Here's a little story about something that happened to me recently:

I was driving down the road with my friend and I saw a person with their gas tank left open. When we came to a red light I told my friend I was going to get out really quick and let the person know. Before I was able to my friend said, "NO, don't get out of your car and walk up to their window. I've heard stories of people getting shot for walking up to someone's car window."

That fear of being shot, even though I didn't fully believe I would be shot, for walking up to the person's car to tell them their gas tank was open, or even shutting it really quickly for them, stopped me from doing so.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sterweber- It isn't the guns fault that people use it to kill other people. Like they say: Guns don't kill people, people kill people. A gun can't pull its own trigger is what I'm getting at. In the right hands a gun is a tool, kind of like vice grips or a pocket knife. And a pocket knife can kill people too, accidentally or on purpose, its all in how its being used and what the person's intentions are. I think if we regulate it and make it so that violent criminals cannot get guns, and make the penalty harsh if they ever do, then we can find a good middle ground.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8399
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with kc0tma... stricter laws wouldn't stop criminals from being criminals and abusing guns, but the punishment would have them think twice (if it's harsh enough) before actually abusing the guns.

Also, people are wrong to think that if there were no guns then there would be world peace or something to that effect. Think about it... most people died from arrows and broadswords then from guns.

Look at the statistics

The only modern thing that I recognize there is the World War 2 and that's because of the Atom Bomb and the Jews.
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I agree with kc0tma... stricter laws wouldn't stop criminals from being criminals and abusing guns, but the punishment would have them think twice (if it's harsh enough) before actually abusing the guns.

Also, people are wrong to think that if there were no guns then there would be world peace or something to that effect. Think about it... most people died from arrows and broadswords then from guns.

Look at the statistics

The only modern thing that I recognize there is the World War 2 and that's because of the Atom Bomb and the Jews.


So someone who obtains a gun illegally with the intent of causing harm, would be more worried that they might get a stronger slap on the wrist for possessing a gun... versus committing homicide with said weapon? Negative. Besides, at least here int he states 'punishment' is defined differently throughout the republic. Each state defines what the transgressor will receive as punishment.

Gun laws do nothing but keep guns out of the hands of the individuals who rightfully and lawfully desire to possess them. If I want a 'drop gun' I can get one on any city street for a hundred bucks. Even those countries which have draconian gun laws, it's quite simple to obtain them if you know where to go.

If a person's intent is to do harm, then they will do harm regardless of the tools available at one's disposal.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
Gun laws do nothing but keep guns out of the hands of the individuals who rightfully and lawfully desire to possess them. If I want a 'drop gun' I can get one on any city street for a hundred bucks. Even those countries which have draconian gun laws, it's quite simple to obtain them if you know where to go.

If a person's intent is to do harm, then they will do harm regardless of the tools available at one's disposal.


Thats exactly the point I was getting at.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it ironically amusing that the Percussion Cap was invented by a preacher. (considering the good versus evil debate)
http://www.silcom.com/~vikman/isles/scr ... ssion.html

(SB will probably find it interesting that he was from his home town).
  • inspiro_Host
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guns are neither god nor bad on their own. Depends upon their usage. If you use them to protect yourself, they're good but if you use them to kill innocent people, that's bad obviously.
Moderator Remark: Removed spam information
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2008
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like shooting, I think it's a cool sport. But the problem is that 90% of the people I know I wouldn't trust with a firearm. People manage to hurt themselves in all sorts of weird ways with kitchen knives and pliers and doors and screwdrivers. And I think that more people get hurt from friendly fire (accidents, clumsiness) than from someone actually trying to attack them with a gun on purpose. People, sadly, are dumb. For that reason I'd say it's fine to shoot guns in a controlled environment, such as firing a few rounds off into a target at the shooting range, but walking around with a gun or having one in your home where your kid can get at it and maim themselves or a friend for life is just asking for trouble.

Just a few days ago we had a story in the paper where a kid had got hold of his dad's gun and was showing off to his friend and fumbled with the thing and shot the friend through the chest. The kid may yet survive, but jeez.

Also having a gun doesn't mean you're an awesome shot - the scenario where a maniac goes crazy and starts shooting people and then a random passer-by shoots the maniac's gun straight out of his hand and saves the day is sort of Die Hard material. In real life the guy trying to be a hero would be just as likely to hurt three other innocent people while trying to take down the mad gunman.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2008
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also I've read somewhere that people who own firearms in the house are more likely to get shot during robberies and such. If you have no gun, someone comes in and holds you up, you're probably gonna say 'fine man, take the tv, take whatever you want, don't hurt my family', and more than half the time they are gonna leave you alone. Not every criminal is casual about shooting people. If you have a gun though, you are more likely to get into a shooting match, and then either side has far higher risks of getting hurt. And that includes you and your kids.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8399
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
Also I've read somewhere that people who own firearms in the house are more likely to get shot during robberies and such. If you have no gun, someone comes in and holds you up, you're probably gonna say 'fine man, take the tv, take whatever you want, don't hurt my family', and more than half the time they are gonna leave you alone. Not every criminal is casual about shooting people. If you have a gun though, you are more likely to get into a shooting match, and then either side has far higher risks of getting hurt. And that includes you and your kids.

That is a very good point... but that doesn't mean necessarily that you have a gun, just that the robber knows that you have the gun and while the robbery is in progress. If though, the robber knows that you have a gun before actually robbing the place, the chance that an armed person would be robbed is reduced significantly in my opinion.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Celandine (I thought you were living on a tropical island somewhere) has some good points. I live in a rural part of Montana and it is not uncommon to see people carrying pistols into grocery stores and restaurants and such, and a lot of businesses have even put up signs that say no guns allowed in which case the person has to obey. But most of the people carrying them around look like they might be a little bit trigger happy and I am a little nervous around them.

There is a good side to having everyone armed though, about a year and a half ago when we moved into our house the gas station across the street got robbed. The two guys both had guns, and so did the other non-criminal people in the building. No shots were fired and the good guys wrestled the bad guys to the ground and held them until police arrived.

There is also the good side of guns, and that is good food. Its hunting season in many parts of the country right now including where I live, and I've been pursuing elk and deer but haven't had any luck.....until three days ago! I was on a kind of steep hillside watching a deer about 75 or 80 yards away and when I had a clear shot I took it and it was absolutely perfect, the bullet went through both lungs and the heart and the deer only made it a couple feet away before laying over dead. That was the easy part, then I had about a 2 mile trip to drag the animal down the hill over blown down timber to a road where I left it and then walked about another 2 miles or so to my pickup and drove back to recover it. I got it home and cooled down and butchered it and had a steak for dinner last night, tonight I start the long and tedious job of grinding meat.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6252
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Celandine (I thought you were living on a tropical island somewhere) has some good points. I live in a rural part of Montana and it is not uncommon to see people carrying pistols into grocery stores and restaurants and such, and a lot of businesses have even put up signs that say no guns allowed in which case the person has to obey. But most of the people carrying them around look like they might be a little bit trigger happy and I am a little nervous around them.

There is a good side to having everyone armed though, about a year and a half ago when we moved into our house the gas station across the street got robbed. The two guys both had guns, and so did the other non-criminal people in the building. No shots were fired and the good guys wrestled the bad guys to the ground and held them until police arrived.

There is also the good side of guns, and that is good food. Its hunting season in many parts of the country right now including where I live, and I've been pursuing elk and deer but haven't had any luck.....until three days ago! I was on a kind of steep hillside watching a deer about 75 or 80 yards away and when I had a clear shot I took it and it was absolutely perfect, the bullet went through both lungs and the heart and the deer only made it a couple feet away before laying over dead. That was the easy part, then I had about a 2 mile trip to drag the animal down the hill over blown down timber to a road where I left it and then walked about another 2 miles or so to my pickup and drove back to recover it. I got it home and cooled down and butchered it and had a steak for dinner last night, tonight I start the long and tedious job of grinding meat.


Do you ever make venison jerky? That stuff's delicious.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never have but I've got two nice big pieces of flank meat that cleaned up nicely and I have plans to build a small smoker so I might make some.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2008
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh my goshness!! Bambi is yummy. Best meat I ever had was young deer. It was in Macedonia, the restaurant had green walls and a surprising number of animal carcasses on the walls :D

heh, tropical island I wish!!!! Eastern Europe.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Posts: 565
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like guns, and I am fascinated using them, and some of these that are not really real but look real that I have used, I have never used a real gun.

But I don't think they are good in society, as there are too many crazy people out there and the easier you make it for them to do bad things, the more it will be done. That is true in many things, not just necessarily in guns.

If I see someone on the street at night with a gun, I would be frightened. Not sure about you?.

if I see someone at night with a knife, I would be still frightened but I would run as hell, with a gun I doubt I would have any chance.


So I think there should be a choice in this poll, that would allow guns in certain places, but it is way too complicated to come up with a "yes" or "no" question.

I voted no, because although in some places they would come quite handy. It would be the end of comfort as we know it in some other many places, if guns were literally allowed anywhere. I don't think some people realize how many crazy people are out there, that would shoot you if they had the opportunity, for whatever reason. But the hunting part is good I guess, so it begs the assumption that guns should be allowed in certain places only.


Now on a regular household, having a gun at home for emergency should be allowed maybe only if the gun was really on a safe place and with proper permission, and maybe by locations - some locations might be nominated dangerous and other safer, and out of the reach of anyone who does not have business with it.

But I know some times it is good to have protection if someone crazy wants to get into your house, and you feel impotent at the situation, at least to scare them away. Otherwise it would not be fair to be abused by someone trying to brake into your house.

Now, the constitution gives you the right to bear guns, but I think that was written many years ago, when all there was , was hunting and now things have changed, you have more suburbs places, it will be a tough one to change, knowing the political diagrams

These are my 2 cents.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Posts: 565
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Sterweber- It isn't the guns fault that people use it to kill other people. Like they say: Guns don't kill people, people kill people. A gun can't pull its own trigger is what I'm getting at. In the right hands a gun is a tool, kind of like vice grips or a pocket knife. And a pocket knife can kill people too, accidentally or on purpose, its all in how its being used and what the person's intentions are. I think if we regulate it and make it so that violent criminals cannot get guns, and make the penalty harsh if they ever do, then we can find a good middle ground.


LOL. that is like giving candy to kids, and telling them don't eat candy. :lol:

people kill people, but people kill more people when is facilitated even more.

Your point is too old to pass these days, that is like saying, cars don't drive themselves, people drive cars, it is obvious. But if you give cars to more people, you will see more people driving, no? :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're still not getting the point though. It is suppose to be obvious. People bash people's heads in with baseball bats but we don't ban those.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Posts: 565
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
You're still not getting the point though. It is suppose to be obvious. People bash people's heads in with baseball bats but we don't ban those.


So, are you saying we should ban baseball bats too?, now that is kind of ridiculously. Just about anything can be used as a weapon, doesn't mean everything has to be banned. Tho there are things that are seriously dangerous, as much as guns, nuclear weapons, deceases, viruses, etc. Not that you can ban all that, because you really can't, but as far as where is reasonable, I think it wouldn't be acceptable to let people kill other people, just because hunting is fun for some people. Though it should have limit to where it can apply.

Though if it comes to the case where, an exaggerated amount of people start dieing because baseball bats, supposedly speaking, I believe many will rally to get them banned also. Though we are no where near close that point, so feel free to use your baseball bat, as long you don't kill people with it :D .
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

cjxxi wrote:
kc0tma wrote:
You're still not getting the point though. It is suppose to be obvious. People bash people's heads in with baseball bats but we don't ban those.


So, are you saying we should ban baseball bats too?, now that is kind of ridiculously. Just about anything can be used as a weapon, doesn't mean everything has to be banned.


I'm making my point then ending it because I'm getting the feeling you are looking for an argument. Like you have said, just because something can be used as a weapon doesn't mean it should be banned. We basically are saying the same thing. A baseball bat is a perfectly legal thing and most people wouldn't ever consider banning it if someone used it as a weapon to rob a convenience store, and I see no distinction between one thing and the other. A weapon is a weapon if you use it as a weapon. Now we're done.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Posts: 565
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

No argument, I am just trying to clarify what you are saying. But unless you don't want any anyone to provide clarification, and just stick with "your guns", then what you are saying makes perfect sense.

No, there is no really yes or no answer to the question obviously, but a middle ground where people who like hunting keep doing their thing, as long doesn't affect others, is very reasonable. But if you can't accept that, and no matter what you want your guns at the cost of others, that is another story, not to be discussed, since you can't possibly accept the reality.

At least where I live, no body uses guns that I know of, except police and very few others, and we have no problems. I am sure if you live in rural area, you love your guns, which is fine. But when it comes down to it, where the wrong people get access to the wrong weapons, is not good news for some, while other are unaffected. I would rather listen to all the inputs, and see where a middle ground could be found, that doesn't get innocent people killed.

So the question, shouldn't be "are guns, good or bad", it should be, "why are guns good at some place, while bad in other places", that way you could make your case, that you love hunting, and that you love guns. While others can tell the case how their family members or friend got killed by someone's gun. 2 different realities, can only get to a middle ground, not to one flat literal answer to it. Also there is hardship in one side of the argument, while the other side is for simply joy.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8399
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only place I hear of gun abuse is coming from poor families in 'hoods and slums. Now if they can't afford food, how do they afford guns? I'm not being racist here or anything like that, just saying that most of the crime I hear in my place is coming from those kinds of places or people who live/have lived in those kinds of places.

cjxxi wrote:
So the question, shouldn't be "are guns, good or bad", it should be, "why are guns good at some place, while bad in other places", that way you could make your case, that you love hunting, and that you love guns. While others can tell the case how their family members or friend got killed by someone's gun. 2 different realities, can only get to a middle ground, not to one flat literal answer to it. Also there is hardship one one side of the argument, while the other site is for simply joy.

That is a valid point, guns could be good in some places and bad in others, I think I might have said that in my first post (or something related to it). No matter how many laws we have governing the use and possession of guns, bad people will always find a way to get a gun and use it unlawfully.

One way to fight that is to completely remove all access to guns, stop manufacturing them which would mean no wars (at least with guns), and this will stop the use of guns, BUT you know how that would be.

I'm sure even removing the first amendment about guns would only leave good people defenseless while, the bad people more threatening.
Rabid Dog wrote:
So if you ask me to take my chances against 9mm bullet or a 12cm blade, I am gonna go for the bullet thank you very much and don't argue about range because if you are standing 50m out and someone takes a shot at you, you need to ask why you were there. Most self defense shootings happen with in 7m, the effective range of the knife.

A knife you can run away from, a bullet, you can't. By "dodging" I didn't mean you standing in one spot and dodge the knife... I meant getting away from harm's way. The speed of the knife coming at you while you are running away from it depends on how fast the attacker can run... the speed of the bullet coming at you is way faster then the knife coming at you.

That is why we aren't fighting with swords anymore... we "upgraded" to guns... don't you think?
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Posts: 565
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
The only place I hear of gun abuse is coming from poor families in 'hoods and slums.

It doesn't matter whether they are poor or rich, they are still people, and their vote and lives still counts. That is true in America.

Bogey wrote:
No matter how many laws we have governing the use and possession of guns, bad people will always find a way to get a gun and use it unlawfully.

That is true, yet making it easier, even more bad people will find more ways to use them.

Bogey wrote:
One way to fight that is to completely remove all access to guns, stop manufacturing them which would mean no wars (at least with guns), and this will stop the use of guns, BUT you know how that would be.

That is too drastical.

Bogey wrote:
I'm sure even removing the first amendment about guns would only leave good people defenseless while, the bad people more threatening.

I have to correct you on this, it should be 2nd amendment. And it can't be removed, at least not in the next few decades to come, if it does change, it is going to take a lot


Bogey wrote:
That is why we aren't fighting with swords anymore... we "upgraded" to guns... don't you think?

Swords would be interesting at this point in time :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8399
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

cjxxi wrote:
Bogey wrote:
The only place I hear of gun abuse is coming from poor families in 'hoods and slums.

It doesn't matter whether they are poor or rich, they are still people, and their vote and lives still counts. That is true in America.

I understand that and that is not my argument... please read closer. I said the places I hear about murder coming from guns (crime) comes from those places in the most case in America... I didn't say poop on the poor, I only care about the rich... I said most of the murders I hear about comes from those places.

Their votes and lives still count, yes, I agree and not fighting against that, and I never said they don't count. Please stay on topic.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 66 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 63 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.