Gustav headed to New Orleans?

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
winds right now about 115. That's really not that bad of a hurricane.

115 mph is still PDQ. Even just going 90 or 95 on a motorcycle is enough wind to knock you off if you weren't holding on tight.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw it on the news last night, it still looked pretty scary to have stayed behind though ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once I get past the feeling of "this can't be ?!" after hearing it was a category 2 when it made landfall, I'm glad that's all it was. :)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

scary stuff.......... good to hear it didn't end up being as bad as it could have been....

it's a tough call really - a lot of people live in places that are disaster-prone... volcanoes like Etna and Vesuvius, earthquake fault lines.... hell, half of japan shouldn't be living where it's living... lots of the US too...

I suppose if the disasters were few and far between, and in the meantime the land is fertile and the place looks habitable, the temptation to build and inhabit is understandably great. we humans aren't much in terms of long-term planning. and heck, volcanic ash makes for extremely fertile soil.... :)

so I suppose I'm sort of answering kc0tma's point from waaay back in the thread - it's kind of inevitable that people will live in dangerous areas.... though I do agree they should be sufficiently aware of the land they live on to recognise inherent risks and scuttle like ants if trouble starts to brew...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 34 posts