Happy Anniversary Apollo 11 Moon Landing!

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Today marks the 40th anniversary of Man's first landing on the moon.

Official Anniversary Page
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yikes 40 years!

What was I doing then..not a clue :mrgreen:

I know I was very young then. Probably just started school. I also remember the excitement when man walked on the moon. Was it Uri Garin from memory..probably not lol
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
What is most striking about this 40th anniversary of the first human landing on the moon is that we can no longer do what we're celebrating. Not "do not choose to," but "can't."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02019.html
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if the guy that wrote that editorial even understands the purpose of the space station?

Quote:
The mission of the International Space Station is to enable long-term exploration of space and provide benefits to people on Earth.

Quote:
The Space Station will also serve as the gateway to new frontiers in human space exploration, a place where we can learn how to live and work "off planet." It will allow for the study of long-term effects of weightlessness on the human body and as a test bed to understand what adjustments need to be made to current methods before astronauts are sent to Mars and beyond. In addition, it will allow for critical research in fluids, combustion, life support systems and the radiation environment, which is needed for future human space exploration.

http://www.pbs.org/spacestation/station/purpose.htm

I'm sorry, but from the next to the last paragraph in Mr. Griffin's rant, I feel like I'm listening to the propaganda that was going on the first time around

Quote:
ad_icon

If we no longer understand the importance of defining, occupying and extending the human frontier, we can be assured that others do. Russia is building a new lunar-capable manned spacecraft, China continues to pursue a methodical, carefully crafted human spaceflight program, and India is planning to join the club in 2015. We should wish them well. But we must be there too. No one can wrest leadership in space from the United States. But we can certainly cede it, and that is the path we are on.

I just don't see in any way shape or form that we've given up on space exploration like he is ranting about. Just because we aren't in an hurry to get back to the moon doesn't mean we're never going there again. Besides, it's fairly obvious that the next step on the agenda has been Mars anyway. We've already been to the moon.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't there something with the silica on the moon that they are saying could potentially revolutionize how we produce energy or something?

I think the moon seems like a good practice arena for going on to mars. It only takes a couple of days to get to the moon and back, so if they go and do tests of everything there and find that something doesn't work, then they won't have wasted 6 months plus of commuting to mars and back.

Wouldn't that be cool if they made a whole bunch of space stations between here and mars, then the astronauts could use them almost like rest stops during their travel to mars. That would mean we could possibly build smaller rockets, and at each of these space station "quick stop gas stations" they could refuel. From what I understand, that is a big problem is the amount of fuel and other consumables that they carry, like food and water and stuff (but they are capable of turning pee into water now!) They would need to carry so much stuff with them for a mars mission that they would need a big ass rocket, and the bigger the rocket the more fuel they need. So maybe they could carry a smaller amount of food and water and fuel, then along the way they could restock at strategically placed supply stations.

//I'm a little bit of a space nerd if you didn't notice
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone on the radio last night asked,

'What proof have we he actually walked on the moon'?

Pinhead!
:mrgreen:
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie wrote:
Someone on the radio last night asked,

'What proof have we he actually walked on the moon'?

Pinhead!
:mrgreen:

Although I personally don't know for a fact one way or the other if the US has had a man on the moon, I don't think that asking a legitimate question qualifies someone as a pinhead. If it does, a lot of pinheads visit this forum.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was this senile old fart on Colbert Report last night that said that human space travel is pointless. His only reason was because when humans go into space they are stuck inside a space suit and the only sense they have is sight, they can't hear or smell or taste anything so it is all a waste according to him. Human nature is to explore, and we've already covered the entire globe, its time to expand a little.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
There was this senile old fart

Hahahahah...is that any better than 'pinhead'?

Don't you think its a good word..pinhead..

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We sent peeps to the moon originally I believe to see if the air was good enough to live. If there were any resources like water etc. We had to explore because we are fast running out of space down here and we will soon also run out of resources.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard some say it may be fake. Used to put the US ahead to sedate fears that the soviets are going to dominate.

Two reasons:
1. The film is gone. No one can study it.
2. With all the problems NASA has on launches, and no one has gone back since it doesn't seem plausible that such a difficult 4 part mission (takeoff, landing (ON MOON), takeoff from Moon, and landing on US) was done back in the 60s.

I have yet to see a high def photograph of the moon with our flag on it from hubble or an observatory myself..

/shrug I don't care either way.
http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/cosmicapollo.html for reference.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
I have yet to see a high def photograph of the moon with our flag on it from hubble or an observatory myself..

And I have yet to see a hi def photo of a penny on the ground out on the sidewalk.

I wish I had the link, but just a few weeks ago Japan's JAXA program's moon orbiter thing took some pictures of left behind equipment on the moon, I'm pretty sure we have been there.

The reason we haven't been back since is because of politics. Back then we knew the soviets had nukes and so we built our own, then somewhere along the way someone got the bright idea of riding on one of their rockets. That was that start of the space race. It was a way of keeping from blowing each other up, a more civilized kind of war. Nowadays, instead of doing something more peaceful and meaningful, our politicians and bureaucrats just want to blow the *plum* out of people with smart bombs and UAVs. Back then we knew that if anyone decided to use their weapons it would be the end so this was a different way of settling it, but these days nobody is interested in resolving their conflicts harmlessly. Instead they are more interested in global domination.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hubble simply doesn't have the resolving power to see such fine detail on the moon. While moon-gazing, Hubble has a resolution of around 70 m - maeaning that an object the size of the Superdome would appear as a small fuzzy blob with almost no detail and that a flag would never, ever be able to be seen.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts