Happy Punctuation Day!

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

In support of Ozzu's anti-chatspeak nature, I would like to wish all of you a happy Punctuation Day! They say it's National, but come on. It's not OUR language so to speak, so I wish it to everyone. :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In an effort to celebrate "National Punctuation Day!" (albeit I've never heard of it before now [is this considered a national holiday?]), here's a genuine effort to punctuate, so-to-speak, an entire single sentence correctly utilizing all of the listed characters -- to wit: apostrophe, brackets, colon, comma, dash, ellipses, exclamation point, hyphen, parenthesis, period, question mark, quotation mark, and semicolon, etc...(I'm sure there are more, like {} for example); and having said all that, I believe I've accomplished my objective, don't you agree? //(<--- ending a sentence like that is an old sales tactic I learned in retail -- grammatically incorrect, but sure closed a lot of deals)

Any English teachers are welcome to grade me on my effort.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shouldn't have made the challenge - my wife spotted something (she worked as a proofer for a while) :D

Quote:
not too bad..the only thing that jumps out at me is "I'm sure there's more" should be "I'm sure there are more"
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Noted and corrected (I knew better), although I was more interested in the proper use of punctuation.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha, good point. You're off the hook on technicality. :) Now if only we could hook these guys up with someone with some design sense, they might have something. That page is awful.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Now if only we could hook these guys up with someone with some design sense, they might have something. That page is awful.

At least it is fixed width :roll:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Now if only we could hook these guys up with someone with some design sense, they might have something. That page is awful.

Think he might be doing it himself. Best guess is this one might have been done at least partially in Frontpage. Looks like his style though. His main page (which was obviously done in Dreamweaver) doesn't look all that much better.
http://www.thenewsletterguy.com/
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
//(<--- ending a sentence like that is an old sales tactic I learned in retail -- grammatically incorrect, but sure closed a lot of deals)

pardon my gross and evident ignorance, but how does that close retail deals? I'm most curious!!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The trick is you get them to say yes (or agree with you) as many times as you can during the sales pitch. Questions like "Wouldn't you agree?", "That sounds good doesn't it?", etc., almost inevitably forces them to say yes. The more little "yeses" you get along the way, the easier it is to get the big one when you try to close the sale.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts