Hashify.me

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is kind of interesting, none of the data is really stored anywhere unless you use a URL shortener.

Quote:
Hashify

Hashify does not solve a problem, it poses a question: what becomes possible when one is able to store entire documents in URLs?

Document ↔ URL
Hashify is different from virtually every other site on the Web in that every URL contains the complete contents of the page.

The address bar updates with each keystroke as one types into the editor.

Base64 encoding
Only a tiny fraction of all Unicode characters are allowed unescaped in a URL. Hashify uses Base64 encoding to convert Unicode input to ASCII output safe for inclusion in URLs.

This translation is a two-step process: Unicode to UTF-8 conversion as outlined by Johan Sundström, followed by binary to ASCII conversion via window.btoa.

Hashify.me Doc

http://hashify.me
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is an interesting concept, not sure if it has much practical use though. Wherever the links are placed, in essence all of the data is being stored on the website that places the link, or the URL shortener service if you use that. Basically everyone but the hashify.me website stores the content.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya, I don't see any practical use yet. I'm sure someone will find something interesting to do with it though.

To me its an interesting spin off of pastebin. The best example I can come up with is twitter and wanting to to write a blog post. You don't need to sign up for anything (much like pastebin), and you just post the url.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kind of seems like an overgrown rich text format. I have a feeling the only people who are going to get any use out of this, are affiliate marketers. :)
  • chromax
  • Born
  • Born
  • chromax

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see a chance for illegal content. It would be possible to spread a website with illegal links only through Email.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts