I have a 4x/8x agp card.... how do i use 8x mode

• l49ers007l
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • l49ers007l

Post 3+ Months Ago

I own a Geforce fx 5200 4x/8x...... i bought i and it worked fine for a month or two..... i recently reformat my computer and now it is in 4x mode, how do i put it back in 8x??? thx in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you try the manual? or if you don't own the manual anymore the geforce website, or if you can't find that google?
  • l49ers007l
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • l49ers007l

Post 3+ Months Ago

no manual came wit it... couldn't find s*** on google or their site... thats y i resulted to this forum
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try reinstalling your drivers. The disc should have come with the card. I'm guessing Windows installed the generic drivers when you reinstalled and you probably won't be able to change it until the correct drivers are installed.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

As an aside, please control the language you use when posting. There are many here under 17. Thanks.
  • l49ers007l
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • l49ers007l

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry.... i was p.o'd.... and i am 15
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol I thought as much. Did you try the drivers?
  • l49ers007l
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • l49ers007l

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok... before i reformat... i took out the agp card... after i reformat'd i put it back in, installed it the correct way, got all windows updates, the card was in pci mode for some reason so i got a motherboard update for my VIA chipset, and got my driver updates for the card, that brought me out of pci mode and into 4x, instead of 8x, that is where i am at and i need to get into 8x mode, thx in advance for any more replies
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a bugger. And what I would have done. Out of ideas...sorry.
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe a really stupid question but did it run in 8x mode prior to your reinstall?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also have the fx 5200, atm no game of program (that i know of) uses more bandwidth than 4x, 8x is a simple upgrade for the future, but i do know how to change it.

Download RivaTuner. It gives you the option to pick which Slot to use(agp 4x/8x depending on what available.), if ur struggling on how to find the option, just ask and i will guide u thru it.

I didn't have the problem but I only got a 1x/2x agp....sad i know. but it was only running in 1x, i used rivatuner and now it is running at 2x, not a big performance boost but it was ok.

sorry i dont have a download link to it. Google should work

hope it helps
kalbal
  • l49ers007l
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • l49ers007l

Post 3+ Months Ago

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!! I got tyhe program and it said that my chipset supports 2x/4x and it's currently in 4x mode... WTF before reformat it was 8x
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well then -- prior to reformat had you installed any updates to the chipset? If so, did you redo them after reformat?
  • l49ers007l
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • l49ers007l

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats what has been goin threw my mind.... i tryin everything i find man and gettin very angry lol... just called emachine tech support and all they could say was... "yes your computer does support 8x"
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ouch! Did I just hear you say emachine? Sorry...I'm trying very hard not to post an *lol -- but that probably explains it (not really -- don't mind me ---I used to sell those and know the limitations more-or-less)

On a realistic note, if you had it at 8x before you should be able to have it there again. I do understand that's what's frustraating you. I offered the best thought I could but can't think of anything else at the moment. Sorry.
  • l49ers007l
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • l49ers007l

Post 3+ Months Ago

wth is wrong wit emachines... my friend said they terrible to..... and before i reformat it my computer cost less but was better then his
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't fret it - it's just an old salesman's comment. They were low end- so they didn't pay us much. You are correct they do perform pretty well for the price.

In case you missed it I'm known as the "old fart" around here.
  • l49ers007l
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • l49ers007l

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahahaahaha aight..... how i post a picture i have saved in my pictures folder? i dont see anything to click to do it[/img]
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try restating that l49ers007l -- sorry but I barely understood a word of your last post.
  • l49ers007l
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • l49ers007l

Post 3+ Months Ago

how do i post a picture...... i have a picture saved in a folder called 'my pictures' i know how to get there but what do i click so i can post a picture of something
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to upload it to an online host. Then if they allow hotlink you can use the img BBcode, otherwise post the link
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never mind. I see from the post below you were asking about the avatar. Follow musik's instructions in the other post.
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

What make and model is the motherboard?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, if it doesn't recognise it now then i am guessing that it wont now. are u certain it ran in 8x mode before?

well, try updating ur motherboard bios, some motherboards allow for the agp bus drivers to be upgraded as well

another thing you could do is have a look in the bios, check under chipset features, u might be able to change summot in there

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts