do i have the right to be pissed?

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, there are four admins for the site im building... id like to think were all friends...

well, there is this one admin... he has not done any work on the site for over 2 weeks and has come up with various excuces and such... i know for a FACT that he has not done any work ont he site for at least 2 weeks, because the FTP passwords were changed 2 weeks ago, and he was not informed of it... now today, he finds out that myself, and one of the other admins have done a ton of work to the site, and made several modifications, including adding a flash into to the index, which we feel have made the site infinitely better... so hes sees these changes and decides he doesnt like them... and tries to log into the FTP to delete them, and restore them to their old miserable glory... well, he cant :twisted:... that was yesterday, so today he comes in and, in polite terms, demands the new passwords, saying that we have no right to change anything without his permission, and yada yada yada, even though he is not paying a single dime for the hosting or domain name or anything for that matter... so we finally get fed up with his bitching and give him the FTP passwords hoping it would just shut him up... so, hence forth, he procedes to log into the FTP a few hours later, and DELETES the new index page, ans the flash move that i had spent 2 hours working on the a few days before! now, we (myself and the other admin) may have changed the site, but there have ALWAYS been backups of EVERYTHING we have changed, he just decides he doesnt like something, and deletes it...

now according to him, he is completely within his right, and we (the other admin and i) are the ones who are entirely at fault... do i have the right to get severly pissed off at him?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• BinaryTox1n
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • BinaryTox1n
  • Loc: Deer Park, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, change the password again, and then smack him one good, right upside the head. :D
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

and keep backups on you computers.....

there should be an exact replica sitting on you home pc. But yes go slap him
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is, but thats not the point, the point is he DELETED it, and then gets pissed at us for backing his crap up, and MODIFYING it so it works BETTER!!!

ya, he got pissed off too because we went and edited the visted link color in one of his style sheets, even though the visited link color was the same color as the background color... hrmmm... right....
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats ok then :D. Yes you do have the right to be pissed and I do think you should slap him. Remove all of his access to the site.

If he claims he has copyright to certain bits or anything like that, then take down the stuff he made exclusively, but hold your ground on anything that was a joint effort - he's not gonna press charges or anything.

Just cut him out of the group (I understand there are a few of you you running anime no baka, right?), it sounds like you don't need him anyway, and with an attitude like that he deserves to be kicked out.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes.. he must pay.. :| give him ftp access, but only to a small little folder in the middle of no where, where he cant do anything ... mauahaha >: ).

lol..

(ignore me :roll:)

his quite annoying, and needs to be screamed at/confronted...
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

<FONT SIZE="4"> FIRE HIM!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well perhaps you should inform him that the group may begin taking action to remove his status, and his work from the site if they do not co-operate.

If they still press on, you know what you must do

//btw, I would like to see that flash movie
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would post a information marquee saying his name on the index for a temp amount of time saying that “he has not participated in the creation of this web page and is going to be cut off in the creation process”.

That way when he givs people a link saying he created this page the people see the news.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah uhh, if there are 4 admins for your site, you should have either concencious or majority ruling.

if he fails to form to the concencious, majority him out :D
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kick him out completely, IP address an all! Then delete all his files before he can save them! hehehehehe
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Psh. Get rid of him. He has no right to bitch about it if he hasn't done nearly as much as you guys contributing to the site. He wants control? Make him pay up. A lot.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

give him this joke.

what do the five fingers say to the face.

Slap! ur fired bitch
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definatly ditch his ass. Take a vote and vote him off the island and if he has a prob with it and claims that soem stuff is his, remove his stuff (since you others can doa better job on it anyway) and now nothing on that site is done by him so any other modifications he makes to that site is illegal and now its time for legal action :twisted: :twisted: . SUE THE BASTARD!!!

P.S Let me know if you need a good lawyer I give you the number to my personal attorney :P LOL
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

rofl, ill keep that in mind thanx... :)

thanx all, i feel better now... weve been tlaking about asking him to 'polietly step down' im not really sure whats going to happen yet... i frankly dont care as long as he agrees to stop taking a hatchet to my code whenever he sees something he does not like... (yeah, he umm... disabled? the javascript and the flash movie on the main page... he didnt remove it... he jest removed enough of the javascript so that it would not function anymore - but would not come up with errors, and removed the embed stuff for the movie, but left the tr/td/div it was in there - with absolutely nothing in it...) grrrr.... :brutal43:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who is paying for the hosting?....domain name?...

if he has merly comtributed some code, pics, whatever.... with no copyright...
stuff him
slap ur own copyright on it.

it might not be right, but the way he is acting, uncivilised, then he deservers what he gets.
he paid nothing for the domain name, or hosting...
so all his stuff is on whoever paid for the webhost.
delete it, anything he made, he has a problem with that?...
who paid for what eh!?

well, thats just what I would do...
Or (b-t-s-o-o-h)
cus i just get p**** easily :P

pay no attention to me...
i go off on one sometimes lol
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Nucleo. If he's not contributing money, and his technical contribution isn't worth it, it's a waste of your time dealing with him. If he's your friend, just explain it to him. If he's REALLY a friend, he should understand, as long as you're not confrontational about it.

The bottom line is, change the FTP passwords again, and don't give in this time. Call whoever is doing your hosting, and make sure they won't provide assistance to him (in case he tries to call them directly.. of course, if he wants his own account.. that's his business).

It's not worth the effort dealing with that sort of garbage.

.c
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
<FONT SIZE="4"> FIRE HIM!

That what I would say... also as a Team should always work together and respect others work.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

you know we gave him a second chance... he said that he was going to work on the site this weekend... hrm... 2319 sunday evening... not one single file has been changed on the site since wednessday when i went and reconstructed the mainpage... hrm... this sucks... hes not doing any work, but hes my friend... damn i dont know what to do...
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

make backups, lots of backups

but seriously, even if he is a freind you have to look out for the site. Remember the site is for your public. Not so much for you all, but your fans.
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you really need to get rid of him
  • Subspace000
  • Subspace000

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, its 21:22 Monday the 31st.... no updates from him... the other admin (who has not been working) posted bio's to are way to extensive for me o.O.... but thats me....

I am the one paying the Domain Name chargre, the hosting is provided free by a friend of mine who was kind enough to offer us space so damn long ago (2 years i think it is now), and he's also saying "kick him". Anyway..... now we just need a way to ask a VERY large person to step down ..... (he's body-checked people and sent them accross rooms and into the air) o.o
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

friends don't do that to each other, regardless of the situation
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

if he is a friend then he should understand...
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

some friends don't understand
sometimes it's hard doing business with friends. You shouldn't start until you know for sure your friend is responsible.
But in this case, kick him before it gets worse.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Going into business with friends is alot like becoming roomates with someone you're already friends with. I've learned both lessions the hard way already. When it comes to business, you don't want to go into business with a complete stranger, but you're usually better off not getting into it with someone you know well, or at least someone you tend to spend time with away from doing business (aka, a friend...).

It's an important rule to have, but it's hard to understand why until you have a problem. Some people are lucky, and no serious problems come up, but then there's the other 95% of people =]

.c
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there,

Everyone seems to be putting in their two cents worth... So I figured I had better go and throw in mine too :)

Not that I have anything particularly new to add but ...

Allow him to keep his rights, (that way he does not feel cheated / betrayed. As he is your friend, (and while he would be jumping to a pretty large conclusion) he may conclude you are attacking him personally and his friendship that he has to you.

I completely understand the time and effort that "others" have contributed to your site, but it is just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

If you really consider him to be your friend, and your friendship with him is important, then you should put that first. When he sees that he is your priority (above the website that is , perhaps not above anything else) then I I think you will see a change in heart by him. (ie he will contribute more steadily, or cease complaining about the contributions of others.)

Its easy enough to reload some code, a lot harder to reclaim a friend.

A few side notes if I may....

I am not saying you're wrong for being annoyed at him, I am not saying you're wrong for changing the passwords. But I am not your friend. I don't already feel that I have some sort of ownership at your site and I don't feel that my existing friendship with you should be sufficient to see me through any crappy decisions I may or may not make.

But he might just be.

Explain to him that he is an important friend to you, and important to the site. His effort into the site does not go unnoticed and is always welcomed and appreciated. (I understand he may currently be doing nothing).
Straight away, you have him in a receptive mood, he may not like anything you say after that, but at least you hold a better chance of him actually listening to you... then, you need to give him your ideas and ask him to think about it for a while and get back to you...
Don't nag him, don't say the same thing multiple times (even if it is in a different way. Guys hate Nagging... you start repeating yourself, he'll stop listening... - I guarantee it.

The points you want to bring up with him are;
If he wishes to be remain an admin of the site, he is required to do some administration. (don't tell him how slack he has been. Just leave it as a comment.)

Tell him his work is appreciated and respected by the other admins, and visitors to the site, and likewise, you (the other admins) expect, and even demand, that respect for your work, back from him. )again, leave it there... don't give him examples.... he already knows that he has strayed from this path, since he is listening to you tell him about it!)

Let him know, that an admin of the site is a responsibility but is also supposed to be a fun outlet. add something like : "I don't want you to take this wrong way, we're not trying to get rid of you, but - If you're no longer enjoying your role as an administrator and / or no longer want he responsibility of looking after the site, then perhaps you would prefer to be just a member. Your friendship is more important to me, than having to argue over a web site all the time with you."

I am sure you get the picture... keep it positive, keep it direct, men just don't get "beat around the bush" speak. Ultimately, leave him in no doubt that the decision is 'his' to make and that he needs to make it.

Hopefully, you will get the results from him (admin wise) and keep your friendship too.

Subsequently, if after this chat he is still not pulling his weight, still not being respectful to your work etc, then you should change the password again and not tell him what it is.
Tell him your friendship is more important than fighting over a web site, and so you have take the website away, so that you may continue your friendship...

He may well get pissed off, but he will realise, he has it done it to himself, as you made him responsible for it originally (the decision)...

Anyway, I hope this helps.... if not... it was only my two cents worth...
Wait until I roll out the five cents worth!!!!

Best of luck......

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts