Heart's Genius Avatars

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, just as something to do on the side as we await the new genius, I'll put up one of my own.

Name the Genius.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Emmy Amalie Noether

Photos: http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/PictDisplay/Noether_Emmy.html

She was a mathematician in the first half of the 20th century, receiving her Ph.D. from the University of Erlangen in 1907. Her work in group theory, ring theory, group representations and number theory was fundamental to further mathematical principles and would prove useful to physicists and crystallographers.

In the judgement of the most competent living mathematicians, Fraulein Noether was the most significant creative mathematical genius thus far produced since the higher education of women began. In the realm of algebra in which the most gifted mathematicians have been busy for centuries she discovered methods which have proved of enormous importance in the development of present day younger generation of mathematicians.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Correctomundo! I first heard of her several years ago when reading about the relationships between conserved quantities and symmetries in physical laws. Commonly referred to as "Noether's Theorem".

Quote:
Emmy Noether's first piece of work when she arrived in Göttingen in 1915 is a result in theoretical physics sometimes referred to as Noether's Theorem, which proves a relationship between symmetries in physics and conservation principles. This basic result in the general theory of relativity was praised by Einstein in a letter to Hilbert when he referred to Noether's

penetrating mathematical thinking.

It was her work in the theory of invariants which led to formulations for several concepts of Einstein's general theory of relativity.

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~histor ... _Emmy.html

That was a pretty tough one Larz- at least I thought so. Good Job!
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe thanks Jim :wink:
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

For some reason I keep coming to this thread and expecting a picture of Ann Wilson to show up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 125 posts