HELP - I got Let Go (Fired) - Need Advice

• kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got let go at 2 PM due to the fact of a management decision and the fact the last guy that was the webmaster screwed up the system so bad I never got a chance to learn the system in place. I do not know what to do ... I am still in shock about the whole thing ... :shock:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You got let go as in you were fired, or they put you on a much appreciated long weekend?

If you get a long weekend, then awesome! But if you got fired, bummer.... I half understand about the screwed up system thing. The guy here before me was a .net junkie, but not very good at it, so whenever stuff gets screwed up we have to call him and he charges our office $100 an hour for something he technically should be doing for no more than he was getting paid when he quit. But I guess the guy has to make a living.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fired, 2 weeks paid severence, and less than great job market in the area, and JUST got a NEW apt .. I get checks up till week ending 3/7/08

I am fighting the urge to get completely trashed ... but I can't think straight.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't let it get you down. Getting fired sucks, but there are tons of jobs out there, and this is your chance to find an even better one than the one you had........ just take it easy for the weekend, do something you really enjoy, meet with some friends.... and on monday start a systematic job search. it'll be ok. you'll see.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i serously don't think you can still enjoy over the weekends. i think i were you, i would start prospecting new jobs now, and write down my plans of what i'm to do ...

i've never gotten fired before, i kinda left my previous part-time job in a slow manner, it's a consultancy services we provide. I'd suggest that you look for smaller companies that have great opportunites to grow, join em, start from ,not too low salary, but it's ok if you knew that company can grow. See , the manager needed me more than I needed him. this put you in a stronger position. You can always turn things around if you plan ahead. Dun search for haughty bosses, . They must respect you at the first place...
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tried that George ... but the last guy *peach* up the system so I could not learn the server side of anything and they hired the system guy back .... I am gunna start looking tomorrow.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to hear about this. Try not to let it get to you too much, there will be plenty of people out there looking for someone with your knowledge base, you've just got to take this experience and use it to inspire you to further yourself.

You'll probably look back on this in a few months time and think this was the best thing that could have happened to you.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

True dat. Last time (only time in fact) that I got fired, I was in such shock - the man had treated me so unfairly, even refused to pay my last salary (got it off him in the end - coolest showdown I ever had!) and generally left me shaking with rage. but it turns out that if I hadn't got fired that very day, I'd have missed the opportunity I got a few weeks after that - for a job I'm still at, and a salary four times higher than what I was making with the bozo.

things work out. don't worry about it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's no such thing as "the last guy...".

Ultimately it was your own inability to adapt to the system you were given to work with that lead to your being let go.
You can fool yourself into believing otherwise as long as you want, but that's the way it is. :)
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was not ALLOWED to touch the system anything. I was not even permitted to forward email ... I asked and asked and asked to learn / do but always got no's ...

The last webmaster messed up the server, email and compromised the computer I was on ... so they didn't want me to do anything but make webpages... I wanted to learn and got the short end of the stick.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like I said, inability to adapt to the system you were given to work with.
The faster you're able to realize what that means, the faster you can learn to prevent it from happening again. :)
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Like I said, inability to adapt to the system you were given to work with. :)

Sure, I guess. Even if/what I knew how to do, I was not even allowed to do it. I did all they asked and more and tried to take on more respondsibility and they would not let me. So I suppose to you that is not being able to adapt.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

At this point it's pretty moot to dwell on what could or should have been. Things like this happen. It's just how life works. You have to take what you have and make the best of it.

I'm with Celandine on this one. For whatever reason, you should look at this as an opportunity to do something different, land a better job, etc.

I know it seems like a terrible situation, but take a moment, step back, assess the situation like over a weekend; and when the week comes approach it all with a new perspective and vigor.

It'll work out in the end.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Merlyn and Celandine ... I have a pile of 6 openings in front of me and going through them. Going to hand deliver the closer of the ones and hope for the best.

I guess the three weeks off will be nice, but uneasy as I JUST signed a new lease and was about to move in two week.

I am sure it'll work out just not what I want to be doing (resume, applications, cover letters, etc ...)

Atleast they will need to foot my unemployment bill if it comes to it so in reality they won't be saving all the money they wanted by their management decision :mrgreen:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

So in other words you don't actually want advice, you want someone to play mommy and tell you everything's going to be ok, right ?

You have responded unfavorably to anything in this thread that even hints at the fact that you were at all at fault. That's not looking for advice, that's looking for comfort.

You should probably go out and "get trashed" as you suggested, that sounds like the best option for you given your attitude.

Sorry I couldn't give you the advice you wanted. :)
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was hoping for encouraging words, yes, but also was hoping that people might have had some suggestions as to reputable places to put my resume up or anything that could point me in the direction of a maybe and attempt to help me ... back to the applications / resumes / searching ...

I did want to get trashed but I hit the net and have a stack of a good 10 possibilities in front of me instead ... I have found people in the field can provide advice that one may not think of. If you just want to criticize ... fair enough.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
So in other words you don't actually want advice, you want someone to play mommy and tell you everything's going to be ok, right ?

Thats abit harsh, what happened to being supportive? It doesn't mean you have to Mummy someone, just means kind words do not cost anything, and sometimes are the best in a crappy situation. Have your opinion, but making someone feel like *plum*, isn't real nice.

I on the otherhand, wish you luck with your job search, and perhaps the company you were working for, was not the right fit for you, if you know what I mean?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Being supportive is what parents are for, I'm just here to tell you what you did wrong. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

Quote:
I did want to get trashed but I hit the net and have a stack of a good 10 possibilities in front of me instead

Sounds great !
Be sure not to leave us all hanging.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got fired from mcdonalds when me and a coworker were playing around, I threw one of those cheapo knives they had, thing wont cut tomatoes let alone people and got him, and management was upset.

Alas it was only mcdonalds.

But it happens for good reasons, want to know why?

Because now you can go bomb the office, blow up the other people, instead of the last guy blowing you up when you were still working there.

Just move on, when someone gives your eulogy I doubt this will be included.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha, well I have 4 applications in thus far and should hear back this week on them, and talked to a temp agency today and going to unemployment and application gathering.

I am looking forward on the matter and it should all work out.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interview tomorrow for a webmaster or database person ... SWEET!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kbergmann wrote:

Right on! Go crunch it!
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
kbergmann wrote:

Right on! Go crunch it!

Doing so in between applying for other things ... the pain in the but online applications only. Not puttiong my eggs all in one basket.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interview went well ... if I get that Job I will be using CS3 :afro: :thumbsup:

Have another interview Monday so things might be looking up or I will pretend they are.

And my severance might get extended ... if need be so that is a bit of a relief :dollar:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, that'll be the positive from the outcome that this time last week you were failing to see.

Well done on the job interview, I hope it works out for you.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
So, that'll be the positive from the outcome that this time last week you were failing to see.

Well done on the job interview, I hope it works out for you.

Thanks. I have been job hunting before in this area and I may have failed to see the light I see today but I was rather out of my mind and I am more settled now ...

Time to relax and turn on the TV ...
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing yet ... just lots of resumes going out, calls, and cover letters, and 2 interviews ...

I'll keep everyone posted though as I am in the business of being a professional bum ATM.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a pattern to the types of positions or the types of places you're applying with ?
Have you been evolving your interview, or do you stick with a single routine ?

Have you tried houding anyone yet ? Sometimes persistance pays off. I've gotten work based on the fact that I was the first one to call them every morning to see if there was any work in the past.
  • egranville
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a employer I'd say listen to the (somewhat rude sounding) advice of Joe.

What he's trying to say is: Find out why they didn't let you.

But this doesn't mean that you're wrong, you might find out that you should have been tougher and left them some time ago. The thing is, the situation didn't work out the way you wanted it and you have to find out why.

It's not good enough to say, it's over .... next! The same character traits will attract the same situations and act the same way upon them.

Joe says:
Quote:
Have you tried houding anyone yet ? Sometimes persistance pays off. I've gotten work based on the fact that I was the first one to call them every morning to see if there was any work in the past.

Again, it's not the act they were interested in (Joe annoying them daily) but assuming that he must be sure of his (knowledge and confidence in ability to learn) case and determined to get the job (perseverance).

I would give someone you shows these traits a chance any day, there is a shortage in the EU BTW.

If you're confident, get noticed. Tell a potential employer you'll work for half the salary for 1 month. If he likes it and wants to keep you he has to pay you the other half.

No matter how bad the economy, there will always be work for the best ones, that make sure the get noticed.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do evolve my interviews and do ask why when I get declined a job. I tend to wait about 3 days to a week after resume submission so it has time to find the right person and might have been reviewed already.

There is a severe lack of work in my area unless I want to bag groceries for $7.50 an hour ....

Nothing yet but had a phone then on site interview at one place. So we shall see. Sent them a thank you letter and who knows.

Just a tough job market.

It just kills me why employers ask what previous wages were and what you want as they already have an idea. I just want market value, and if my skills match what they want then I'd likely consider the job. I don't know the "proper way to approach this when they ask for previous salary. It is none of their business and they use it to thin out the crowd hoping to not pay the going rate for any position.

I am trying for basically any office job that can lead to advancement and get me to a better place later on. IT field is not out of the realm for what I am looking for, but I am considering leaving the field for something that will get my by and allow me to advance.

Living off of unemployment and my PT job ... and getting food from the community kitchen currently just to get by. Nothing saved at all from it just bills paid and I am not starving ...

Hopefully something opens up ...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 36 posts