Help Me!

• The Apostle of God
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: SDSU, SD, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been a member at a site for a couple of years and recently returned to it (boards). On returning, one of the members began sparring with me... over the next month or so, I would say he developed a deep hatred of me (we have differing views on most issues). He supposedly works in information technology security in the United Kingdom.

He claims that on the 17th of the last month, he was hacked. He says that he used the same password at this board as he did on his home account, and that very important work email was deleted, almost costing him his job. The website has an interesting if technically challenged administration (save for one, possibly two... it is a geopolitical board). They launched an "investigation." A couple of days later, they announced that they had their man and were giving him a chance to "come forward." I told them, publicly, that they should contact their server company, which they claimed was hacked to get the password, and have them take care of it. At this time, I did not know I was the person they thought had done this. I challenged them to do this quickly so we would all feel safer, etc.

Anyways, it was revealed to me in a rather roundabout way that they think I hacked this person. He posted weblogs of an "attack" on his computer that I supposedly initiated. I'm not an expert by any means, as I am only a first semester computer sci student. However, I noted that my ip was not in the logs (My school's ip range always begins with 137.216)... any of the five posted. I was then accused of "spoofing my ip address." I didn't even know this was possible for anyone but the most adept and elite users.

Irregardless, one of my friends at the site is more advanced in his studies than I. He looked at the logs, did some study, and came up with the conclusion that someone on a bt internet dialiup account did the hacking. I asked if there was any way to spoof that, he said no.

I am asking for your help in formulating a technical defense. There are several reasons: I have a great affinity for this site, as I found it in high school and spent a lot of time there playing geo political games. There is also the honor end of it; mine has been tarnished.

I would ask that none of you post at the board on my defense. I would also ask that you cut and past this address, as I don't really want to reveal to them yet, that I am planning a defense for my "trial." It is silly in a way, but it bothers me and I would really like your help.

Here is a link to the thread: LINK

Again, please exercise all discretion possible. In the thread is a link to the logs in question.

Thank you for your time and effort.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Advice: Shut down the computer, get up from your chair, walk towards the door, step outside and go join in something that exists out there called "Life". :roll:
  • The Apostle of God
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: SDSU, SD, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be nice, except for the following fact: If I have to be off the net at school while this person contacts my school and makes me go through an investigation, etc, then it will severely disrupt my schoolwork. I.E. no emailing in assignments, not being able to ftp work between computer lab and home computer, and upwards.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have sent you a PM regarding this.

Cheers,
Rose :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm -- I just read the link - looks pretty lame to me.

If you did nothing don't fret it. Truth will prevail.
  • FroSt
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Holland, Friesland, Sneek

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very lame i guess :?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts