high school social experiment

• Whitey_McWhite
  • Born
  • Born
  • Whitey_McWhite

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello my name is Rafe Knapp, I live in Albany, CA. I belong to a group of high school students. We are creating a experiment to test the affect of living inside the sustem of corporations and television. We will do this by first immersing ourselves in the average American lifestyle. Then were going to spend a number of hours in the woods sepertated from all processed foods and electronics. Our goal is to observe the difference in our thought processes and emotional respnses when we re-enter the system. I made this post in order to get the publics opinion on our little experiment. we will be going out into the woods in the weekend of the 24th of October, at that time we will post our findings, thank you for your contribution.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I moved this to our general board since it really has nothing to do with website hosting. Good luck with your experiment.
  • Digitelle
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: BRKLYN-NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I grew up in North Berkeley, (literally 1 mile from Albany) How are you guys going to go about recording and posting your findings? I assume that since this is an experiment, that you are going about the research in a methodical way. Do you have a control person, (some one who remains immersed in the American culture?) Does each experimenter keep a journal, is there a list of questions that each experimenter must answer each day? What is your hypothesis? Do you have a blog or other message board (besides this one) on which to post your findings? Also how do you intend to reintroduce each experimenter back into society, since that is also a large part of your experiment.

Just a few things to think about before you begin.
  • Whitey_McWhite
  • Born
  • Born
  • Whitey_McWhite

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, we will be posting results on the weekend of the 24th, and i must admit that we didnt get as in depth as you have there. We assume that we will just be able to notice any change because of the fact we've spent most of our lives in the system. And if that doesnt work then we will always have the other kids at the school that are definetly inside the mtv lifestyle. we could interveiw them.
thanks for yuor ideas.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Digitelle wrote:
Do you have a control person, (some one who remains immersed in the American culture?) Does each experimenter keep a journal, is there a list of questions that each experimenter must answer each day? What is your hypothesis?

It is not as if this is something scientific.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

For this, a proper control group would have to be one person who is in the woods the whole time and one person who remains emersed in pop culture the whole time.

However, to remain unbiased, your controls would have to have know understanding of the other way of existing. This is impossible, of course. How do you plan to account for the cognitive existential realization that this is, in the end, only a temporary existence?

What I mean is, when you go to the woods, unless your subject doesn't understand that eventually s/he can return to his/her normal life back at school, the results will be biased.

However... this is a high school experiment, not a doctoral thesis, so I guess all the above is forgivable. I think your idea is very good. Make sure you don't approach this an NSync jam session followed by a few hours of The Apprentice followed by an extended camping trip though.

As was already mentioned, make sure to do a preliminary write-up describing your hypothesis and detailing what, EXACTLY, you are planning to do, and, most importantly, WHY you are going to do those things.

Then, once you've conducted your experiment, you go back through your initial write-up and draw comparisons. Did X thing work out the way you expected it to, and why did it, or why didn't it.

The important questions, always, is Why. It's easy to describe an thing, its more difficult to, but also of paramount importance, to explain why a thing happened based on the observational data.

.c
  • Whitey_McWhite
  • Born
  • Born
  • Whitey_McWhite

Post 3+ Months Ago

WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE THE PURE NIRVANA THAT I FELT!!!
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Except that the notion of Nirvana in the Hindu and Buddist traditions literally means the end of existance... The feeling of pure nothing, the absolute absense of reality, the final escape from the karmic cycle.

=]

.c
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha! gd point! :lol: buy this man a pint 8)
  • keke
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Digitelle wrote:
Hi, I grew up in North Berkeley, (literally 1 mile from Albany) How are you guys going to go about recording and posting your findings? I assume that since this is an experiment, that you are going about the research in a methodical way. Do you have a control person, (some one who remains immersed in the American culture?) Does each experimenter keep a journal, is there a list of questions that each experimenter must answer each day? What is your hypothesis? Do you have a blog or other message board (besides this one) on which to post your findings? Also how do you intend to reintroduce each experimenter back into society, since that is also a large part of your experiment.

Just a few things to think about before you begin.

like you site
  • keke
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

you need to see farris bulers day off again this project is way too serious for me do you listen to aphex twin ?:
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aphex Twin is awesome. My favorite song of theirs (er, his, as the case may be) is Acid Acrid Jam (I think it's called... anyway, it's the first song on the CD that's all white with big black letters on in... heh, I know, bad description, but I don't carry the jewel cases around and tend to forget album names, and I seem to have left that CD at home today). That song, for some reason, always makes me think of driving around downtown Detroit... weird, huh?

.c
  • keke
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah but the isolation ofthe woods is a far cry from isolation in a bank and then writing music i really like the music videos for aphex he truely rocks do you like plasic man?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I haven't see that one. Come to think about it, I haven't watched a music video in... hmm... probably two years =]
.c
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude i have done that before. i once stayed in the woods for 2 weeks during the summer. we took like 4 cans of beans and one box of matches. well beer too. dude by the end we were trying to hunt we were so hungry. we just had big sticks and rocks. we found some berries though. i killed a bird that was in this rock over hang thing with my stick. my buddy cooked it, but i didnt want to eat it. i thought it was sick because, well i was able to kill it.
we all ended up sick and tired but man we thought totaly different after that. i recommend staying in the woods for a while for everyone.
  • keke
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Carnix wrote:
No, I haven't see that one. Come to think about it, I haven't watched a music video in... hmm... probably two years =]
.c

oh my goodness its is really good they banned it from the US.. the one that i really like is windowlicker but he has others too you have to buy the dvd to see them my friend from england sent it to my email.. it was cool so i went out and baught the whole dvd, so entertaining

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts