Hillary's Inelligiblity

• dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/12/03 ... 5731.shtml

In the end, this will go unaccounted for. Something recorded as another instance, but nothing done about it.

What does that mean to you? Is something like this best left alone, or should government be held to the law? Is the constitution worth following?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not really sure what you mean by "unaccounted for". Did you read the whole article? They're not setting a precedence here. This has been done before. It seems to me this issue is bandied about every time a new cabinet is installed.

Anyway, IMO the US Constitution is very much worth following. However, the Constitution wasn't designed as a rigid mindless set of words. It is, rather, a framework that allows for just this type of maneuvering because the forefathers dealt with the same issues and need for flexibility that we do.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who cares? It sounds like a stupid rule anyway. Oh my the Secretary of State's salary was raised so now you can't take that position. Seriously? But like the article stated, they have worked around this before and her husband was the last one to do it. It is a ridiculous non-story.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant unaccounted as there will be no real issue, it will be recorded that she is the 3rd to do so, and the law will not be addressed. Shouldn't it? If it needs to be "bended" why not modify it so it is fully legal then?

Certainly Hillary did not foresee herself as Secretary of State when voting on that. She was intending to run for President.

Does that make it right though? Not until the law is changed.

Grinch, you don't see any issue with lawmakers being able to pass laws that benefit themselves?

In summary, cases like these raise the question, which laws require compliance? Who is deciding that?

Are we expecting the government to play by the rules or modify the rules as sees fit in any situation?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

the second paragraph free's her of this

Quote:
Article I, Section 6, of the Constitution says this: “No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been increased during such time.”

notice the word in bold!!!!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aha! Mrs. Clinton has a workaround. LOL.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol
I guess so!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
the second paragraph free's her of this

Quote:
Article I, Section 6, of the Constitution says this: “No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been increased during such time.”

notice the word in bold!!!!

*gasp* sexist!!!

lol just kidding

It seems that some laws come with counter-laws or work-a-rounds :roll:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts