How can I...?

• Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently a full-time college student for Graphic Design. However, because of the imaturity of some of my fellow classmates, our FTP access has been turned off by the admins. But I do a lot of freelancing work and NEED to FTP when I NEED to FTP . Because the teachers disagree with the school's decision, they allow me to use their instructor machines (which retain FTP access) when there is time in class. But there is not always time when I need it.

Is there a workaround to this? A way that I can FTP *my* files to *my* server from class? Or any other place that I can park files so someone (say a client) could view them active on-line? As of lately, I've been sending the .zip folders containing all the images folders and html pages to view their sites locally, but rerouting all the links is becoming a pain in the arse...

I'm not looking to 'break' what the admins have done, but I need some way to go live with pages in the middle of class. Any ideas?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can use a php uploading script, I'd imagine that'd get by the system just fine.

I think that the decision made to block ftp access is idiotic. What is your major?
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

if your server space uses the cpanel control panel software you should already have a file uploading tool. try that before installing a php upload script. Both of them are web-based upload scripts and if one works chances are the other will too.

But I think that there is a good chance that the firewall you are behind will block HTTP packets that are going the other way if it thinks they do not contain anything other than a request for information.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't you have ftp access to one of your domains? Like the fall of autumn site? or did they block the student machines from FTP'ing?
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
don't you have ftp access to one of your domains? Like the fall of autumn site? or did they block the student machines from FTP'ing?

They blocked all student FTPing, only instructor machines allow it.

Could someone explain the PHP stuff a little more, or maybe supply a link? I've never used anything other than WS_FTP before, which is what I always used at school until they blocked it last week.

@ b_hayer: I agree it is idiotic, as do my instructors, which is why they allow me to use their's as much as possible without getting either of us in troble. My major is Graphic Design, I prefer to focus on the web-based stuff, but am also taking 3-D, Photoshop and DV editing...
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohh alrighty, I was going to say if you were majoring in CS and they blocked it thats just down right...blaah!
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

perhaps http://www.tailoredweb.com/downloads.php
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Odd problem. What are the chances that you could simply remote to your server, map a drive and just copy and paste your files? That's what I do. I have FTP completely disabled on my server (Win2k) and simply just remote in. Much quicker method that way.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess that depends on if it is his server or a payhost.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

and also what OS he is running. (windows or linux)
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

My concern with the answers he is getting, is that they appear to be attempts to circumvent blocks set up by the legal guardians to his school's computer hardware.
Should he not at least attempt to contact the school's governing body to get this action reversed rather than him perhaps run into legal issues?
I agree, the blocks meant to refuse access to ftp are a kneejerk response to those less-mature than this student, but they were put in place by those in a position to legally do so.
Attempts to circumvent such blocks may render the student legally actionable.

If enough instructors and students came forward to try and get this action reversed, it might be the safer bet.

Just an opinion, eh...

C.C.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just editted your title becuase it was driving me crazy :shock:
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Short journey, eh :lol:

C.C.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

takes one to know one
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys, its a payhost, I use both 1and1.com and doteasy.com

Using Windows NT but can't install or d/l because of everyone playing video games or hitting Kazaa for the last couple of months, so I don't know if I'll be able to drive map...

Thanks again guys for the help...
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was going to mention port forwarding requests from another WKP that would be open to your ftp, however I now see you pay a hosting company.

Question: (Well, ok it's 2 questions in one), does your hosting company permit ssh connections? If so, does your school permit outgoing ssh connections? (port 22)? (If you don't know, don't ask them, they may do something crazy and start blocking it. :) ) Try it and see.

If so, then I would imagine that scp (secure copy) is also functional on your hosting end. If you are using a windows machine (cough cough) to send the files, then look into winscp, or any other freeware client for scp'ing. Basically, it sends files over an SSH connection. Now, if your host uses Windows... then I am not sure. I doubt sincerely you could do the drive mapping as I doubt they have netbios ports open from the outside, and the other form of mapping uses ftp -- which we already know is a no-no.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts