How to clean white walls?

• kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Geneva, Bangkok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

This might sound a bit stupid, but i would like to know how one can clean dirty white walls to become nice wals agin.

I am moving from my appartement today and there is a spot which I would like to be cleaned before i leave.

Without having to pain the whole wall again, what can I do to make it look at least satisfying enough for the owner.

If anyone knows its much appreciated.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can try just washing it with soap and water, but thats about it aside from painting.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

some dishwashing liquid on a damp cloth will help. Make sure you don't use a lot of water, just damp enough and not much detergent or it will just make it stand out more. rub lightly and dont scrub it

:)
  • DiamondTiger
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Podunk, Oklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get you some Kaboom! That stuff cleans just about anything. lol A friend of mine decided to paint his house. He was a smoker for I don't know how many years... anyway, he cleaned his walls with Kaboom before he painted and the years of smoke build up literally melted away. :shock:
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

get a metal brush and brush, brush and bruch until there is nothing left :twisted:

seriously use a wet cloth and rub that side until is clean...
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the States, we have this thing, and while I've not personally tried it, my ex informed me that it's brilliant at cleaning walls. You could also try a spot of bleach, well (very well) diluted.

Good luck!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What made the spot ?
What kind of finish does the paint have ?

If it's a satin finish you're wasting your time trying to clean it, you'll only make it worse !

If it's a semi-gloss finish it may be cleanable depending on what made the spot & the age/condition of the paint in that room.

Wash your hands thoroughly, then lightly rub your finger on the paint in an inconspicuous spot, if it has any kind of chalky or porous feel then don't try to clean it !

What kind of condition will you be leaving the appartment in other than that spot on the wall ?
If it's great condition & you haven't been giving the management a hard time then forget about it, appartment complexes generally paint between tennants anyway...
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

One word: Folex
That stuff is magic. It's "technically" carpet cleaner, but in my experience, it works on everything I have tried, even walls.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
In the States, we have this thing, and while I've not personally tried it, my ex informed me that it's brilliant at cleaning walls. You could also try a spot of bleach, well (very well) diluted.

Good luck!

This magic eraser works great. I used it on all my walls right before I moved out of my last apartment. It's amazing.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

i third magic eraser
it can also be used on carpets
it was really good when cleaning off a green[?] spot on the wall of our condo
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does that magic eraser work on walls that aren't white? Mine are kind of gold. But I need something like that.
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Geneva, Bangkok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Well i got it away very well just with simple warm water and a sponge. It took about an hour of fine, sensitive scrubbing but in the end it looked good enough for the owner not to notice.

Unfortunatly we don't have any Magic Erasers here but luckily it went with out it.

Thanks Everyone
  • d3vlabs
  • Born
  • Born
  • d3vlabs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same question as the thread starter ,yet

"Wash your hands thoroughly, then lightly rub your finger on the paint in an inconspicuous spot, if it has any kind of chalky or porous feel then don't try to clean it ! "

My walls are exactly that, chalky and porous.
  • Justlemmepostalready
  • Justlemmepostalready

Post 3+ Months Ago

You people are so considerate. Cleaning the walls for the next occupants. You get extra good karma pts for that for sure. Much better than say a person who leaves a floater bobbing around in the toilet for the next occupants to enjoy.

lol ... I'm just in a silly mood folks, ignore me.

:D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts