• Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

ModernDestroyer wrote:
well I got this nickname because I break allot of things, tools, computers, stuff like that.

I have a friend named charlie (chuck) just like that.
He brakes stuff so often we now refer to breaking somthing as "Chucking it up" :D

As for my handle, i'm still in the searching phase UNFLUX mentioned before. Someone called me this before & it came to mind when I was registering. :D
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Glad you clarified that. Here all this time I've been pronouncing it PLOO-TOON-E-UM

How can you procounce something you read? :roll:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

IH8Purple --
I consider what I say in my mind equivelent to what I say with my mouth. Words are important. They are how we communicate -- More-so in my opinion are names. That's why I started this thread to begin with. I love seeing why people choose the handles they do. That's why I always make an attempt to address people by the handle they chose to use. If it's important to them, it should be important to me.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I consider what I say in my mind equivelent to what I say with my mouth.

I do belive that names are inportant, I think I just may have realised a difference in a way of read. By that, I think that the way you read is almost that you say the words to yourself in your head after you read them. When I read it has absolutely no connection to spoken words. I see letters, words, sentences and paragraphs, but I do not see or hear sounds. In that sense I have no 'observation' as to how written words may be pronounced. I did not intend to offend your belief in names, nor the way you read, and I apologize for this misunderstanding.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, many people do that. lol.
PLOO-TON-E-UM

share the word lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles ... think about it like this IH8Purple ...read this:
"Can you hear me now" Did you read that, or did you hear that?
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

whatlikesit12345

its my sn
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
*smiles ... think about it like this IH8Purple ...read this:
"Can you hear me now" Did you read that, or did you hear that?

I read it. If I want to hear it I have to read very slowly, then speed at which I can talk, which is much slower than the speed I can read. I can look at 4-5 words in one glance, but I can most certainly not say 4-5 words in that time
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

IH8Purple wrote:

I read it. If I want to hear it I have to read very slowly, then speed at which I can talk, which is much slower than the speed I can read. I can look at 4-5 words in one glance, but I can most certainly not say 4-5 words in that time

*still smiling...well that was only 5 words...but I'm equally as sure that's a quote you've heard a thousand times...hence my point. I think you were closer on your prior answer....

P.S. there was no "misunderstanding"...just so you know.
  • AnthonyF
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im totally unoriginal - mines my *real* name.
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
IH8Purple --
I consider what I say in my mind equivelent to what I say with my mouth. Words are important. They are how we communicate -- More-so in my opinion are names. That's why I started this thread to begin with. I love seeing why people choose the handles they do. That's why I always make an attempt to address people by the handle they chose to use. If it's important to them, it should be important to me.

How funny! I do the same thing ATNO/TW, but I thought I was the only one. In fact, if I can't pronounce a word I see on the page in my head, I just skip over it and keep going.

I find the worst is when I run into abbreviations or text that really isn't pronouncable. It's most noticeable for me when I'm writing HTML code. I'm literally talking to myself in my head as I write the code (sometimes I even get bad enough to mumble it to myself as I'm writing). I'll say </title> as "close title" or whatever the tag name is. :lol:

What would that be called, aural reading?

Mark
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently "Nego" is a cat food company in Japan. I was in there for one summer when I was like 8 years old and the technology in the place was amazing I stayed there for like an hour despite the really bad smell. Kind of got me into computers actually.
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV (blech!)

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, my name came from when I got my tattoo...

Let's see if you can visualize...

I have a tattoo on my lower back of an angel facing backwards, crosslegged, with no clothes (i.e. natural). She is inside a star, and she in turn has a star on her back... maybe I'll just post a pic... ooh maybe I'll create a thread about tattoos!! My tattoo was designed by a really good friend of mine, so it's very original.. one of a kind.. like me! :P

anyway, that's where "natural" and "angel" came from. I added the underscore because I hate it when I can't read something that is 2 words put together. The 33 came because I thought it looked like angel wings, although now I see doesn't really...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I make computer based media.
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I make computer based media.

Very succinct dM. :lol:
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Himachal Pradesh (India)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like products from Macromedia, especially the Studio MX. I took my handle from Macromedia " dreamweaver " 8)
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mine's OZZU spelt backwards!

Ingenious. Surprised no-one took it so I was pleased when I got it. He he.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I happened to look at the Members list and was just curious.

I came up with Carnix about 6 years ago. I was working trying to get some stuff working on a Unix box and was looking for an answer to a question online and need to create a user account for a message board. The server's name was "Carpathia" so I came up with Carnix. I've more or less kept it ever since.

I though it was quite clever an unique at the time... I've since been relieved of that belief and have seen a number of carnixi here and there. Turns out, it was also the name of a celtic battle horn (spelled carnyx).

.c
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um, my initials? With a number on the end.....

Cos I'm cool :roll:
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol @ rtm, mines just my nick name "tone" and the year 2000 "2k" and "11" as 1+1=2 (i started using it in 2002)

Bit out date now lol.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like fox's... and then this was my user name on battle.net, then acct got deleted so I used foxy, and got used to it..
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The FreeBSD mascot is a Daemon, often and inaccurately named "chuck". The appropriate and accepted name is "Beastie", (for BSD-ie).
I am a FBSD enthusiast, and I am a guy -- at least the last time I checked. :)
Hence, Daemon-Guy.

Not very imaginative, but I left those days behind me, along with my old monikers. ;)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

This was discussed before in another post, please use the search function.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did. feel free to post the link, because I sure didn't find one that was specifically about this.
.c
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't think of that term since I don't refer to it as a handle
I searched for "user name" "username" "how did you decided on your username" "where did your username come from"

Silly me.

Although, actually searching for "handle" doesn't show that thread, not on the first page anyway... nor does "how did you get your handle" or "How did you decide on your handle?" which is the topic of the thread in question (it shows up half way down page four).

Sorry for the imposition. :oops:

.c
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the image of SHaoLin monks fighting in my mind one day and hence the nick.
:lol:
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Umm, my two different S/Ns were either tomis-maximus and/or tom the great. I used them for accounts on Diablo 1, and since the first forum I joined was a diablo forum, I just used my account name, then i Just kept the name for all the other forums I go to.

I am starting to not like it so much, because it makes it sound like I have to big of an ego..
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I searched for the word name in general only. Found it about 10 posts down.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 166 posts