How did you decide on your handle?

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to breakdance and my crew members were all from montreal and they each had the area code for their city embedded in their nicknames (514) and so I had to come up with one which ended up being my handle 613 being my area code and flavah the nickname the guys in my group gave me for being the only female in the crew
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

my nae is dan qualter so i had dqualter as a e-mail bout 5 years ago and ever since i kept it . so now you dqualter@mostfreeemail.com lol!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was kinda along the the same lines as UNFLUX when I came up with Truce Co. I meant for Co. to stand for Company but everyone just looks at me funny when I say it so I switched to Truce Technologies. Sometimes I will use Truce on forums and such, and other times I use TruceTech (usually when you have to have 8 chars). Now I am evolving the name into Truce Designs, but I have still kept the Truce.

Hey, it is a lot better than my handle my frosh year of HS: "Talking Toilet Productions" <---LOL!
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mine came about from listening to a Conference Call one day actually. In the Marketing Company Im in, there are several teams. One of teams is fast becoming the largest one in the comapny. When I first started I wanted to model my team after the best in the business. And this team really got my interest. I managed to aquire the codes and times to their team Conference Calls and listened in one day. They were talking about not quitting, and being determined to win. Turns out that their mascot is the Shark, and to keep each other motivated, they say Shark Shark! A couple of months later, I was having a tough time, I had some people leave my team, and I wasn't making any money (being that this was my only form of income that wasnt a good thing :P ) I was sitting at home one day, trying to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it, when I suddenly remembered that conference call. I made up my mind right then I wasnt going to quit, closed my eyes and whispered Shark Shark! to myself. Two hours later, I sponsered one of mystrongest leaders that I have today. So, even though the Idea wasn't originally mine, it became mine when I needed it. Hence, when I needed an Online nickname, since I still hadn't decided on a name for my website, I just decided to use my favorite phrase.

SHARKSHARK!!!
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

I fly Nitro Powers Remote control Airplanes. On my first attempt my hand got in the way of the prop and I sliced my lefty thumb off. A couple of stitches later and being a flyer I picked up the tag line. Tom "Lefty" Erikson.
  • DangerX3
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Everett, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was playing Tribes 2, and I couldn't come up with a name, so I read a label like on a toy that says Danger: Choking hazard, so I used Danger, but it was taken. I decided that I should just put numbers at the end, but I hate doing that. I realized I could just make it look like a part of the name and look (this is gonna be corny) "high-tech ish" lol. So I added X3 to the end. Ever since then that has been the screen name I use.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

its my name :P
  • outlaw
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

been my nickname since my friends bailed me outta the jailhouse......so I've always used it...
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

My last name is Puhakka so I just took away "uh" and I got my puKKa ^^

Musik: musik is also musik on swedish :)
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

i usually alternate between "sleepee" and "katana".
I use "sleepee" as a shorter form of "kindasleepee", which is related to something on the liner notes of a radiohead CD, and which I used as a handle on a radiohead chat room.
I use "katana" (as in the japanese sword) just because I'm interested in japan, and ninjutsu.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

katana wrote:
I use "katana" (as in the japanese sword) just because I'm interested in japan, and study ninjutsu, in which we use katanas.

Ninjitsu has always been an interest of mine, I am a martial arts enthusiast, holding rank in 4 styles, but I haven't had a chance to get into ninjitsu. I met Grandmaster Stephen Hayes several years back at a conference. Nice to know that Ninjistu is still around. :)
  • Hazard
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool sharkshark!
mine came from a guy in my class who left last year - my real name is Haaziq (pronounced ha [as in hazard] zeeq) and sum guys played around with my name for a nick, and got, hazelnut, hazzy, hazzo, hazbeen, HAZARD. and its been that handle since last year, and all the things ive registered with have the username hazard. if thats taken already, i use sk8fish...
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh, when I was around 10 years old I was playing a game called Ultima Exodus. It required you to make a ton of names for characters (sometimes) so at one point I was making a wizard and I thought of the name Summon. But it had to be 5 letters. So I changed it to Sumen, and I pronounce it in my head like Summon. I used it once in a community site and it stuck pretty well.

My other handles are Dawn Of Night, Assault, and IAmCatastrophe

Assault for when playing games, because I like strong offensives and my friend likes to play on the name Battery (we team together). I Am Catastrophe is because catastrophe is always taken. And I actually like Dawn Of Night the most but if I use it im often mistaken as a female. It is nice sometimes because people treat you so much more nicely :p
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to play Starcraft all the time on Battle.NET, where I used the name LucasSix.

The name comes from Starcraft. If you play Protoss and click on a scout, he makes these two sounds:

http://home.satx.rr.com/airforcedave/lucassix.wav

To me it sounds like he is saying "Lucas acknowledged. Teleport six escape."
  • mzlizbit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mzlizbit

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, my name is elizabeth. my organic chemistry teacher used to call me Miss Elizabeth so everyone started calling me that. if you say Miss Elizabeth really fast it'll come out as "misslizbit"...ergo....Mzlizbit
  • Sohaib
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

its just my name :wink: Sohaib Romi
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

My name is as simple as this...was thinking of an ID to have on a forum i was a member of and had a look around the room for the first word that didnt seem too questionable and seemed quite good and i came across my computer speakers which at the time were 'Screenbeat' which i broke down eventually to SB which is as you see it to this day.

Having said that, many times i have changed the meanings of SB to certain words representing certain times of year...for example, xmas time i would be called something like Santa Beat(er)...not that i am particularly keane on that! :D
  • SKATER
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to ice skate and ice_skater was just too much to type in. Been SKATER -- <SKATER] for quite a few years now. since about 1996
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 4 main ones that I use (depending on the focus of the site or community I'm at)

My main one is Hitek. I've been using it since my C=64 BBS days. It's just a clever acronym for my first name (Keith) I use this one on ICQ, my personal email address, IRC chat sessions, but it's damn near impossible to get on any active forum now, so I don't even try anymore.

My Secondary is ScienceofSpock, which I picked on a whim while trying to find a MSN email address that wasn't taken and didn't require a string of numbers after it. It kind of fits (I AM a trek fan, and consider myself intelligent) so I stuck with it. I use this on technical forums and communities where the members are generally helpful.

GapingWound - This was just horific enough to suit my sometimes dark sense of humor, and fits well with FPS gaming forums, so that's where I use it.

Mapfiend, this one I use on my site, and any forums that deal with online RPG's.

As a side note, I once had the AIM ID of "toomanydamnpeopleusingaimtogetagoodusername" but I have since changed it :)
  • Cii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Cii
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

random characters typed when changing my name in a CS game. stuck with it afterwards.
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

IH8Purple wrote:
my name comes from a comedy thing I say on tv where the guy (Mitch something) said "I don't care if they are white black purple or green... purple or green? now you have to draw the line somewhere, TO HELL WITH PURPLE PEOPLE, unless they are choking, then help'em"
Well. I'm glad to finally know where that came from. Your avatar looks like one of those purple peeps easter candies. No matter how old we are, my mom always gives them to us kids. We all hate those things, but it wouldnt be Easter without those awful. sickeningly bright, dye flavored, marshmellowy, little peeps! (So, I guess deep down we really like em a lot! ;))

If you don't know what peeps are ---->http://www.justborn.com/products/peeps.html (We never get all those fancy extra-Easter peeps. We only get the original, old fashioned bird ones.)
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

assneck wrote:
i can't believe my parents named me assneck :(
I can.

he he. Just kiddin.
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

IH8Purple wrote:
ATNO/TW wrote:
I consider what I say in my mind equivelent to what I say with my mouth.

I do belive that names are inportant, I think I just may have realised a difference in a way of read. By that, I think that the way you read is almost that you say the words to yourself in your head after you read them. When I read it has absolutely no connection to spoken words. I see letters, words, sentences and paragraphs, but I do not see or hear sounds. In that sense I have no 'observation' as to how written words may be pronounced. I did not intend to offend your belief in names, nor the way you read, and I apologize for this misunderstanding.

I like to "say" the words I read in my head, just like ATNO. But in school I was put in a speed reading class, and they didnt like us to do that. Just like you said, purple peep, they like u to read a bunch of words at one time without saying them, cus it slows u down if u do. (We even move our mouth muscles without realizing it if we hear it in our heads.)
  • lilsi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • lilsi

Post 3+ Months Ago

My name is Simon, and o'm small....sooo lilsi...I still don't get what your name stands for....I got lost reading...
  • lilsi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • lilsi

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW im talking to, and the thing i said o'm, I meant i'm,sorrry.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, this name is obviously my own. It is also the one I use in the game SubSpace, though in that game, it is written, SamHughes, without a space. Pretty much every username I've had has been some variant on my name or my initials.

Oddly, some people were surprised when I told them it was my actual name. But I didn't choose the name of a Canadian general or a Tucson elementary school on purpose! :)

One exception is the username "rashakil," which I've used from time to time when I don't feel like being recognized. This username is actually a randomly-generated password that I once got when registering for a usenet server. I was very surprised at its pronouncability, so I used it. I am sure it was random because on other occasions of registering for the usenet server (I forgot the password after each of a couple of reformats), it was a mix of letters and numbers.
  • Jade456
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ScienceOfSpock wrote:
I've been using it since my C=64 BBS days.

Sweet. I spent many, many hours on my Commodore 64 and then on my Amiga. The good old days of working OS and stability.

My handle came from my Parrot.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wanted to revive this topic out of pure interest.

My handle has been with me since high school. Its a mix of my full family name: first and middle initial (D.A.) and snippet of my last name (REMEDY). Its also fitting that my family comes from a musical background, so we have "the remedy". I'm also known as a very helpful person, and hence I'm "the remedy" to the problem. I have dozens of aliases I use across the net and I have a whole slew of nicknames that my friends/family call me, but daremedy is one thats just stuck.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Theres no method or creativity behind mine....my name is Darek....I simply put a Mr. in front of it..... :wink:
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well...I believe a man is made by his job and mine is sweepin cow manure (when I'm workin for pa) and his name (and ma called me Tom) so that's how I'd like y'all to think of me

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 166 posts