How does PayPal work?

• conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

This must sound so stupid, but...

Okay. I'm doing an art gallery site, and they want people to be able to order prints of some pieces. We figured that using PayPal would work...but how do I use it?

I want customers to be able to pay using PayPal with a credit card and not have to set up an account and all that crap. I read through what I think is all the documentation, and I'm still confused. If someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a perfect solution. Paypal benefits those who don't have credit cards but can do withdrawels from checking accounts. However, they can still pay with a credit card straight up withought a Paypal account. Working example:
http://atnopro.com/payment/payment.html

Click the payment button. Click where it says If you have never paid through PayPal click here.
You'll then see the option on bottom left "If you don't have a PayPal account
and want to pay with a credit card:"

Works like a charm, however they do charge you a small percentage for credit card payments.

Any contributions welcome! *wink (j/k)
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, that makes more sense. Is there anything sp3shul I would have to set up to enable that? Credit card numbers or checking accounts and the like?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Checking - they send a "small" deposit to the account - when you get your bank statements you need to confirm the "amounts" in the email they send to complete their verification process.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Added note - if I recall you HAVE to become verified in order to withdraw more than (I think it's $500) from the account in any given month or something like that -- I'd have to re-read the TOS again.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

*light dawns on Maggie's poor, sad brain*

Okay. So would I have to pay PayPal so that people could pay me through them, or is it free?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the check and transfer tansactions are free - but I'm sure they deduct a percentage from pure credit card transactions - it's convenient and worth the small amount thoough. Their instructions are pretty clear. You should be able to get it done pretty easily - I did.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mkeh. I ask because I know nothing.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck. It's a pretty painless process - just follow instructions - you'll have it up in no time. They even provide you the HTML code for the form -- you don't even have to write any of it! *lol
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mkay. Thanks!
  • myemailaccount
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • myemailaccount
  • Loc: North of Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Paypal alot for ebay what you need to do is make an account then put money in the account through a checking account or a credit card then if you transfer money they charge 2% giving money to anothere person is free but to give money to another person you need to know there email adress they made there paypal account on

Hope this helps
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uhm...thanks?
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I'm pretty much new into paypal aswell, so if someone wants to make a donation or something to your website or whatever through paypal, they actually have to have a paypal account right? Ir cant they just pay through credit cards?
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh...I forget.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Either one Dragon - see my example above.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was checking it out, but I'm still kinda confused. If someone would want to make a donation or whatever, how would they do it through paypal?
Sorry but really didn't get a whole lot of info from the sample...I'm kinda slow today. :roll:
I went to http://www.paypal.com and I found this maybe it can aswer some of the questions, it was usefull for me...

What is PayPal?

With more than 40 million member accounts in over 38 countries worldwide, PayPal is the world's largets online payment service. PayPal makes sending money as easy as sending email. Any PayPal member can instantly and securely send money to anyone in the U.S. with an email address. PayPal can also be used on a web-enabled cell phone. In the future, PayPal will be available to use on web-enabled pagers and other handheld devices.

I received a payment through PayPal. Now what?

After you sign up for a PayPal account, the payment you received will automatically be reflected in your account balance. There are many ways to use the funds in your PayPal balance:
Use it to send a payment to someone else
Use PayPal's virtual debit card to shop anywhere online
Sign up for the PayPal Money Market Reserve Fund to earn a return on your PayPal balance
Withdraw the money to your bank account
Request a PayPal ATM/Debit Card, and spend the money anywhere the MasterCard or Cirrus logos are displayed, or withdraw the money from an ATM

How do I receive money?

When someone sends you money using PayPal, you'll receive a "You've Got Cash!" email notification. The funds will be instantly credited to your account balance. You can request money from someone by clicking the Request Money tab and filling out the form. Show me You can even request money from several people at the same time by separating the email addresses with a comma.

Although I checked out a couple of stuff, I still don't know how does people pay you if they don't have paypal but you do.... :(
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If they don't have paypal, they can either sign up for an account at paypal, or they can simply charge it to their credit card like any other store checkout.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aight that sounds good.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have another question....
Does a paypall account (personal account) counts as a credit card or something?
And is it required to be over 18?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dragon wrote:
Does a paypall account (personal account) counts as a credit card or something?
And is it required to be over 18?

The answer to the first question is no, it does not. The answer to the second question is yes you have to be over 18:

Quote:
This Agreement was last modified on February 13, 2004.

Eligibility. In order to use the Service, you must register for a Personal, Premier, or Business account. Users may only hold one Personal account and either one Premier or one Business account. Our Services are only available to individuals or businesses that can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. Without limiting the foregoing, our Service is not available to minors (under 18), persons who are suspended from our Service, or to persons who present an unacceptable level of credit risk. In order to receive credit card funded payments or use the Service to conduct business or in conjunction with a business, you must upgrade to or register for a Premier or Business account.

The rest here should answer most of the rest of everyone's questions:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... ua-outside

Always read the user agreements and/or terms of service. They almost always clear up the answers that are hard to understand from the marketing side.
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

aight thanks a lot!
  • anton
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anton
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

conorific wrote:
This must sound so stupid, but...

Okay. I'm doing an art gallery site, and they want people to be able to order prints of some pieces. We figured that using PayPal would work...but how do I use it?

I want customers to be able to pay using PayPal with a credit card and not have to set up an account and all that crap. I read through what I think is all the documentation, and I'm still confused. If someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great...

Are u sure you want to use Paypal? I mean sure, they're well-known and all that, but they also have a lot of issues and a lot of people don't like them. There are a lot of bad reviews regarding them at http://www.paypalsucks.com as well as at paypalwarning I think.
My opinion is that u should look into some alternatives as well. They might be less-known or newer to the market, but some of these are a good competition to paypal. Some examples are: moneybookers, 2checkout, stormpay, ikobo, epassporte, e-gold, authorize.net and so on. I'm not sure whether they all have merchant accounts but some definitely have; ikobo for example as well as moneybookers. The latter one seems to have higher set-up fees and smaller coverage than ikobo I think.
You should check some of these out for yourself.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah. personaly I wouldn't touch paypal with a ten foot clown pole because of some of the stuff I read at paypalsucks.

Avoid stormpay as well, that is run by a scammer who runs a whole lot of scams (Ever heard of those laptop matrixes? Well this guy ran about 4 - they're trying to shut him down right now)

I persoan,ly use and recomend 2checkout. They allow you to accept credit cards without the person buying from you signing up.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

saw paypalsucks link.
I didnt know that paypal was that lame.
..More feedbacks on 2checkout ?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no idea what the truth is, but consider this:

Paypal have the rules to cover their backs, the other companies probably have similar.

Paypal are bigger = more transactions = more times it goes wrong. Thousands of transactions every day, stuff will go wrong

Paypal are big and people like to knock the sucessful companies (microsoft anyone?)

I'd like to see percentage figures for these horror stories - I've never come across anyone who actually had a problem with paypal, and it seems to me

Just because a company is smaller and their faults are less well documented does not mean they are safer. There will always be a risk of problems using a company like this, especially when everything is automated.

Just something to think about
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've used PayPal for close to 2 years and never had a problem. Personally, I find it convenient and the service is quick. I always get my money transfers in the time period they specify. I'm comfortable with them.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know anyone personally but I know someone who does. He knows people that have had thousands of dollars ripped out of their pockets by paypal.

Just because you haven't had a problem with them, doesn't mean you won't. Personally I'd rather not take the risk.

And don't think 2CO does less sales, they are on heaps of sites. $70 million plus in sales so far this year.

Whats more, a google search for people ripped off by 2checkout reveals nothing (i went through the first five pages) while finding someone ripped off by paypal is easy
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally i find paypal has been professional and good so far.
no problems with it too.

Quote:
He knows people that have had thousands of dollars ripped out of their pockets by paypal.

maybe more information on that??
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll speak to him tomorrow. Well actually today. (it just past midnight here)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
Just because you haven't had a problem with them, doesn't mean you won't.

Surely that was the point I was trying to make.... I think :lol:

75 mil in a half year, compared to paypals 437 mil last year. Taking into account paypals consistantly exponential growth rate since 2000, I would predict total sales on paypal circa $605m for 2004. Thats like 4 times the amount that 2checkout stands to make. This = 4x the amount of stuff going wrong. Plus they are a higher profile company IMHO

If paypal have access to thousands of pounds of someone's money, I would sugest that that person is careless with their money, and paypal is not entirely to blame.

I know I have never had a problem with paypal, and I also know that I would never use them for anything over £100.

http://www.nexusportal.net/showthread/t-3701.html
theres gonna be problems with every service. Noones perfect
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 89 posts