How fast is wireless broadband in the UK?

• Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I got a wireless broadband router to connect two computers wirelessly to a broadband connection of 512k, and if only one computer was accessing the Internet at any one time, what is the maximum realistic bandwidth that I will be getting?

I know its faster if you have wires and I also know the currrent technology for wireless broadband/adsl routers is at the 802.11g standard, allowing data transfer at 54mbps.

Having a bit of trouble googling this.
  • shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: N.Y.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no idea on the specifics, but there really isn't anything faster then broadband. I work for aol/timewarner now (summer job) and i know that roadrunner/broadband is what we recommend to customers all the time b/c there aren't many other songs faster then it
  • shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: N.Y.

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry i meant internet connections* not songs, sorry
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The internet would not be faster if you have the current version of 802.11 besause the dsl/cable will always be the bottle neck on the internet connection. You could have a 10/100/100 internal network connection it is still limited to the dsl/cable connection speed and it is much more slower than a 10/100/1000 mbps network. As you say it is faster if you have wires that would be 10/100 operating probally at 100.
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its ok guys I have searched around, talked around and done my research, Ill let you guys know for reference, that if you have two pc's in the house and want to share the Internet connection and do so wirelessly, the best thing to do is get a wired adsl router, a wap(wireless access point) and wireless cards in your pc's, laptops, and make sure the technology u r going for is 802.11g and the internet will be as fast as with wires, with 54Mbps data transfer speeds between computers.

You can get the tranfer speeds up to 108Mbps but it will cost more. Cant wait till Ive got wireless broadband. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESHHHHHHH!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts