How to find errant 'odd' characters in 'plain text'?

• juanantoniod
  • juanantoniod
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone,

I ran into a problem yesterday with Webforms that I have experienced before, but never seen in 'in action'. It is where you submit text and it ends up at the other end with miscellaneous weird characters for the quote signs and other symbols.

I was helping my mom do some posting on Websites, and she had some text that we wanted to copy and paste into the Webform. I thought that the protocol for doing this was to:
1. Save the Word Document as a text file;
2. Open the text file in Notepad;
3. Resave the Notepad text file under a different name; and
4. Copy and paste the text into the Webform.

However, when I did this, some of the quote signs and apostophres looked weird. But it was not so much that they looked weird when copied, it was after the Webform had 'processed' the input (counting the characters), that it came back with these odd characters for quote signs and apostrophes.

I was able to go into the text file in Notepad, change the quotes there, using the Arial font, and everything looked fine after that.

My question is: How can I 'process' a seemingly plain text file somewhere *first*, before pasting it into a Webform, so that I can see if there are any odd characters beforehand?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

A Word Doc is a binary file. I think that's where the unwanted characters originated. I don't think you can save it as a text file. If Notepad had been used in the first place, without Word, it probably would have been okay.
  • juanantoniod
  • juanantoniod
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I'm sure that Notepad, if used to *type* the file, would have resulted in a perfect text file, because when I changed the quotations in that program (Notepad), I could *see* a slight difference in the style of the single and double quotes as I replaced them.

Would copying text into Notepad++ result in 'clean' text? Where else can I copy the text and be able to see the binary characters that are not purely _plain_ text?

Thanks for your help!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never used Notepad++. You could try it or try Wordpad. There is nothing else in Windows,as far as I know.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

open office may have the extra formats but you need to open it in the program it was made in.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts