How to improve my spoken ENGLISH?

  • qianfan
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • qianfan
  • Posts: 10

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am from China,and I have a question that troubles our english learners who have not good oral communication environment:How to improve my spoken ENGLISH?

Can you give us some guide or valuable resources?

Thanks.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2997
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

talk to people and hear what/how they say words. i think he would help
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Posts: 764
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're not in an English speaking environment, try Skype. I know it's a bit unorthodox but it'll be a great way to perfect pronunciation and it'll help you improve your English too.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Posts: 178
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Put a hot patatoe in your mouth while trying to speak.

Good Luck!
  • sephknows
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8
  • Loc: Somewhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recommend watching an English-speaking television channel (surely you must have these, as we have Chinese-speaking channels here in the USA). If you use a digital video recorder then you may be able to pause and rewind in order to perfect a word or phrase.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1294
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

sephknows wrote:
I recommend watching an English-speaking television channel (surely you must have these, as we have Chinese-speaking channels here in the USA). If you use a digital video recorder then you may be able to pause and rewind in order to perfect a word or phrase.


Whatever you do DONT listen to USA english, we butcher the language beyonod recognition. I think we speak American (and various dialects of such) not english. So if you want to speak engish you should talk/chat/converse with like speaking languages. If on the other hand you want to be able to communicate with Americans, then you go to IRC or tune your TV to american tv and use subtitles.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Posts: 1258
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Watch how others move their tounge while speaking face to face. This way you can get a feel of how to pronounce everything correctly. You could also go infront of a mirror and record yourself. Listen to yourself after and make improvements. Small things can go so far. Good luck!
  • webomania
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • webomania
  • Posts: 21

Post 3+ Months Ago

Improving spoken is primarily through communication with others. There are websites that provide audio content to improve your vocabulary.however you have to start talking in English to improve it!
  • qianfan
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • qianfan
  • Posts: 10

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thans for all the kind suggestions!

webomania wrote:
websites that rovide audio content


How to find such websites or links?
  • sephknows
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8
  • Loc: Somewhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

typhon wrote:
sephknows wrote:
I recommend watching an English-speaking television channel (surely you must have these, as we have Chinese-speaking channels here in the USA). If you use a digital video recorder then you may be able to pause and rewind in order to perfect a word or phrase.


Whatever you do DONT listen to USA english, we butcher the language beyonod recognition. I think we speak American (and various dialects of such) not english. So if you want to speak engish you should talk/chat/converse with like speaking languages. If on the other hand you want to be able to communicate with Americans, then you go to IRC or tune your TV to american tv and use subtitles.


No common American will speak English very accurately. You may only find this trait in a well-educated person such as a professor at a university. In fact, I believe this trait to be true no matter what language you are speaking about. If he wished to learn English that well, then you are correct about television being inappropriate. However, if he wishes to speak English passingly, then television should suffice.
  • dustin_klug
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dustin_klug
  • Posts: 15

Post 3+ Months Ago

I watch BBC everyday. I thing it is a very good method.
  • LanaST
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 20
  • Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

watch the news in english
  • Archaic Sage
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Archaic Sage
  • Posts: 122
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can listen to BBC Radio 4, you'll be able to hear how the English Language is meant to be pronounced and alike, if you can emulate it to any degree, then it's a great start.

Of course, most English people do not talk like that. They're far more common and are unable to articulate any sort of comprehensible language.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3422
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ynyfrik wrote:
Put a hot patatoe in your mouth while trying to speak.

Good Luck!

LOL so true

If you want to get your spoken english better i would watch news channels like Fox or CNN or MSNBC. The reason, they can PRONOICATE unlike most people on the street. There is alot of slur that people say, like running words together.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5738
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

sephknows wrote:
You may only find this trait in a well-educated person such as a professor at a university.

I don't know, there's some actors out there that speak very clearly and precisely in their movies. Morgan freeman, Kevin Spacey, a large amount of the LOTR cast.

Just don't pick actors like... Sylvester Stallone, Arnold, Eddie Murphy, heh.

SpooF wrote:
The reason, they can PRONOICATE unlike most people on the street.

Yeah, and they can pronunciate and spell too ;)

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.