How long have you had your IP ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had the same IP at home since this post, made 11/7/2006, 12:55 am. Nearly 3 years ago. :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure that it didn't change & go back? I'm sure you didn't check it every day.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm betting the odds of me having the same IP for that long are better than the odds of me having the same IP just every time I look.

I could ask Bigwebmaster to query the database with something like this to influence the odds a little,

SQL Code: [ Select ]
SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT poster_ip)
FROM posts
WHERE poster_id = 3036
AND post_time > UNIX_TIMESTAMP('2006-11-08')
  1. SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT poster_ip)
  2. FROM posts
  3. WHERE poster_id = 3036
  4. AND post_time > UNIX_TIMESTAMP('2006-11-08')

The number should be right around 6694.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The answer on that query is:

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bet the 3 other IP addresses can be traced back to me posting from my next door neighbors apartment, a friends house, and one other location which I'll remember when I read the post(s). :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

There were 7 posts made with the 3 IP addresses other than the one I have now.

4/7 were made from one address on consecutive weekends I was visiting friends. I know this because I remember making this post while I was there and that post uses the address.

2/7 posts use one of the other IP addresses and the reason it's using that IP address is Bigwebmaster had to splice those two posts in and change the username afterwards. One of those posts is in the happy birthday labrego thread where Bigwebmaster gave a quick explaination of how that works. Both of the posts in question here show Bigwebmaster also posted from the address.

1/7 posts I can't account for with certainty. this one. When I lookup the IP it traces back to "***.opera-mini.net". Given I regularly use Opera and that the theme of that thread is mobile providers, I _might_ have posted it from my phone or using an Opera-mini emulator after the thread inspired me to tinker with something. I replied to the same thread using my current address shortly afterwards.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me it sounds like the odds are in the favor that your ip address hasn't change then from your home. My ip address seems to change every few months.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked at my Internet bill, thinking maybe I inadvertently signed up for a static IP and have been getting charged for it without realizing it all these years, I don't see anything on the bill about such a thing though.

It's strange, I've even been using a new modem for the last month or so. I've gone through multiple computers. The only thing that hasn't changed is my router between the modem/computers and my Internet plan.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before I moved to WV, I had the same IP address with Comcast for almost four years. I haven't checked but I am pretty sure I have had the same IP since I have moved two years ago.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't had nearly as many as I would have assumed I would have. At work, it's always the same because it's static.

At home, it does look like it's changed from time to time but not significantly
  • Wicked_Goddess
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mine's just changed recently.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow.

I've had the same address for years, and just within the last 30 minutes I've had 3 different addresses when I had to release/renew on my router to get my connection working.

Spooky ! :shock:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts