How to make an IP public?

• webspace
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Knappa, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok this is gonna seem like a complete newb question. How do I set a public IP. I have already set up apahe2 and it works but I can't access the www from anywhere but the system it's installed on.

I'm assuming there's an easy way to find the router's IP address and log in. I can't seem to find it. Router is a netgear on lease from my ISP Charter Communications.

I can do this in linux mint or ubuntu or windows xp or 7 any suggestions would be pretty awesome. Yes I've tried Googling this and I can't find solutions that work.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Charter blocks incoming traffic on port 80(the port Apache runs on). You can change it to run on a different port, but Charter will suspend your account should you be caught. Easiest way around this would be to shell out a few bucks a month for a cheap shared hosting option.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

well to my it sounds like you are trying to find the IP address to what is assigned to you via your ISP? If so then http://www.whatismyipaddress.com If nothing is coming up check and make sure that your ports are foward. Also check it via a different connection IE: friends computer/smart phone.
  • carrietrudell12
  • Born
  • Born
  • carrietrudell12

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can assign a public ip to your server using port forwarding.
What you need to do is forward the ports to the server that you want public. IE if you are using the server for hosting a website, ftp server, mail etc, you will have to forward the related ports to the server.
  • webspace
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Knappa, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got it. Access router and set the port forwarding via 192.168.0.1 or whatever your local IP address of your router is and use whatever username and password. Then use the web interface to to set port forwarding options. Pretty straight forward once you actually know what to do.

One: Look up your router and figure out what IP to connect to with your web browser.

Two: Login with whatever credentials you have. Most home routers have a default username and password.

Three: Navigate to the page where you set the permissions and port forwarding stuff and set it for the IP address of the machine you want to usen as a server. Easy as pie.

On a personal note. I talked to the people at Charter and they said it was ok to set it up for personal use but if I was going to host a website or something like that I need to up business account.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts