• Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

3 desktops and 4 laptops :)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to have a lot, now I am down to one functional laptop. At one time we had three laptops, two desktops, and a server.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol if i put the spare parts togeather i could make 2 more hahahaha :)

i got down to 1 laptop as well few years back and then went nuts and now too many to use.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just 2. One laptop (windows) and one stationary (Linux).
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

used to have 3 desktops 2 laptops and enough parts to build many more now i run one laptop and it does pretty much every thing i need to these days. if i need more screen space it has a HD out put to my TV so does me...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

2 servers, 4 working PC's 2 dead ones, 3 functional laptops, 2 dead ones, and a partridge in a pear tree...
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

2 desktops, 1 laptop, 8 working servers, 7 part servers, i am sure i am missing some....
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just built a new PC, which brings me up to 3. The other two include a Lenovo ThinkPad and a Nexus 7 tablet.

In a few weeks I'll be adding a Microsoft Surface to the mix.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

My goal here soon is to build a superbeast desktop and run virtualization on it. I built a crazy desktop with 64GB of RAM and enough power to choke a horse for roughly 3 grand at one website, just need to convince the wife it is an investment. I'll probably end up having to buy a new laptop here soon as well.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

$3k? What kind of components are you putting in there? The machine I just built came out to ~$1100, and I've got a quad core i7 and 32GB of RAM.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was from some gaming rig build site. It also had liquid cooling and some SSDs. It was quite silly.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, yeah liquid cooling would explain it. I use an SSD for my boot/OS drive and HDDs for everything else. I'm actually surprised at how much SSDs have come down in price since I last did a build.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
My goal here soon is to build a superbeast desktop and run virtualization on it. I built a crazy desktop with 64GB of RAM and enough power to choke a horse for roughly 3 grand at one website, just need to convince the wife it is an investment. I'll probably end up having to buy a new laptop here soon as well.

Curious how you were going to work that so it meets VMWARE 5 compatibility.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who said I would use VMWare? Compatibility issues can be worked out. There are people out there who have built similar machines and use VMWare, I'd definitely have to do the research on various components if I were to decide on VMWare. Hyper-V and XenServer are capable hypervisors that would allow me to do a lot, although VMWare would be ideal considering their market share.

My dream setup though is downright ridiculous and would require me to win the lottery. Although when I was researching home based labs about a month ago I stumbled across a guy who pretty much has his own datacenter in his garage. The cost of the hardware had to have been astronomical. The storage alone the guy was running had to be in the 6 figure range.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Impressive... I'd love to have that kind of set up to play with. We manage a lot of clients who run virtual and I can tell you from experience that Hyper-V sucks. Running VM's on the host machine has complications to say the least. For starters you can't install an anti-virus on the host machine. For example, we had a new client running hyper-v. By contract we installed Trend Micro Worry Free Business AV on all the servers including the host machines. Guess what Trend did. It saw the VM's as a virus and quarantined them all...!!!
Windows updates are problematic and have to be timed, because when you update the host machine, all the VM's go down with it... Those are just a couple of the problems we ran into.
  • ROiBOT
  • Born
  • Born
  • ROiBOT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't throw them away. About 4 broken laptop, 2 broken desktop.
2 old desktops configured as linux servers. 3 working Windows 7 desktops. 1 mac book. 1 samsung notebook. And a few more if I looked :)
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Who said I would use VMWare? Compatibility issues can be worked out. There are people out there who have built similar machines and use VMWare, I'd definitely have to do the research on various components if I were to decide on VMWare. Hyper-V and XenServer are capable hypervisors that would allow me to do a lot, although VMWare would be ideal considering their market share.

My dream setup though is downright ridiculous and would require me to win the lottery. Although when I was researching home based labs about a month ago I stumbled across a guy who pretty much has his own datacenter in his garage. The cost of the hardware had to have been astronomical. The storage alone the guy was running had to be in the 6 figure range.

I've been running a home 'datacenter' for a couple years now. I buy the computers bulk on eBay(used servers), and dump new hard drives in them. If you watch around this time of the year you can pickup hard drives extremely cheap, so I usually buy a bunch and store them. Right now I've got 2 blade racks powered on, each with 16 blades in it. Each blade is 4x 3.2ghz Intel xeon quad core processors, 32gb ram, 2x 15k RPM 300gb HDD(OS), and 4x 1 or 2TB HDD(Storage). There are various other blades and rack servers out there, but none of them are in use. I use the servers for testing any of our products or builds, and the rest of the CPU time is donated to various charities.

As far as computers in the house, I've got a Mac Pro desktop(2x 2.66ghz 6 core Xeon's, 1x 512GB SSD(OS drive), 3x 2TB HDD(Storage), 2x ATI 5770's and 64GB RAM), and a PC(i7 3960 3.6ghz 6 core, 240GB SSD(OS drive), 4x 2TB HDD(Storage), 3x Nvidia GTX 680 4GB, 64GB RAM), a MacBook Air and a Gateway laptop.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

dang Poly you've come a long way!!!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which version of Hyper-V ATNO? The version shipped with 2012 Server seems to be a serious contender. I haven't had much time to play with it since my current employer is strictly VMware and I don't have a lab to play with.

I officially hate you poly. I would love to have a blade setup with that kind of hardware. The possibilities are endless there. At work we use HP C7000s. Each blade has 192GB of RAM but small 15k RPM drives. Of course these chassis are supporting roughly 4k virtual desktops and some infrastructure VMs such as SQL.

Off to eBay to see what I can find.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Which version of Hyper-V ATNO?
2008 server. I haven't had much chance to mess with 2012 yet.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out this blog

http://workinghardinit.wordpress.com/

The new Hyper-V is impressive from what this guy posts. At times I wonder if he is paid by Microsoft though. He definitely drank the kool-aid.
  • kemcar031
  • kemcar031

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I have only one laptop with me which I bought recently and am not planning to buy anymore for atleast 2 years.
  • vitalatwdl
  • vitalatwdl

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 1 server, 1 PC, 1 laptop.
  • dororai
  • Born
  • Born
  • dororai

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would have had 3 if one of my laptops hadn't been stolen last month.
Now I am stuck with my laptop (a 15 inch Acer powered by an i5) and an older dual core desktop PC (which I barely use).
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Which version of Hyper-V ATNO? The version shipped with 2012 Server seems to be a serious contender. I haven't had much time to play with it since my current employer is strictly VMware and I don't have a lab to play with.

I officially hate you poly. I would love to have a blade setup with that kind of hardware. The possibilities are endless there. At work we use HP C7000s. Each blade has 192GB of RAM but small 15k RPM drives. Of course these chassis are supporting roughly 4k virtual desktops and some infrastructure VMs such as SQL.

Off to eBay to see what I can find.

I'd love to upgrade the RAM in my blades, but just not feasible right now. No reason for me to have it for my company(running our tests at most use 2 blades), and I can't justify the cost just for donated CPU time right now.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got to thinking about what I could do with a 16 blade system and a decent NAS. I found a C7000 on eBay with 16 blades that has 16GB of RAM each for 5 grand which I guess isn't too bad of a price. The blades could go up to 64GB though.

My main issue is I run into problems getting relevant training from my employers. If I had a home lab like that I could do so much.

If you ever want to get rid of one of your blade systems let me know.
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

Working I have 4 laptops and 2 Desktops. Not working or parts computer as I call them 3 desktops and 2 laptops.
  • DomainMagnate
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • DomainMagnate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have 2 pcs, 3 active laptops, 2 old laptops and an ipad at home. Did I win? :)
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

2 desktops and 3 laptops
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information