how many visitors do sites have?

• dsok
  • Born
  • Born
  • dsok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello All!

Could anybody please help me to find out how many visitors does "the average site" have per day?

I understand that there is no such thing as "the average site". So for any volume of traffic I would like to know which share of sites has such traffic.

Any ideas or references would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniil
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

"total web traffic" / "number of web sites"

yeah, that information simply doesn't exist. there is no average site...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, there is no "average site" like rjm says..

But, given the amount of sites out there that are just so crap that search engines never see them, and people who do happen to accidentally find them never go back, I'd say the average number of hits (total traffic / number of sites) is probly only about half a dozen hits/day - when you consider a global average of public sites. Sure, Google gets like 300 million hits/day or whatever, but there's also more than 300 million sites out there getting no hits/day.
  • myemailaccount
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • myemailaccount
  • Loc: North of Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are downloads you can get to count how many visitors you have at your website
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.reinvigorate.net/system/ is a good way to count visitors.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends how high traffic you think your site will get, I'd say if it's a personal site, 15-30 hits a day, if it's an informational site you could be looking at hundreds if not thousands (Axe's gets about 4k if I am correct). Why are you curious as to the average, that might give us some *direction*.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, my site was getting around 4K/day at the beginning of January, but due to some changes on the site to help with Google a little more - Well, that and remembering to update the site with recent news, hehe - now it's getting around 5-6K/day, with some days reaching 7 or 8,000 page views - at least as far as PostNuke's built-in stats goes...

Just for some reference, here's the totals for January according to the apache log & AWStats...

Unique Visitors : 17740
Number of Visits : 34206 (1.92 Visits/user)
Pages : 542557 (15.86 Pages/visit)
Hits : 2041723 (59.68 Hits/visit)
Bandwidth : 10.35Gig (317.27KB/visit)

So far this month, according to AWStats, for Feb 1st-3rd...

Feb 1st : 1072 Visits, 27115 Page Views, 96150 Hits, 453.71Meg bandwidth
Feb 2nd : 1288 Visits, 23527 Page Views, 86183 Hits, 439.37Meg bandwidth
Feb 3rd : 1175 Visits, 22410 Page Views, 84310 Hits, 436.82Meg bandwidth

I've got a lot of content I need to get on the site (at least another 200-300 pages of articles n' stuff), as well as all the regular site goings on that'll get added (news postings, forum posts, article comments, etc).

Content (masses of it, and quality) is definitely one of the keys to getting the higher placements in search engines - and hence more visitors.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice post axe.
I'm just wondering if some out there recognize that the outstanding number of hits you have doesn't hold relevence to the number of unique visits. Every time I read something similar, folks are concerned about how many "hits" they get. I'm just wondering if everyone here understands that the "hits" include every "file" (including graphics) that gets loaded when the page is accessed?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only go by unique visits however include total hits just for reference :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly, hits isn't what's important. Any site can get over a million hits a month, just have lots and lots of 1K images on the page, heh.

I go by unique visitors, as well as visits (I like to know whether more new people are finding the site, or whether it's the same visitors just coming back more often), as well as the page views.

The bandwidth is handy because it helps to estimate if I ever need to up the limit on my account.

But actual total hits, is really useless - it can easily be made very high, even if you're only getting a hundred visitors a day.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:

I go by unique visitors, as well as visits (I like to know whether more new people are finding the site, or whether it's the same visitors just coming back more often), as well as the page views.

The bandwidth is handy because it helps to estimate if I ever need to up the limit on my account.

But actual total hits, is really useless - it can easily be made very high, even if you're only getting a hundred visitors a day.

Yep -- precisely what I think.
  • dsok
  • Born
  • Born
  • dsok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot.

I am interested to know about the statistics of sites traffic because we are now developing the website visitor tracking system.

So, I am concerned that we may face some performance problems. I have to decide what is the biggest site that we have to serve.

Thanks again for your replies...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

dsok wrote:
I have to decide what is the biggest site that we have to serve.

Thanks again for your replies...

That's complicated. I'm sure you've tried the standard aproaches --- Googling this / Googling that.

You've given a lot of generic stuff...but why "I am concerned that we may face some performance problems"?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you can always do, is aim it at the lower end sites.

Offer it as free for under say, 1,000 hits/day (just pulling a figure out of the air, but you get the idea). That way, you can help weed out any of the problems while it's not so mission-critical. Then as the bugs disappear, things get more advanced, and it can handle a heavy load, if you're going to charge, you can justify it - although, it'd have to be pretty darn good stats for people to pay. :)
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unique visitors is a good thing, but I go for page views. Page views = More Banner rotations = More money from advertisers. I do keep track of how many unique visitors I get and check it with page views to track how many pageviews per day each user is looking at (approx.). The more pages each person is looking at, the better job I feel I'm doing.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Counting sheep is extremely hard on our web site.

We have ten thousand PDF files created by various Acrobat versions as well as other programs. Some support per page downloads, other don't. Now our server logs sometimes record a single hit for a 25 page document, and other times it records 25 hits for a 25 page document. Ahhh!

Then we added a reverse proxy...

Then some professor decided to get famous by writing an article "province's internet privacy protocols half-baked" and accuse our cookies as being a privacy/security concern. Now we don't put random numbers in cookies for traffic analysis. :moron:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts