how many website are there

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

how many website are there? is there a number or is there just to many?
  • ssj4trunks09
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Impossible to count
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know cowkiller, go count 'em, then come back when you have an answer ;)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

well to give you some sort of idea, google has 4.28 billion pages in it's database. So i'd say somewhere around there. If you are looking for something like a whole site, since google does pages, I have no idea, you'd have to look at domains.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i will start counting
i was looking on the net and i see over 2 billion in 2000
that is a lot of sites there must be somewere with a number
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

1 To Infinity....... :D

just kidding
  • eCommando
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eCommando
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think a lot more than what's in google. There are many pages that are not in the google index.
  • myemailaccount
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • myemailaccount
  • Loc: North of Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This question is kind of like asking how many grains of sand there are on Laguna Beach. Even if they could be counted (which given computers they probably could be), but, who'd want to and for what reason? This is possibly one of the most pointless questions I've ever heard asked in my entire life. Besides that, the number is not static. By the time you read this, the number will have changed. And if you refresh your browser, it will have changed again.
  • ssj4trunks09
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point, but if you type a in google you will have alot of websites pop-up and try putting and..and stuff like you, is...etc. the basic stuff
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem is the terminology. If you type "a" in google - that yields 3,470,000,000 results. If you type in "www" - that yields 1,830,000,000 results. (and according to google, both those numbers are approx.)

The problem is, that those are simply indexable pages, not websites. Since the number of pages per website is not a given, it is impossible to determine how many websites there are based on search engine results.

However if someone were to ask CERN to do an analysis of the Root Servers (i.e. these - http://www.root-servers.org/), They may be able to come up with an approximate number of how many domain names are actually registered. However, just because a name is registered and points to a server, doesn't mean that name is being used as a web site. People buy names and hold them for resale or other purposes.

I hold to my premise that it's impossible to know.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

And domains can hold more than one website. Just look at Geoshi..umm.. Geocities :)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

or my domains ;)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

eCommando wrote:
I think a lot more than what's in google. There are many pages that are not in the google index.

strange. I just finished work on a site for a client, and we decided we would start on getting the site listed in google. That wasn't difficult, as it turned out. The site was already listed in google. I have no idea how it got there. He says he didn't submit it, and I certainly didn't. And as far as I know there are no links to it. How it got in there is a complete mistery to both of us.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google is a computer "bot" (i.e. robot for short -I think) a "spider" -- you don't have to do anything to get listed there -- they look for you. But you do have to do some work to get high placement and page rank with the context of your site. If all you do is type in your site name, it will almost always come up first or at least on the first page -- but if you type in a keyword from your content, that is another matter -- that's what the search engine forums here at OZZU are all about -- to assist with search engine optimization (SEO -- for those who are unfamiliar with the acronymn)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know THAT, but I just don't understand how a site can get indexed without any links to it and without anyone submitting it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It starts here: http://www.root-servers.org/

A link I posted about an hour ago in another topic.

Each of those Root Servers holds the domain names for the DNS servers they are responsible for. Each of those secondary servers hold the domain names for those they are responsible for, etc. It's a matter of starting at the top and going to the bottom.

It all starts at the top -- and those are the key backbone servers to the whole internet.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh ok. I saw that post. thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- Well,I guess I posted that in this topic, didn't I? goes to show where my brain is. Anyway, I guess everyone now knows the root servers to the internet? *lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts