•  
    Min Base Amount

How much to charge

• GeekySteve
  • Born
  • Born
  • GeekySteve

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this has been asked / answered before. However, I just would like current figures.

I have a project coming up:

* A redo of a website
* Some forms
* Mostly HTML5, CSS, JavaScript.
* Light graphics

While I have been at it a bit, I am not fast like pros would be.

I was debating which way would be fair to my client as well as to me.

How much should I charge:

By page and / or by the hour? This is in the US.

Thanks!

Steve
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would go buy hour if anything, but you need to be able to move fast tho or at least keep pace. really depends on the job and task really and what qualification too.
  • GeekySteve
  • Born
  • Born
  • GeekySteve

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
I would go buy hour if anything, but you need to be able to move fast tho or at least keep pace. really depends on the job and task really and what qualification too.

Ok, so how much per hour? If possible, give a range. I know HTML / CSS well.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well right now i am paying a Wordpress Developer who can do HTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL that is also trained in managing servers and SEO. Basically i give him a list i want done, return in a few days and pay him.

at $11.50/hour

So if your only providing HTML/CSS with not hard code then i would give them a even better rate as HTML and CSS are really standard.

Do you have any qualifications? From Uni, collage, each peice of paper increases your rate 5-10/hour depending what you know.

Like i said there is no one standard, if so then web design would be a more one priced system.
  • GeekySteve
  • Born
  • Born
  • GeekySteve

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a bachelor degree in I.T. Usually, when I do web development (.NET), I work as a consultant for a company.

I just don't know what web designers get.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

GeekySteve wrote:
I have a bachelor degree in I.T. Usually, when I do web development (.NET), I work as a consultant for a company.

I just don't know what web designers get.

What units in Web Design does it cover, like i am doing Web Design IV atm and it covers html css javascript and mysql as main units.

But really, web designers usually do a bulk job like the usual one i do is web site, cards, hosting, posters and that goes anywhere from 1500+ for a good week's work.

You can't calculate a price for everyone based on 1 unit. Do some research on marketing and what does your competition charge? have you done ur research?
  • sergeyL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sergeyL

Post 3+ Months Ago

certunly for hour! as it is more convinient. and will take 20$ not less, but it depends on the difficulty of work of course
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

sergeyL wrote:
certunly for hour! as it is more convinient. and will take 20$ not less, but it depends on the difficulty of work of course

this is going to be my last reply, tired of too many questions for such a simple answer. learn how to market your business and get out there, it seams that your fresh off the boat in IT and no clue what to do.
  • GeekySteve
  • Born
  • Born
  • GeekySteve

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
sergeyL wrote:

this is going to be my last reply, tired of too many questions for such a simple answer. learn how to market your business and get out there, it seams that your fresh off the boat in IT and no clue what to do.

Everyone does research differently. This is ***part of*** my research. And yes, I am kinda new to the business end of things.

thanks.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion it really depends on your experience and knowledge, how fast you are, communication skills and being able to understand what the client really wants, if you are good at problem solving, etc. I do a wide range from simple to complex web development and charge $150/hr. As you get more work and more experience you will be able to gauge what your demand is. That is typically how I determine my rates and how I have increased them over the years to the current rate I charge. If I get too much work I increase the rates for new clients until I get a nice balance between how many want me to do work for them at my rate, and while still having enough work for me to do. This has worked well for me as far as determining what I should be charging. Obviously if I am getting no work then I am charging too much, if I am getting way more work than I can handle my rates are too low. So I just try to find the right balance.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts