How much sleep do you get?

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just goofing off and found this polyphasic sleep thing on the internet, it is when you take your normal night time sleep and reduce it, then replace that time with a short nap. For example, instead of sleeping a full 8 hours a night you switch to 6 hours, then during the day you take a 20 or 30 minute nap (gaining an hour and a half of time awake each day). Some people are into it enough that every 6 hours they take a 30 minute nap, totalling 2 hours of sleep every 24 hours and they don't have any sleep deprivation once their bodies get adjusted to it. I normally only get around 7 hours or so of sleep each night, then end up dozing off on the couch in the evening so I was thinking I might do the nap thing on purpose and see if it really makes a difference. Does anybody else here do something similar to this?

It kind of makes sense if you compare it to food and eating. Like if you eat one big meal per day, you will probably be hungry and lacking energy later on in the day. So instead we eat 3 or 4 smaller meals per day and that keeps us going.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The waking process is not the most enjoyable. Why would I want to go through it twice a day?
  • victoriaphee
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • victoriaphee

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... I don't think I can do that. When I doze off, I will be asleep for at least an hour. I can't help it. lol!

Anyway, good luck and let us know the effect
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The week before last i was having no more than 3-4 hours sleep most nights of the week. This was for various reasons. It got to the stage where one of my bosses at work asked me on a couple of occaisions if i had been getting much sleep recently to which promptly replied "no".

This week i've caught up mainly due to having the week off work. If you had posted this topic a week ago then i would have given this a trial.

Infact, whenever i am working at 6 in the morn i'll give it a shot as usually the night before i'll be awake until midnight then wake up for work at around 4ish therfore having 4 hours.

Like victoriaphee, i doubt i could control it so i had a 30 minute nap though. If i fell asleep it would be for at least 1 hours...at least!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dream of a world where enough things are automated that everyone can wake up when they want to as long as they get their work for the day done because the automation takes care of the things that would normally require a human.

I bet that one simple thing would cut the worlds violent crime rate in half.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard of this before. A friend of mine tried it during one of his last terms at Uni. and he ended up sleeping for about 3-4 hours a day for like 2 months with an occassional all day sleepathon once every couple of weeks.

Seemed to work out well for him.
  • Himalayan
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depend on the habit and work field also. To maintain the good health a sufficient sleep is very necessary. The above mentioned strategy is good for completing a long task. I sleep for 6-7 hours.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get 4-5 hours a day. Been doing that for as long as I can remember.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first couple of weeks will probably be kind of rough, but once my body gets adjusted to it and gets use to the new schedule then it should work fine. I started it last night, instead of going to bed around 11 and getting up at 6:30 or 7:00 I went at midnight and got up at 6:30. I feel a little tired being shorted that hour, mostly just lacking motivation to get started working this morning.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
I get 4-5 hours a day. Been doing that for as long as I can remember.

I don't know how you do it. I get anything less than 6 on a regular basis and I'm just not functional.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It started once I joined the Marines. 9 years of that and you just get used to it. I wake up at 4 every day except the weekends. I try to be in bed by 11 every night.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My old boss was like that. He was a retired Marine and he always said he would go to bed around 10 or 11 and be up before 0500.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enough Sleep is very important. Lack of sleep might affect our performance for the day. I make sure that I get around 7 hours of sleep.
  • pood
  • pood

Post 3+ Months Ago

6-7, but to be fully refreshed, I need about 10
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

5 hours of sleep is all that's possible on a towboat.. the six hour shifts twice a day are hell. I honestly got more sleep in the military. At home, though, I sleep as much as possible :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to do the five hour thing. In fact I'd always wake up 5 hours after I went to sleep, no matter what time I went to bed, and without an alarm. For about the last 6 months I've been going to bed earlier and getting about 8 hours. Honestly, between the two I don't see much difference in the way I feel. Most likely with summer coming up I'm going to be reverting back to the five hour deal.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adjusting to this thing is harder than I had thought. I got my 6 hours the first night, but the following afternoon I didn't get my nap. I didn't feel tired or anything, so I figured I'd carry on and try 6 hours again the next night. I wound up hitting snooze on my alarm and instead of getting up at 6:30 I got up at 7:25 and left for work at 7:30, woops! Then last night I was tired so I went to bed at 10:00 and got up at almost 7:00 this morning. I don't think this is going to work after all.....
  • jscheyndel
  • jscheyndel

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get 6-7 hours a day. Been doing that for as long as I can remember.
  • ciprzx
  • Born
  • Born
  • ciprzx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get 7-8 hours/day :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My problem with the theory is I have no time for the nap. So when I go to 5 hours, that's all I get per day period.
  • awatson
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • awatson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Generally 5-6 hours of actual sleep, not counting time thinking about getting up and listening to the radio :)
  • AngelaE8654

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tried "power naps" in the past and they DO work. But usually when I am sleep deprived and need to keep going for a few more hours. I am not sure this would work for me on a daily basis.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Three hours sleep would be aewsome,

A frozen shoulder keeps me awake so I feel utterly drained some days. Apparently this complaint can take up to two years to right itself...

.....groans and rubs eyes.
  • arogyam
  • Born
  • Born
  • arogyam

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jenie0109 wrote:
Enough Sleep is very important. Lack of sleep might affect our performance for the day. I make sure that I get around 7 hours of sleep.

I agree with jenie.. A sleep of arround 7 to 8 hours is very important.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have not had more than 4 hours a night since 1990; back then I averaged far lower. 4 hours is actually a gain for me as of late.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
I have not had more than 4 hours a night since 1990; back then I averaged far lower. 4 hours is actually a gain for me as of late.

:shock:
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah anything less than 7 and ppl would NOT like me around my job b/c I would become (even more of a) jerk. :)
  • zplhelen
  • Born
  • Born
  • zplhelen

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need at least 10h sleep everyday.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

zplhelen wrote:
I need at least 10h sleep everyday.

wow.

It's 23:30 right now where i am and i am due to work in 6 and a half hours. I usually wake up at around 04:30 to allow time to clean and commute to work. So, if i hit the sack now i am looking at getting about 4 hours sleep tonight before i work tomorrow.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I slept a lot last night, but I was beat. I mowed my lawn for the first time...with a push mower...it took me just short of 5 hours. And I cut down a couple of dead trees and chopped them into smaller pieces, but I don't own a chainsaw so I used a tree saw and a hatchet. So I went to bed after 9 last night and got up at about 7:20 this morning, and I'm really sore today and can hardly move.

There's only a week and a half of school left, so then I'll be able to start working four 10 hour days instead of five 8 hour days, I think then it will be easier to make a set sleep schedule and get a more controlled experiment.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 40 posts