How much would you charge?

• kk125
  • kk125

Post 3+ Months Ago

My good friend has a very successful offline business. (For the purpose of this discussion, I'll say she makes and sells flags.) She is so good at what she does that she has a waiting list of people wanting to buy her items. She has a website, but only uses it to draw customers to her store. She knows very little about the internet, mostly because she has been too busy developing her business.

I recently suggested that she should write an ebook and instructional dvd and sell them online. She loves the idea, and wants me to handle her marketing, publicity, etc. Basically, I would do just about everything online, and she would pay for the film crew, make the dvd and write the book.
She wants me to name a percentage of the profits that I want for all my work, and that's my problem. I don't know how much I should say I want. My friend has spent years perfecting her techniques, and she wouldn't have much competition online because there aren't very many instructions available in her niche.

Does anyone know if there is a standard way of divvying up profits? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm, maybe 35 - 40 %

She should be happy if you get load of sales .
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are talking about a certain percentage of her web profits right?

Not the overall profits?

If that's the case, then you have to estimate how much time and effort you would be putting into the website and all of the work you would be doing to help her business grow online. Then based on the amount of work you're doing, make an estimation off that. I'd say 35% sounds about right, but it's something only you could decide and determine.
  • kk125
  • kk125

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you very much.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

if its overall profits you could do it on commision for every book you sell you make so much from it?
  • ehandbury
  • ehandbury

Post 3+ Months Ago

there are many factors:
- maybe there should be a scaled approach. Where the percentage is greater for smaller volumes but tails off for the higher volumes.
- your percentage should only be on new orders, since if the customer comes back its because of the quality of the product (which is her), and not the marketing (which is you).

You DEFINITELY need to write this up in a concise, logical manner so that both parties understand the responsibilities and expectations.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts