How much would you pay to see Billy Connolly?

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am in a very frustating situation, on one hand i am desperate to see Billy Connolly when he performs in Edinburgh in September (first time he's performed in his home land in about 3-4 years), but on the other hand i don't want to pay the extreme prices that the ticket touters have set them at.

Not entirely sure what they were selling for in the first place, but i've seen some for sale at around £85 which is without a doubt a nice markup for those who bought the ticket.

He's a very famous guy here and all over the world, so these tickets will always sell at a higher price regardless.

What are you're thoughts on touters?

I hate them, but they provide me with an opportunity (albeit expensive one) to see one of the funniest guys in the world perform down the road from my home. What to do, what to do....
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my time, I paid five american dollars to see the best bands & I could go on a weekly basis. My brother just paid 175 american dollars to see Paul McCartney. Was he out of his mind? I certainly couldn't afford that nor do I think he is worth that much.

These days I go to local clubs to see local people. I don't know what I would do if I wanted to see someone well known. Maybe you should treat yourself once or twice a year & that's it.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

The most I ever paid was $90 to see Disturbed and two other nobody bands that opened for them, and that was a freaking good show. Mudvayne and Static X and Dope next month is only $65, and Seether/Staind/3 Doors Down was only $60 if I remember correctly. There was a Godsmack show a while back near where I live that sold out in 3 minutes flat partly because the tickets only costs $40, but mostly because the stupid radio station had presale tickets long before they were officially available.

But other than that, I can't say I've actually ever even heard of Billy Connolly. If its something that you really want to do then just do it because if you don't you'll regret it big time.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh you should search for his stuff on YouTube.

He has been in several movies too like the last samurai where he played tom cruises aid. He was also the priest in the recent x files movie. Done a few other stuff too.

I was lead to believe he was pretty well known in America, I guess this isn't the case. Anyone else here heard of him?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know who he is but didn't recognize the name.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

then u know what to do.... buy the tickets before they sell out!
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tickets already sold out, so i'd have to buy from touter.

If they are going for the price i was seeing the other week when i get paid in just over a weeks time then i'll purchase them.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
He's a very famous guy here and all over the world,

I thot Billy Connolly died in a bus accident years ago so this is good news, he was kind of funny. And quite a leftie to boot*. Anyway, I say the obvious and correct answer is NO, because you are just encouraging people to scoop up and re-sell tickets, which is why they are sold out -- those people don't give a damn, they just want money for nothing. Of course, if you are wealthy enough and believe in the trickle down, you could buy it and feel happy 1) that you are going, 2) that you helped out someone desperate enough to make money scalping. Here in NY/NJ, they have just passed a law limiting the amount you can mark a ticket up, which seems like a good solution: dude can hang around for an hour, sell his 10 tickets, and make $5 on each one. Fair?

ps. I say you stay home and rent "The Planet" instead, there's some heavy LOL in that.

@kc0tma: Disturbed is what am that their derivative drivel tricked anyone into paying that much. They are a "nobody" band. Did you check out Miley Cyrus at the same time? I hear she really knows how to rock hard! :D

*Probably why NO, he is not very well known in America at all, apart from a very brief period in the early or mid nineties, which most people have completely forgotten.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was a bit surprised because he does a few movies here and there nowadays. People may recognise him but just not know his name.

He used to live in LA, so i was assuming that he was doing stuff in America that was keeping is profile fairly high. But as you say mk27 his fame has probably died down a bit over the last few years which would coincide with him leaving the US.

Billy Connolly is very much alive. His humour is, well, vulger and rude to some which may be why he has not quite got a large fanbase in the US.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I would shuck out the dollars/pounds/yen to see Billy Connolly, gladly.

In my brain, I associate him with the era of British comedy that occured around and between Monty Python and The Young Ones. Since then he's matured as a performer. I love his dry sense of humor and timing. He was great as Uncle Monty and other similar film roles, too.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is why this guy is so funny.

Be warned that the video contains some foul language and contains toilet humour, literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvuHGtZU0w

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts