How do I NOT get my website stolen ?

• Lgame
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Lgame

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just purchased my web host package and domain name and received the customer id # and password. Now i am about to get the web design started and the person working on it wants my customer id and password to my account to do work on it. Can my website be stolen from me if i give him the information?

thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the programmer is not trustworthy he can... all he has to do is change the password.

But if you trust him/her and/or if there is a contract and if the programmer is well known, you shouldn't have a problem. The only thing I don't understand is why he/she needs the costumer id #, but that's probably because I'm a novice in this field. I'm not the best source for this :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you do not have another set of credentials that have a higher authority than the credentials someone wants, do not give them the credentials they request.

Newer designers/developers will often ask for your credentials so they can bypass checks and balances & get their job done quicker so they can get paid. It sounds like a good idea at first but speaking from experience, I wouldn't even give my own mother my most authorative credentials.

What you need to do is setup an FTP account for them with their name on it & their own password. They can make any file alterations they will need to make with this. It is essential that you create a site backup before giving them these details & make sure this backup is excluded from garbage collection or accidental deletion untill this person has produced something trustworthy enough for you to create another trusted backup with. Keep backups on a different system than the website is on.

You will likely also need to create a database user account for the person so they can manage databases. The same about backups also applies here.

Depending on the extent of your hosting package, & what the person is developing, those two things should be enough to get them going.
  • sonnyrizo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sonnyrizo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Follow joebert's instructions carefully. There's absolutely no reason this webmaster needs your information. Just create another account with fewer privileges than yours.
  • Lgame
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Lgame

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was told that the web host package that i have only allows me to have 1 ftp account, so im guessing we have to share that account..is that going to be okay?will he not be able to view or change my personal information?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are questioning this now, you need to learn more and skip this designer or get a designer you already trust. Joebert gave the best advice. Follow it.
//and perhaps consider a better web host? You should be able to create any FTP account you want if it's a decent one.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing you have a control panel you log into using your customer id & password, and through that you can alter website settings and change the password for an FTP account.

If that's the case, and the control panel & FTP account are not linked together using the same password somehow, then it may be safe to change the password on the FTP account and let them use it.

The key thing to remember, is not to give someone access to credentials you can not take control of with a more authorative set of credentials.

Your host is going to know best whether you have a set of credentials that outrank those of the FTP account.
  • MansoorHamid
  • Born
  • Born
  • MansoorHamid

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lgame wrote:
I just purchased my web host package and domain name and received the customer id # and password. Now i am about to get the web design started and the person working on it wants my customer id and password to my account to do work on it. Can my website be stolen from me if i give him the information?

thank you

Quote:
If you are not satisfied wtih your service provider dont give him. Also in professionalism you should have sign up a contract with him. :)

Mansoor Hamid
Social Media Marketing - 186604631.58912
http://www.widecircles.com
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most reputable hosts would return control of your account back over to you in the event that your "design guy" decides to play dirty pool.

BUT...contact them to verify that first.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had to call my host up once a couple of years ago. They asked me just about everything they learned about me when I signed up.

It's not a good habbit to get into, depending on your host to regain control, if you ask me.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, but as a last ditch attempt to gain control back, it can make the difference.
  • Staed
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess that always when people get their websites stolen it´s their own fault, don´t use same password for everything and don´t trust nobody and i am sure you will be safe.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

While it may take a degree of gullibility for a brand new site owner to trust a stranger with something as virtual as a web site account, blaming the victim rarely does much good.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts