How do people pay you ?

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking how if you are a freelance web designer do people pay you for what you have done?
I have people paying by check and bringing in the money by hand? IS this what most people do or what? :?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I won't lie, but i find payment by cheque as an outdated form of payment. Personally i'd be more keen on introducing the option to pay through Paypal (assuming the employer uses it themself) or other forms of direct payment.

By all means, nothing wrong with cheques. I would be unwilling to use it as a form of payment, but then i'm not a freelance designer and have never required payment for anything.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Money in hand gives you a chance to strengthen relationships that could use reenforcement.

Other than that, I'm with SB about Paypal. They make it really easy.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought about paypal but I was not sure how easy it would be to do its never the same amount of money twice. And don't paypal take some kind of % as payment? I don't know I don't use it much im not that big on ebay.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lot of people use Paypal & all those people have to do is send funds to your account through their browser at Paypal.com
For those without a Paypal account, they can also pay with a credit card if you take <5 minutes to generate a payment link for them.
I believe there's also an invoice system that will make it easy to email an invoice to your clients.

I don't pay much attention to what the fees are exactly, but I do a good deal of $21 USD transactions and the fee on those is roughly a dollar.
The fee on a $200 transaction was roughly 6 dollars. I tend to get checks for anything over that, though now that I have my Paypal account all verified and have a Paypal Debt card I try to skip the checks.

The fees are no worse than those imposed by your local check cashing place or Western Union.

As for eBay, I haven't even visited the site in years, I couldn't even tell you what color it is. lol
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok paypal then - had a look on there site and for the life of me can not work out with I need therse lots like pay now and add to cart and donate what one would I need? I have an account all set up and working.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing you're billing for services, so you'll probably want to use the Invoice service.

When you login it should have taken you to the "Account Overview" page, where there's multiple blue tabs at the top.

Click the "Request Money" tab and on the resulting page click the "Create an Invoice" link under the tabs.
It's pretty self explainitory from there, since this is your first invoice you'll pick "New Invoice" from the drop-down and fill out the resulting form.

You're likely going to want to bill for "Service" as the type, unless you're mailing off copies of created websites/etc through certified mail on DVD/CD.

After awhile it gets easier because you can save invoice templates and the contacts list will have the email addresses for everyone you've done business through via Paypal.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only really half-related here, but this might be worth checking out too. :D
general-discussion/some-basic-accounting-with-paypal-and-openoffice-org-t93303.html
  • blueberry62
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blueberry62

Post 3+ Months Ago

Paypal is normally the easiest. I have an issue with paypal as a consumer though! I have reached my 2000 dollar limit and if I want to charge anything else, I have to take out a paypal credit card. Otherwise, I have to attach my bank account to paypal. I think this is ridiculous!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's wrong with attaching a bank account ? :scratchhead:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
What's wrong with attaching a bank account ? :scratchhead:

Nothing wrong with this at all. Infact, i got 3 pence paid into my account by Paypal when i was linking the account to my bank account.

Been using paypal for the best part of 3-4 years now and never had any issues with any transactions and my account has always been secure.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I second that.
  • interactiveonline
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Tampa, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

We accept all major credit cards and paypal. We do accept checks but I'd agree with SB... I too find it an outdated form of payment... just think of all the trees we'd save :)
  • mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I generally use Paypal for getting payments from my clients. And that's really good and reliable.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get paid by direct deposits, but then those are all for people inside South-Africa, so they just do an internet funds transfer to my account.
  • paul8368
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • paul8368
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take paypal from overseas clients and direct bank to bank transfers within my own country. Then when I'm paying I tend to pay by paypal which is debited directly to my bank account or if its something bigger I use a credit card, assuming its accepted of course.

Paul
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

interactiveonline wrote:
We accept all major credit cards and paypal. We do accept checks but I'd agree with SB... I too find it an outdated form of payment... just think of all the trees we'd save :)

Yes and of course you don't have the checks having to clear! :wink:
  • Samuraii
  • Student
  • Student
  • Samuraii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I use paypal method of payment, because it is really easy.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow i learned a lot just by reading at your discussions.
  • nicholasmathew
  • Born
  • Born
  • nicholasmathew

Post 3+ Months Ago

Paypal is the best, but there are many other online resources that you can use like clickbank,ibill,propay and c2it etc.

mathew
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

All of my clients so far have paid with Check.

Because of this I canceled the credit card processing account I had, which was charging me $5/month and opted to just use Pay Pal if anybody wants to pay in any other way.

Then the company took $395 out of my account for an "account cancellation fee".....

Stick with cash/ checks / pay pal for now :D
  • metruetian
  • Born
  • Born
  • metruetian

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm a web manager we have some good website eg.http://www.wdtrade.com http://www.b2btrade4you.com our guests in this the direct exchange of bank cards
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Then the company took $395 out of my account for an "account cancellation fee".....

Ouch. Was it like a mobile/cell phone contract where it would have been cheaper to pay the basic monthly fee until the end of the contract, or was it one of those doomed for all eternity contracts ?

In mean for $5 a month, that would have to be one long contract.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was able to get my money back (at least most of it) but it was one through a company called Innovative something or other. Yeah, until you need to use something like that, just stick with Pay Pal.
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx
  • Loc: saint joseph, missouri

Post 3+ Months Ago

with money :D
  • rambo_unleashed
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive done a bit of freelance work for small businesses, some cheque payments some cash.

I prefer cash, although it does mean collecting the money in person, which helps build abit more of a relationship with the client.

I recieve cheques from more conservative clients, who dont like handling cash. Plus with cheques, they keep there money (and added interest, although probably not much) in the bank a little longer.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great question OP. I have been wondering what other people on here have done in regards to client payments for a while now but have always forgot to ask every time I logged on.

Good to see that other people are partial to Paypal, as I am myself. Never had a problem with it.
  • Pof
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Pof

Post 3+ Months Ago

They pay me with the help of paypal method of payment.
  • nickadam
  • Born
  • Born
  • nickadam

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I am Nick, new to this forum. Most of you, are agree with PayPal. It means that PayPal is the best way to transfer money, but to be honestly, i dont like PayPal. PayPal offer his services only for some certain countries. Few days before, i wanted to transfer some money to one of my Pakistani friend, but i come to know that PayPal do no offer his services in Pakistan.

Nick
  • potchie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • potchie

Post 3+ Months Ago

wester unin, or paypal.. i hate xoom..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago