How to set up IP phone at home?

• seraws
  • Born
  • Born
  • seraws

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I buy IP phone at home, how to connect the phone to my computer. I am the freshman about this. This SIP phone has 1wan and 1lan ports. And do I need to apply SIP service from SIP providers? Or I can use the phone directly once I configure it and connect it to network?
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

The ip phone system is only for intranet/vpn of your home network.
You need a digital to analog converter for all phone companies that I know of atm, none offer voip through them (would need major standardization).

Look at linux voip servers, some decent guides on getting a modem set up to do your dialing.
  • DonnaGirly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to interrupt you but what is IP phone??

Sorry but i'm all dumb newbie on this topic..

Help is appreciated :)
  • merena
  • Born
  • Born
  • merena

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
The ip phone system is only for intranet/vpn of your home network.
You need a digital to analog converter for all phone companies that I know of atm, none offer voip through them (would need major standardization).

Look at linux voip servers, some decent guides on getting a modem set up to do your dialing.

You'd need to either set up some sort of IP phone service yourself, like Asterisk, or subscribe to a service. Such services are available from many companies. I'm not sure who the best to use in Turkey would be, but two services I use that are good in Canada and the US are les.net and voip.ms. voip.ms also has gateways in the UK so might be a good choice for Europeans. (VoIP is very sensitive to latency so you want to use as close a provider as is reasonably practicable.)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts