How do I Stop IP.Board 2.3.5 Forum Spammers?

• CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Chicago, IL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Is there a thread or any other open information on how the protect your Forum from Spammers selling theirs goods? We use IP.Board 2.3.5, and suddenly spammers are attacking topics or creating new topics with ads and promotions.

Thanks,

cgfX
  • moniqu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • moniqu

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best way to prevent such spammers is to install a mod that requires a new user to type over some characters that are shown in a image. Or which asks for a question like: are you human?

A disadvantage of the image verification is that it might be hard for some people to find the text themselves. Another thing is that there are some very good OCR softwares out there which can still bypass it.

I even saw some forums asking you to solve a math problem before you can subscribe, though this will be even harder for some people :P.

Another thing, I just thought of, is to use a text-to-voice software and let it 'speak' a text string and send it to the user. I haven't seen this kind of system before though, and it will be hard to make but it will be a super protection.

But for easy solution I'd say image verification and perhaps add the "are you human?" like question too.
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

moniqu,

Thank you very much, excellent reply. I hope I can help you as well soon.

cgfX
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.captcha.biz/captchaform/form ... ptcha.html
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser,

Thank you, I will use this information in the future. I turns out that the company that powers the IP Boards/forums installed an updated version with a captcha to fight bots.

cgfX

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts