Voting Chart

Total votes : 62

Is it gray or grey?

  •  
    It is grey
  •  
    It is gray
  •  
    I thought it was greigh?!

How do you spell gray? Grey or gray?

  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 400
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
The correct spelling is...
It's one of them words, Like colour, That americans spell wrong.
Neither is WRONG, remember...when in Rome...

The one that always amused me was the spelling for Aluminum...the Brits (my home country :-]) call it Aluminium *lol*
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's because it's called aluminium.
It was originally aluminum but it was changed in 1812 to conform with the ium suffix that was given to other elements.

I believe any country that uses English, Should use it properly and as intended. It's a great language, So seeing it bastardised before my eyes does causes offence.

So when in Rome, Be polite. Speak and spell Italian correctly. :wink:
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 400
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
...I believe any country that uses English, Should use it properly and as intended. It's a great language, So seeing it bastardised before my eyes does causes offence.
One would think that there would be many more things in life that are far more deserving of your ire than how such a far off country "bastardizes" your home country's language. And my last trip to Manchester and Plymouth, had me witness many such examples of how even your own countrymen are quite adept at such verbal faux pas.

None of us are perfect, sir...but to take offense where none is intended is foolhardy and counter productive.


C.C.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the spoken language is subject to different rules. We have to take into account regional dialect, Trends and accents... The spoken differences add to language.

But with whatever part of the country you go to over here we all spell words the same, Even though the accents mean we say them differently. So there is no need to have multiple spellings of the same word if you claim to be speaking the same language.

What kind of person would i, A non French man be if i were to use French as my tongue, Change the spelling, And then claim i am correct?

I don't have anything in particular against other countries speaking English, Or even having it as their national language, More the merrier, But it would be nice if they were to use it correctly instead of trying to stamp ownership on it simply by leaving out a few letters.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 400
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me to be in England and state that the word "color" is spelt correctly, would be wrong, and would likely be offensive to some such as yourself.

For you to be in the United States or Canada and angrily state that both countries are guilty of bastardizing the english language would be just as offensive and inappropriate.

Whether you like it or not, there are specific differences in the way that our countries spell certain words, these "americanised" versions of words (as was already pointed out) are embedded into such things as html code, if you wish to take offense at such usage, feel free, but harbouring such anger is akin to p*ssing into the wind off the bow of a ship, silly and quite frankly...useless.

C.C.
  • YYphoto
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • YYphoto
  • Posts: 45

Post 3+ Months Ago

English is not my mother language, but i think the two words are different.

it seems Gray can be used as a surname, a verb

most of the time, i use grey.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
For me to be in England and state that the word "color" is spelt correctly, would be wrong, and would likely be offensive to some such as yourself.

So if it would be wrong for you to be in England and claim that the spelling of the English word colour was actually color, What makes it right in another country?
It's still the same language, It's still the same word.

Quote:
Whether you like it or not, there are specific differences in the way that our countries spell certain words, these "americanised" versions of words (as was already pointed out) are embedded into such things as html code, if you wish to take offense at such usage, feel free, but harbouring such anger is akin to p*ssing into the wind off the bow of a ship, silly and quite frankly...useless.

It would be very impracticle to change the spelling used in code now, So i am happy to let that slide, But browsers should also support the correct spelling of "colour".
I don't like that i am forced to spell my native language incorrectly when setting an HTML attribute.

If there was a reason for these incorrect spellings, There would be no problem, Language evolves and it improves, But there is no reason for missing out letters. It serves absolutely no purpose what so ever.

But if you feel writing an extra "u" is too much for you, Feel free to use another language.

There should be some kind of campagne in America run by Americans who want to celebrate the English language and it's traditional spelling. Surely there must be some Americans who believe the correct spelling of words in the English language are how they are spelt in England. There are probably even some academics who insist on spelling it "colour", That's something i could see some American academics doing.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Technically, phoenetically speaking, colour and color are pronounced differently. Maybe that's why Brits have accents? lol
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1573
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, I think this is a bit over the top to be honest. Please forgive us silly Americans and Canadians for changing a few minor details in the English language, but like Cold Canuck said:

Quote:
...if you wish to take offense at such usage, feel free, but harbouring such anger is akin to p*ssing into the wind off the bow of a ship, silly and quite frankly...useless.


I think that sums things up nicely. :)

Oh, and neat article Atno. Thanks!
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 400
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
lol, I think this is a bit over the top to be honest.
I tend to agree, this went far enough off topic to warrant putting an end to this line of conversation.

If we were talking about the benefits or lack thereof, of UK english over US/Can english, as it affects web design, I could see it's worth.

But in this context, simply talking to get one's face wet while at sea is a bit silly.

Regards, eh...


C.C.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it makes sense that most non-English wouldn't get it, It's not your language that is being changed with no good reason by people who have adopted it as their national tongue. But like i say, If you don't like the correct spelling of our language feel free to use another.

The bottom line is, It's not yours to change. The Australians don't do it, The Scots don't do it, 75 countries and 2 billion people use English as their national language, One in four people on the planet can speak it fluently, they seem to get on ok with the spelling, so what makes you so special?

It wouldn't be so bad if people would just admit that "color" is incorrect. If i had put "color" in my English A-level i would have lost marks.
Search "color" at askoxford.com and you get two suggestions, Colour and multicoloured.
So you have to ask yourself. If the people who document English words say it's wrong, The remaining 74 countries who use English say it's wrong, How right can it really be when you are the only ones who do it?
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 400
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
If i had put "color" in my English A-level i would have lost marks.
Funny...if you'd have put "colour" in place of "color" in any of the exams I took while living in Canaduh, or in the U.S, of Eh...you'd still be right.

I guess we're just a little less possessive about something that none of us owns, hmmm?


*psssssssssssss*
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
How do you spell gray? Grey or gray?

Call me crazy, but I kinda feel like I'm looking at the back of a textbook where all the answers are when I read that.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1615

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with meman 100%.

I think Cold Canuck is the 'one at sea' here :roll:
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 400
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

lionking wrote:
I agree with meman 100%.
I think Cold Canuck is the 'one at sea' here
Feel free to, but I'm not the one who is unreasonably making demands that two large countries change the way they write a dozen or so words, just to satisfy some archaic sense of ownership of a language.
And by his own admission, he is less angered by the actual use of these words as by the idea that they would be considered "correct".

Sorry, but there are far more important things in life to get bent about.

Regards,


C.C.
  • Moonfire
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moonfire
  • Posts: 127
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

This point might of already been made but most people in England don't speak the Queen's English so to me it is an irrelevant point wether you spell it colour or color, although I do kick myself when I write colour when I'm not doing webpages ;)
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't say it makes me angry, I just see it as a disrespectful way to treat something as great as the English language. We were nice enough to lend it to you, So you should be nice enough to look after it.

If there was justification for these changes it would be fine, But there is no justification and there is no reason.. So why do it?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
I wouldn't say it makes me angry, I just see it as a disrespectful way to treat something as great as the English language. We were nice enough to lend it to you, So you should be nice enough to look after it.

If there was justification for these changes it would be fine, But there is no justification and there is no reason.. So why do it?


Hey, we've been trying to give it back for ages, however, the people we originally borrowed it from have been dead for about the same length of time, making it kind of hard. Not to mention, thoose before us left no notes on how to give it back, or who it was ok to give it back to in the event of thoose whom it was borrowed from were not available.
To give it to you with nothing to go on but your word would be foolish & irresponsible of us now wouldn't it ? :D Might as well get some use out of it before it decays completely.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally i would quite like to see you guys speaking German, There is a widespread belief that German was the second choice when deciding what language the states would use as it's official national tongue...

But whatever language you decided to adopt as a replacement, All you have to do to give English back is stop using it... We will take it from there.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 400
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Personally i would quite like to see you guys speaking German, There is a widespread belief that German was the second choice when deciding what language the states would use as it's official national tongue...

But whatever language you decided to adopt as a replacement, All you have to do to give English back is stop using it... We will take it from there.

Sir, if it hadn't been for the United States and Canada's help during wartime, I truly believe that it is the population of dear old England who would have been the ones speaking german.

Please, do us the courtesy of dropping this while we are still speaking in a civilised manner.

I'm done with this non-topic.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9090
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
It would be very impracticle to change the spelling used in code now, So i am happy to let that slide, But browsers should also support the correct spelling of "colour".
I don't like that i am forced to spell my native language incorrectly when setting an HTML attribute.


Well the good thing about using color instead of colour with html is that it saves 1 byte. That translates into using less bandwidth :)
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

It makes me want to blow chunks every time i hear that "america saved the planet" nonsense.
America turned up late, contributed little and had a minimal effect on the outcome of the second world war.

In fact, the biggest effect america had on the second world war was financing Hitler through the Union Banking Corporation...
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
meman wrote:
It would be very impracticle to change the spelling used in code now, So i am happy to let that slide, But browsers should also support the correct spelling of "colour".
I don't like that i am forced to spell my native language incorrectly when setting an HTML attribute.


Well the good thing about using color instead of colour with html is that it saves 1 byte. That translates into using less bandwidth :)

Lol yes i guess that would have save a fair bit of bandwidth over time..
Perhaps the attribute should just be "c=r" instead of "color=red".
  • Moonfire
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moonfire
  • Posts: 127
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Sir, if it hadn't been for the United States and Canada's help during wartime, I truly believe that it is the population of dear old England who would have been the ones speaking german.


Bloody hell, now that's fighting talk if ever I heard it ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't mind meman. It's in his nature to be argumentative and bash Americans lol. (no offense bro, but it's the truth - you've displayed such ever since you arrived). Bottom line is meman loves an argument (Idid spell argument the American way, btw and the spellcheck didn't bother me about it lol)
  • draganta
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 55

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Gray is the American version, and Grey is the English version. For the most part gray seems to be used more than grey. The both mean the exact same thing though, and they are both correct, just different dialects.


another useful information there dude!
i choose grey, but honestly i think those two were just the same.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1573
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, this has been a very funny topic, to be honest. It would seem that people can take offense at anything, even something as trivial as this. I really did get a good laugh. Gracias seniors y senioras! Este bein para me education! :)
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1260
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I voted for greigh - he never gets any attention.

I actually always thought of it as "grey" mainly because every time I hear the word I think of the aliens, the Greys (don't ask - I live in my own world).

Anyway, if inflamable can mean non-flamable and there's such a word as viruses, I'm of the opinion we can give more color to grey - er greigh.

I suppose I should point out that I never use gray, grey or greigh in html, I use the hex code for which grey I want.
  • klorpet
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

An amusing read to say the least!

I certanily have a keen interest in the English lanuage and in etymology and as this thread has been going on for years I'll try and cover the main areas of discussion in one post. Apologies up front for any lack of brevity.

I think we can all agree "Gray" is commonly used in America and becoming more and more accepted elsewhere over time.

Language does change and adapt in terms of: Spelling, usage of words, meanings, introduction of new words, sentence structure and so on, and although we may not like some of these changes or the continued move to what I consider lazy spelling (leaving off letters for no other purpose than to make words easier to remember and spell), there is not much we can do about it.

Memam: If you want to start a movement to maintain formal spelling everywhere English is used, I'd be a proponent!

I do find it interesting that while adopting "gray" many people still tend to spell it "greyhound" (read a bus!).

Words become acceptable (and correct) when they are used commonly, published and referenced. The Oxford dictionary set the standard for how words enter the English language (many moons ago) and sadly "gray" has become acceptable and is referenced as an alternative spelling within my Oxford dictionary (published date 1994) and distributed in Australia.

I might also point out that English has adapted over the years incorporating words from numerous languages including but certainly not limited too: Latin, German and French. In fact when the word "blue" originally entered common English usage (since we're talking about colours) it was "bleu" which is the *correct* French spelling of the word and was in fact a spelling mistake by Chaucer that through popularity caught on.

Cold Canuck: Refer to the Canadian Government Style Manual! In fact the common spelling of the word in Canada is in fact "grey" and not "gray". This is a common misconception because so many people have been influenced by various sources: American television, printing and perhaps far more heavily by software and the internet (as pointed out by other posters). Just as here in Australia, in Canada many people also end up using the "American" style of spelling, often without even realizing. In basic terms this means that they were actually misspelling the word, though this confusion is certainly understandable with the prevalence of the Americanized version. I would hazard a guess that this very fact and the consequential usage of (what was originally) an incorrect spelling within formal publishing is one of the reason that the word moved into formal acceptance. Indeed you may well ask many of your friends and family and find them divided, but if not then its certainly true that language tends to change in some areas more quickly than others.

To be clear, gray was once incorrect just as blue was; over time it became more socially accepted as an alternate spelling (not just in America), began to be used in published writings and references and has now become formally accepted and has and will continue to make its way into all English dictionaries (over time) as an alternate spelling. Your dictionary or online reference may not pay "gray" its dues, but give it a few years and I assure you this will change. I fervently hope "gray" will never completely replace the original (and in my mind more accurate) version "grey"

Synopsis: For me; a vote for grey!

This post was intended to further the discussion and debate "waged" here thus far and was conducted in good humour. No offense or disrespect was intended or implied. :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really care how you spell it, in fact I'll write it whatever way your little heart desires, just tell me one thing, do you know WTF I'm talking about ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 107 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.