HTML 5 readiness

• dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

An nice interactive graphic that shows the browsers.

http://html5readiness.com/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

@font-face will help me greatly! I have a dual boot machine (loads up with either windows or linux at startup). I use firefox so I figure.... hey, my site will look the same no matter which OS I use, right????

Wrong. The font declarations in my CSS work fine with Windows, but since Ubuntu doesn't have those same fonts preloaded, my website looks funny.

Gonna start recoding the CSS now!
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even using the @font-face won't fix the problem. The exact same font rendered in the same browser on win/mac/linux will look different due to the ways each os approaches sizing, anti aliasing etc.

Also remember that when using @Font-Face you need to provide different versions of the font for each browser. IE being the main culprit (no surprise there) requiring its own type of font called EOT. But to get all browsers you'll also need an OTF, TTF and SVG version of the same font.

The only way your going to get everything to look the exact same across browsers/operating systems is to make an image and thats usually not practical. The better bet is to keep using normal css and stick with standard fonts in the stack or at least acceptable alternatives. @font-face is a great start, but its just not ready for those instances where you need things to look exactly the same across every platform.
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is great to know. Thanks graphixboy!
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem. I'd really love it if all the browsers and the spec teams would get on the same page with this stuff. I'm just itching to use a lot of it but can't for various reasons.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts