Hussein sentenced to death

• classified
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Bahrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
A combative Saddam Hussein was sentenced Sunday to death by hanging for his role in a brutal crackdown nearly 25 years ago in Dujail. A five-member tribunal met amid heavy security and sweeping curfews in Baghdad and elsewhere, as authorities braced for violent reactions.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/ ... index.html
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it going on pay-per-view ?

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm surprised he is being executed.. I thought we were supposed to be turning Iraq into a civilised democracy?

He is appealing though, And so he should, The trial was a farce, So it might not happen and even if it does it wont be for a number of years.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
The trial was a farce,

Wow that same sentence was just in an article I read. How original meman.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

He shouldn't be allowed a trial. This guy is evil and the sooner we get rid of him the better.

I understand how bland and unoriginal that previous statement was, but i really don't care. Assuming he killed a fraction of the people he was supposed to have killed then he deserves any punishment, and being hung (very harsh death i might add) would be nothing in comparison to all the pain and grief he would have caused people in Iraq over the years he dictated the country.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

He's gonna poop his pants in front of everybody :lol:
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
meman wrote:
The trial was a farce,

Wow that same sentence was just in an article I read. How original meman.

It's quite a common thing to say about trials that are farcical.
I could try inventing some new words for you, But i don't know how much of it you would understand.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

So the trail was a farce, we all knew his people were going to find him guilty no matter what, we knew the outcome before it started. So what's the big deal?
You of all people meman should be glad that someone who attempted genocide is to be put to death or do you believe that genocide is an acceptable practice?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just because i'm against the specific punishment doesn't mean i support the crime.

He should be punished. But killing people is always wrong, isn't it?
Or is it wrong when he does it and right when we do it?
Is it always right if you support the reason for the killing?

Executions aren't something that civilized people should do, It's damaging to society to have the government killing people.
  • gisele
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Nimes (France)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,
Hi david,
For Meman I think the question hasn't to be asked like that.
The pro-death penalty doesn’t have a corner on the struggle against genocides and mostly evil you must accept the fact that, for some people, Meman could be in a sense even more hostile than you to killing.

Everyone should have the right to give a sense or find a stake to this trial and I think you missed witch stake Meman was talking about.

This stake rises above the obvious question about what we should think about genocide.
And just thinking than Meman could deem acceptable Sadam practice it's like choosing the easy way to give oneself the beautiful role.
  • gisele
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Nimes (France)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry Meman, I hadn't seen your answer :-)
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

So meman if capital punishment is to brutal and would lower humanity down to where it would never recover, what punishment would be acceptable for a person like him
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
So meman if capital punishment is to brutal and would lower humanity down to where it would never recover, what punishment would be acceptable for a person like him

Life in prison.

What makes his killing worthy of execution and our killing worthy of praise?
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

So humanity should keep his life and cause alive due to the fact that his live is much more important than the people his decisions ended (1=2million that's fair)
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who said his life was more important? All life is equal. Which is why if it's wrong for him to kill it must also be wrong for us to kill.

You still havn't answered the question. At what point does killing people become "ok"?
Is it ok as long as you agree with the reason for the killing? I find it amazing that people can't see how hypocritical it is to say "what? He killed people? That's terrible! Let's kill him!"

Do you know how many people have died in Afganistan and Iraq sine we started our killing? I'll tell you, over 800,000 in 3 years.
What punishment should bush and blair recieve?
  • classified
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Who said his life was more important? All life is equal. Which is why if it's wrong for him to kill it must also be wrong for us to kill.

You still havn't answered the question. At what point does killing people become "ok"?
Is it ok as long as you agree with the reason for the killing? I find it amazing that people can't see how hypocritical it is to say "what? He killed people? That's terrible! Let's kill him!"

Do you know how many people have died in Afganistan and Iraq sine we started our killing? I'll tell you, over 800,000 in 3 years.
What punishment should bush and blair recieve?

some how you got a good point ...
but without the death penalty many crimes can go on for ever .
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman, I can't possibly think that your IQ is so low that you think bush and blair are trying to commit genocide and their acts of aggression ever came without warning. Do you believe that the prison system under Iraqi control could possibly detain your angel for the rest of his life? Maybe they should give him house arrest and let him face the people that he tried to exterminate on a daily basis and then magically see the wrongs of his ways. He could then plant flowers on each and every grave to make up for his alleged crimes. And when he is fully restored back to humanity he could go to your house and your new boyfriend and you could light candles together and solve the problems of the world. I underestimated you meman you single handedly could solve all of the worlds problems. Let him live.... let him live.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

over the span of 20 years, Hussein was responsible for the deaths of 200-250,000 civilians. Recently, a report was released, which I'm sure most of us here have come across, tallying an amazing figure -- the Iraq war has caused the deaths of nearly 600,000 civilians, resulting from both US and opposition forces. That number was under tremendous skepticism, a respected military official has already said the number is more like under 400,000 -- nevertheless, we want the death of one man responsible for the deaths of a nearly a quarter million, we who respresent a government responsible for the deaths of nearly a half a million...

He is a murderer, but aren't we (our country)?

I believe what meman is arguing is the basic principal surrounding such a thought.

Death by hanging? This is 2006, not the Salem witchtrials of 1692. His death really means nothing, considering the thousands of others our country is responsible for year after year... at least we can show we are more advanced than the 17th century by maybe cutting him in half with a laser beam... just a thought.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

mr_darek wrote:
Death by hanging? This is 2006, not the Salem witchtrials of 1692. His death really means nothing, considering the thousands of others our country is responsible for year after year... at least we can show we are more advanced than the 17th century by maybe cutting him in half with a laser beam... just a thought.

Didn't they dunk them in pools of water - sink or swim also they burned some of them. So hanging isn't a beautiful thing, it is public and that is what they may want. Most prisoners or criminals are sentenced to death after one count of murder, not over 250 thousand.
*gee if you have killed just one more human Mr.Hussien we would have ended your life, but instead you can live the rest of yours behind our jail. Oh yeah if you do escape or get freed please don't kill anyone anymore. Thankyou, Humanity*
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good stuff mr_darek

Dave, you seem to be oblivious to the amount of killing we have done. Is it ok to kill a quater of a million civilians, as long as they are killed in your name with your tax dollars?

Personally i don't see any difference between the way saddam killed and the way we are killing. Is it "ok" for children to die after breating in phosphorus?
It is ok to bomb a school and then say "oh *plum*, we thought they were terrorists".
Is it ok to shoot missiles in to a hospital then say "we heard there were terrorists there".

If killing is wrong it bhas to be wrong for everyone.

Of course, what saddam has done is bad, he is a bad bad man, But what we have done is also bad. but killing him isn't going to right any wrongs, and personally i don't see how justice can be served by having what is practicallly a state funded state ordered murder.

Civilized people do not kill people.
  • classified
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

they aint killing him ... i doubt it .

things will go from bad to CHAOS in Iraq .
i wont believe it until i see it !
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Most prisoners or criminals are sentenced to death after one count of murder, not over 250 thousand.

It's ALOT easier to oust someone that only has uncle Tom & their girlfriend backing them up.

Quote:
at least we can show we are more advanced than the 17th century by maybe cutting him in half with a laser beam

Maybe play some Pink Floyd in the background ?
Now THAT, would make for good pay-per-view.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mr_darek wrote:
Death by hanging? This is 2006, not the Salem witchtrials of 1692.

This is Iraq we are talking about, not the US, Canada or the UK. That is how they do things over there. I'll be anxiously awaiting the hanging video to pop up on the internet.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
I'll be anxiously awaiting the hanging video to pop up on the internet.

Pfft, I found it on Limewire two days ago, it's nothing special.
He looks like he lost weight in the video though, and maybe he changed his hair or somthing. :scratchhead:
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Civilized people do not kill people.

So Hussien can go around killing and for his defense he can say "I'm uncivilized it's ok for me to kill, just check civilized person's handbook. Hehe you can't kill me your to civilized to do so. Just lock me up, make sure you use one of those cheap locks, and give me my three squares bitches, I mean Sirs."

Oh yeah, I've paid over $3,500 a year in taxes for about fifteen years. So the answer to your previous questions is yes it is ok, it is ok with me. Next, you'll be telling me I'm uncivilzed, maybe I am.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So Hussien can go around killing and for his defense he can say "I'm uncivilized it's ok for me to kill, just check civilized person's handbook. Hehe you can't kill me your to civilized to do so. Just lock me up, make sure you use one of those cheap locks, and give me my three squares bitches, I mean Sirs."

It's no defence to say he is uncivilized. Which is why he should be in prison for ever. I'm not saying he didn't do anything wrong or that he should go free, I'm just saying it's not a good thing to kill people. It's not good when saddam does it, It's not good when a Iraqi court does it and it's not good when we do it.

I wonder, are you intentionally failing to grasp practically every point i am making as some kind of defence? To rephrase, are you playing dumb or is it genuine?

Quote:
Oh yeah, I've paid over $3,500 a year in taxes for about fifteen years. So the answer to your previous questions is yes it is ok, it is ok with me. Next, you'll be telling me I'm uncivilzed, maybe I am.

There is no maybe about it, You are uncivilized, and a coward.
To pay someone else to kill children, pay for the weapons they use to do it and then say you are "ok" with it, in my mind, is far worse than what saddam done.

You seem to want to kill saddam for killing, Which in it's self is about as backwards as it gets, and they you have the nerve to say you are ok with the killing your country is doing with your money... It basically boils down to one rule for them and another for us, right?
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unless they accept our rules , yep
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It basically boils down to one rule for them and another for us, right?

Aint non-global court systems a pain in the ass ?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
Unless they accept our rules , yep

What rules?
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

This one
meman wrote:
You seem to want to kill saddam for killing, Which in it's self is about as backwards as it gets, and they you have the nerve to say you are ok with the killing your country is doing with your money... It basically boils down to one rule for them and another for us, right?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The "do as we say not as we do" rule?
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

stop the inanity!

i can't believe how david murphy keeps equating opposition to the execution of saddam by a manufactured court as the only alternative to setting saddam free.

seen, there's a reason why the united states stood alone in having the trial occur in an iraqi tribunal. the rest of the world would have prefered to have seen a similar thing to the nuremburg trials (if they were good enough for the nazis, they should be good enough for saddam).

that reason has something to do with most of the rest of the world preferring to be more civilized, less cruel, more humane people and governments than the people they try.

it also has something to do with some stuff that's transpiring as we converse - most notably the pro-saddam protests going on throughout iraq and baghdad, the escalating sectarian violence in iraq and the condemnation of the ruling by everyone from the EU to the Vatican.

one thing i love about the US domestic propoganda, though, is the argument that, without his execution, saddam would magically manifest an army and run roughshod over the world. i mean, really, aside from charles taylor (who never really went to any jail), there hasn't been much of a record of a person convicted of war crimes going on to do much of anything.

on the bright side, jockeying for the execution of saddam is a great common ground between the u.s. and iran (just about the only other government that finds the death penalty to be appropriate) and maybe we can leverage it into a bright future, skipping hand-in-hand with ahmadenijad down poppy-flower fields in afganistan.

or something.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

roarmeow wrote:
i can't believe how david murphy keeps equating opposition to the execution of saddam by a manufactured court as the only alternative to setting saddam free.

You would probably hold a protest if someone wanted to kill a bug. This is the same thing, squash the *mother-peaching-bug* and be done with it. We live in a throw away society so what difference does it make if it is a killer or a paper plate. Or do you think we should stop throwing away paper plates also?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

up in canada, we recycle paper plates. we should lobotomize him and make him push carts in loblaws.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
roarmeow wrote:

You would probably hold a protest if someone wanted to kill a bug. This is the same thing, squash the *mother-peaching-bug* and be done with it. We live in a throw away society so what difference does it make if it is a killer or a paper plate. Or do you think we should stop throwing away paper plates also?

Paper plates? What the *peach* are you talking about?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

he's relating to today's "throw-away" society and equating [degenerate] humans to paper plates thereby implying that they should be thrown away like paper plates.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well one thing's for sure, he's better off where he is than having any of us get ahold of him.

I vote we don't kill him or lock him up for life, no, I vote we put him in one of thoose things, where your neck & wrists are clamped inbetween two pieces of wood & they put you in the middle of town & let people throw tomatoes at you, then just transport around the world & place him in the middle of every town for a few days, depending on town/city size.

How come only a single country gets to decide the fate of someone guilty of crimes against humanity ?
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

think.correctly wrote:
he's relating to today's "throw-away" society and equating [degenerate] humans to paper plates thereby implying that they should be thrown away like paper plates.

glad someone has a clue.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
think.correctly wrote:

glad someone has a clue.

Me too, Shame it isn't you though.. Going by some of the nonsense you come out with.

So, Humanity = throw away society, We throw away plates so that means we should kill people?
  • Nicks John
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Nicks John
  • Loc: CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Saddam need not be sentenced to Death,

If he is sentenced, then what about those who kill 6,00,000 people

in Afganistan
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Well one thing's for sure, he's better off where he is than having any of us get ahold of him.

I vote we don't kill him or lock him up for life, no, I vote we put him in one of thoose things, where your neck & wrists are clamped inbetween two pieces of wood & they put you in the middle of town & let people throw tomatoes at you, then just transport around the world & place him in the middle of every town for a few days, depending on town/city size.

How come only a single country gets to decide the fate of someone guilty of crimes against humanity ?

I agree 100%!

He should be tried in every single country that he took a life from. He should not be killed, it just defeats the purpose of making him suffer with his conscience for the rest of his life.

Killing someone like this, is giving them EXACTLY what they want.

I say let him have the rest of his worthless days to think about what he has done.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's not get into one of them pissing contests where we each try to think of a more barbaric punishment for someone who hasn't directly effected us.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy i dont *agree* with you, i was clarifying your statement. im not pro-capital punishment
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

think.correctly wrote:
david murphy i dont *agree* with you, i was clarifying your statement. im not pro-capital punishment

I didn't say you agreed, just that you understood. That is all.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Let's not get into one of them pissing contests where we each try to think of a more barbaric punishment for someone who hasn't directly effected us.

Saddam was found guilty of crimes against humanity, you tryin to say we aint human ? :?
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even in Islamic law, if he was found guilty (assuming it was a fair trial and strong evidence) the sentence will blood for blood. The sentence must be fair, if he was responsible in the killing of ppl, he then should be executed. Period.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
meman wrote:

Saddam was found guilty of crimes against humanity, you tryin to say we aint human ? :?

Well it is debatable. But i think they are using the word humanity as meaning characteristics of being human rather than meaning the entire human race. I can't see how killing a group of people in a small isolated part of Halabja is a crime against the human race as a whole.

Quote:
Even in Islamic law, if he was found guilty (assuming it was a fair trial and strong evidence) the sentence will blood for blood. The sentence must be fair, if he was responsible in the killing of ppl, he then should be executed. Period.

Does that extend to our leaders and their killing? Or just brown people with moustaches?
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what this means right ?

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Midterm Midtacular? No i don't know what it means.
I don't even think midtacular is a word at all.
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Quote:

Does that extend to our leaders and their killing? Or just brown people with moustaches?

From what I understand, islamic law mostly applied for Muslims and non-muslim who lives in a muslim country who implement islamic law will be charged to a different law. So here we have dualism existed in the country which cater for both Muslim and non-Muslim. That is allowed by the Quran. The Quran allows those who are not Muslims to practise the laws of their own religion and the laws which they choose for themselves.

So is it fair to have two sets of law for muslim and non-muslim? a muslim who involve in unmarried sexual intercouse can result in 100 whips / stoned to death (if already married) but a non-muslim jailed for 5 years for the same crime. It's quite complicated to explain this cos this involves with afterlife retribution. It is said that muslim who punished according to Islamic law is spared in the afterlife retribution which is God knows how harsh the punishment can be.

So back to the main question, brown man with a mustache you are categorising based on race and in my comment i do mention about muslim and non-muslim. So in this case, let's assume that the trial is fair and there is a strong evidance proving that Saddam is reponsible in the killing of ppl, so he should be punished according to the law of the country he was presecuted and same goes for any leaders who commit mass murder.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do muslims have to do with it?
He wasn't tried in an islamic court under Sharia law.
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm sorry for my ignorance. I thought he was on trial under the Sharia law. :oops:
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If he was they would have cut a finger off each day, poked his eyes out on day 13 and the finale would be him being thrown to a pack of dogs.... Then they would start the trial.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
If he was they would have cut a finger off each day, poked his eyes out on day 13 and the finale would be him being thrown to a pack of dogs.... Then they would start the trial.

So by executing him it would be considered cruel?
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:

From which Sharia are you referring to?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
meman wrote:

So by executing him it would be considered cruel?

The point was more of a stab at the backwardsnes and brutality of sharia law than an opinion on what i think would be good/cruel/bad/justified/expected
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

xfahmix wrote:
meman wrote:

From which Sharia are you referring to?

The kind of sharia law that does this and this. Don't watch the videos if you don't like reality.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

jb, i know this is a rhetorical question, but i want to answer it anyways!

simple answer: because the united states said so.

the coalition provisional authority (an occupying military power, made up of the u.s., the u.k. and their pals) formed the tribunal in the midst of the interntional community commenting that occupying forces should not establish judicial systems and that saddam, like other war criminals before him, should be tried in an international forum (as were the nazis, milosovec, etc.)

but international trials tend not to lead to execution, so the u.s. decided that it would be better to establish a tribunal, however illegal by international law, that could order an execution.

oh, and joebert, did that daily show banner actually appear on ozzu or did you photoshop that ish in there?
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
oh, and joebert, did that daily show banner actually appear on ozzu or did you photoshop that ish in there?

It was there, I about died laughing when I seen it so I had to share. :D
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who are those people in that advert and what do they do?
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

jon stewart and stephen colbert...

they have two comedy shows (the daily show and the colbert report, respectively), which lampoon tv news shows and politics...

pretty funny (and absurdly irreverent) stuff...
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't say I watch either show consistently, but I prefer stewart -- colbert is rather annoying.. I never did think his skits on the jon stewart show should've been extended into a full blown show... it was funnier in shorter segments
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't own a TV so i don't know if we see them here. I'll look on the internet for some footage of these people
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
I don't own a TV so i don't know if we see them here. I'll look on the internet for some footage of these people

I am starting to see how you come up with most of your nonsense also, or I could be wrong and your just a little to tight to spring for a telly.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

he comes up with all his "nonsense" from books and other [relatively] unbiased media such as newspapers and magazines, not politically controlled mass media.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

think.correctly wrote:
he comes up with all his "nonsense" from books and other [relatively] unbiased media such as newspapers and magazines, not politically controlled mass media.

Yup, that's where i get it from... I also get it from talk radio and online news (mostly the BBC).

To think that someone needs a TV that displays current event in the format of "funny men" on comedy central is absolutely hilarious. Maybe if you stopped watching comedy central and read a book or two dave you might be able to form an opinion of your own instead of regurgitating what someone else has said on the TV.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

From the Toronto Star [November 8, 2006 - Letters to the Editor]

Saddam is a product of American Policy
Re: U.S. calls Saddam verdict sign of maturity.

If justice was to have any meaningful credibility and democracy was to have any measure of maturity, the US government should have been tried together with Saddam Hussein because its hands were just as bloody as the dictator's hands. Saddam, like other thugs, was a product of America's foreign policy - created, nurtured and discarded in order to serve America's interests.

[Some Vietnamese guy - Toronto]
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

think.correctly wrote:
From the Toronto Star [November 8, 2006 - Letters to the Editor]

Saddam is a product of American Policy
Re: U.S. calls Saddam verdict sign of maturity.

If justice was to have any meaningful credibility and democracy was to have any measure of maturity, the US government should have been tried together with Saddam Hussein because its hands were just as bloody as the dictator's hands. Saddam, like other thugs, was a product of America's foreign policy - created, nurtured and discarded in order to serve America's interests.

[Some Vietnamese guy - Toronto]

So no expert, just some guy and his point of view, from Canada

I was reffering to you using the internet for your research meman. Instant information with a trace of validity.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

He's Vietnamese, He just lives in Canada.
So i guess he knows nothing about american foreign policy, Like their part in the Vietnam war, What with him being from Vietnam and all.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

on the u.s. involvement in bringing saddam hussein to power, here's a little primer...

check this wikipedia entry out for a brief summary of the western nations' support for saddam's regime during the iran-iraq war...

this is a more specific analysis, based on declassified documents, of the regan administration's support of his regime, even in light of his use of chemical weapons against iranians and kurds.

and, finally, but most illuminating, here's a pretty solid summary of what's been going on for the past 30-odd years courtesy of the global policy forum.

perhaps, no canadians or vietnamese people authored the above documents, but, in any case, they are pretty reliable sources and tell the same story of the u.s. support of the rise of saddam hussein as well as the maintenance of his power.

to be fair, though, it wasn't just the u.s., although we did play an overwhelmingly significant role in getting the man into power in the first place.

cheers,
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish to change my view, if we are to kill sadam hussein we must kill every leader for the last thirty years..... every leader...... every country
.....hang them ........hang them all
or :behead: or :brutal01: or :explodesmilie: each one works for me.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would just like to say....he deserves it....look how many inosent people he has killed....
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any word on when this is comming to Pay-Per-View yet ?
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Any word on when this is comming to Pay-Per-View yet ?

I think you'd be better off with Google Video. :wink:
  • good guy
  • good guy

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
I wish to change my view, if we are to kill sadam hussein we must kill every leader for the last thirty years..... every leader...... every country
.....hang them ........hang them all
or :behead: or :brutal01: or :explodesmilie: each one works for me.

Bush is doing worser things than Sadaam, Sadaam is leader that is choosen by Iraq people so why bother them, but NO american politician have to stick their nose into every hole in this planet.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

good guy wrote:
Sadaam is leader that is choosen by Iraq people

I hope you are joking.
If your not you should do some research.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Saddam was an elected leader of a sovereign nation. Regardless if you agree with what he done or the way politics works in that county he was elected to be leader by the Iraqi people.

So if a "coalition" kicks out an elected leader in a sovereign nation and puts in their own farcical "goverment", what do we call that?
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So if a "coalition" kicks out an elected leader in a sovereign nation and puts in their own farcical "goverment", what do we call that?

As American as Apple Pie ?
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

oops..
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

if we hate so much hussein for killing all those people (which is true and should spend the rest of his miserable life in prison) ...how come we don't hate, invade cuba and kill CASTRO ..? didn't he murder a lot of cubans also ? how come we didn't hate and kill PINOCHET ? didn't he kill thousands of chileans? how come we don't hate those little african countries rulers? don't they kill millions ?
answer: because they have no *plum* of oil ..!

why didn't american condemn irak when they killed the kurds, wasn't that in the 80's ?
answer: because he was our buddy trying to wipe out iran from the map, so if he killed a couple hundred thousand of kurds in the process...oh well, we all make mistakes.

i agree with meman, we are as guilty as that piece of *plum*, remember vietnam, we had no reason to be there and look the outcome in its population due to the bombs/chemicals.

the troops will always be supported, but not the rulers who send them to get killed for no reason.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The U.S. - given its current state of affairs within politics - will always remain driven according to special interests groups as long as it remains one of the worlds main powers.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this is the point of election when he first came into power.
Hussy gets elected
Quote:
He forced the ailing al-Bakr to resign on July 16, 1979, and formally assumed the presidency.

And for those who belive this is about Oil, it is true that we get Oil from Iraq, but we get more from Mexico and Canada. You don't see us attacking them do you?
And it would be a much easier fight ......both at the same time. :lol!: Granted it is much eaiser to go overseas start a war and export the black gold.

The reason Jr. picked a fight with "sad dam" comes down to the southern belief of "You beat my daddy, now I must beat you" complex.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did the ballot look like this ?

Quote:
Please select your choice for President

A) Shoot me in the face
B) Wipe my family tree off the face of the earth
C) Saddam Hussein
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Did the ballot look like this ?

Quote:
Please select your choice for President

A) Shoot me in the face
B) Wipe my family tree off the face of the earth
C) Saddam Hussein

It does some what.
The rest of the ballot looked like this
Quote:
D) Dead
E) Dead
F) Dead
G) Dead
H) Dead
I) Dead
J) Dead
K) Dead
L) Dead
M) Dead
N) Dead
O) Dead
P) Dead
Q) Dead
S) Dead
T) Dead
U) Dead
V) Dead
W) Dead
X) Dead
Y) Dead
Z) Dead
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

and now bush wants to send more troops, i'd wish he had a son who got drafted and sent there, most likely he'd be so stupid that he'd shoot himself.
if we worry so much about how presidents are elected in their countries why don't we invade north korea (they do have nukes) or cuba?
let's leave the rest of the planet alone.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
why don't we invade North Korea (they do have nukes) or Cuba?

Quote:
The United States, China, South Korea, Russia and Japan have tried to persuade North Korea for three years to end its nuclear programs in return for diplomatic and financial benefits.

There's 5 reasons, in no particular order, why North Korea isn't being invaded.

1) The United States
2) China
3) South Korea
4) Russia
5) Japan

Kim's not foolish, he knows that there's no chance of N.K. surviving a nuclear war.
He just likes all the attention & wants to see how much he can milk the U.N. for.

Castro's no threat, no reason to invade Cuba.
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

was saddam a threat after the 1991 sanctions?
bush said he was and so far we haven't found the famous nukes, that is why we invaded, we knew there were no nukes to be used against us.
the thing with north korea is that eventhough it is a economicly broken country, they do have nukes, so that is a dangerous toy that can be used against us.
why don't we persuade israel from getting rid of all its nukes?
too much bulliness.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would happen if North Korea managed to get a Nuke close enough to Japan to break up some land with a hefty earthquake ?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
I think this is the point of election when he first came into power.
Hussy gets elected
Quote:
He forced the ailing al-Bakr to resign on July 16, 1979, and formally assumed the presidency.

Welcome to politics... If we are going to criticize politics we have to start looking a lot closer to home. You guys have this (among other things) and we have Tony Blair deciding who gets to be PM after he quits. so to justify a war and an execution by pointing out that politics is corrupt makes no sense, We all know it's corrupt, It's corrupt everywhere.

The war was for WMD wasn't it? no, Wait. it was to free Iraq from a dictator. Hang on, What IS the official reason for the war? It seems to change based on what lies are exposed.

Quote:

And for those who belive this is about Oil, it is true that we get Oil from Iraq, but we get more from Mexico and Canada. You don't see us attacking them do you?
And it would be a much easier fight ......both at the same time. :lol!: Granted it is much eaiser to go overseas start a war and export the black gold.

Mexico and Canada pretty much do as they are told. For instance, They aren't threatening trade oil in euros and devalue the dollar.

This war makes me think of a crack head whos worried his dealer will stop selling him crack.
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman you should run for the presidency, you got my vote. as you said, it's all about world dominance and greediness.
why don't we talk about UFO's instead ? they don't seem to be interested in OIL, only in COWS for what i know, and we got plenty of that.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Welcome to politics... If we are going to criticize politics we have to start looking a lot closer to home. You guys have this (among other things) and we have Tony Blair deciding who gets to be PM after he quits. so to justify a war and an execution by pointing out that politics is corrupt makes no sense, We all know it's corrupt, It's corrupt everywhere.

The war was for WMD wasn't it? no, Wait. it was to free Iraq from a dictator. Hang on, What IS the official reason for the war? It seems to change based on what lies are exposed.

Hi meman, I checked out that site and find that the authors (Angry Girl and Bob Rowe) hold allot of credibility..........for being able to write HMTL. You can go anywhere and find stuff like what they put together. Heck you could find sites that still support Husseins' innocence from doing anything wrong. Tony is not really discussed much over here, but it's been so long since your country had a set the people don't know how to react.
And for the lies part, you have to excuse them a little most of them are old and forget what day it is.
There hasn't been a violent coup in the US as with the dictator/peasent sociteties.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Hi meman, I checked out that site and find that the authors (Angry Girl and Bob Rowe) hold allot of credibility..........for being able to write HMTL.

So they are liars and are making it all up? Perhaps you could point out what statments are untrue and we can look into it...

Quote:
You can go anywhere and find stuff like what they put together.

I don't see how being able to find "stuff like what they put together" in many places is supposed to discredit what they say. If anything the more common "stuff like what they put together" is, the more it supports what they are saying.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So they are liars and are making it all up? Perhaps you could point out what statments are untrue and we can look into it...

So what if people are related to each other. That's the way it is. Politics has become or gone back to having to be born in it or groomed for it. You could say the rich or do haves get the results and the poor or don't haves don't get them.

It has nothing to do with Saddam Hussein getting the noose. The only fact here is he's gonna poop his pants .
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
BAGHDAD, Dec. 26 -- Iraq's highest court upheld Saddam Hussein's death sentence Tuesday, opening the way for the former Iraqi president to be hanged within 30 days, Iraqi judicial officials said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00302.html

Quote:
In Mosul, college student Sardar Mohamad Hassan, 25, said Hussein should not be executed because he still faces charges of crimes against humanity in at least a dozen other cases.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm guessing thoose dozen other countries would reach the same verdict to hang his ass. Why delay the inevitable ? What if one of thoose other countries sentences him to life imprisonment ? Would that start a war over who gets to punish Saddam ?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The person who owns the diebold paperless voting system company is a Bush campaign organizer and donor.. chuck hagel, Republican Senator, Owns 35% of ES&S.

I find it frighteneing that you would assume for one second that the piece in that article that worries me is the relationships between people.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
The person who owns the diebold paperless voting system company is a Bush campaign organizer and donor.. chuck hagel, Republican Senator, Owns 35% of ES&S.

I find it frighteneing that you would assume for one second that the piece in that article that worries me is the relationships between people.

So what if the voting system is flawed...BFD. That is why they use a checks and balances system to determine. If the states with all of the people want something for the whole country, wouldn't you think that every state should have a choice? And whoever owns whatever company doesn't matter. Remember Bush wasn't the popular vote getter. If there was any conspiracy from the company in question, they failed mis·er·a·bly. He won due to the electoral college.

By the way this still has nothing to do with Hussein being hung and crapping his pants. lol.. I wonder if they will place a fan beneath him and when it happens the reporters can actually say "The Sh*t Hit The Fan This Morning"
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So what if the voting system is flawed...BFD.

If you can't see what the "BFD" about a flawed, potentially (probably) corrupt voting system is then there is no point even trying to explain it to you, I doubt you would be able to grasp it.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
So what if the voting system is flawed...BFD. That is why they use a checks and balances system to determine. If the states with all of the people want something for the whole country, wouldn't you think that every state should have a choice? And whoever owns whatever company doesn't matter. Remember Bush wasn't the popular vote getter. If there was any conspiracy from the company in question, they failed mis·er·a·bly. He won due to the electoral college.

By the way this still has nothing to do with Hussein being hung and crapping his pants. lol.. I wonder if they will place a fan beneath him and when it happens the reporters can actually say "The Sh*t Hit The Fan This Morning"

I fail to see how you can imply that the checks and balances system somehow 'fixes' or corrects a flawed voting system... it doesn't. Especially when that checks and balances system is run by whatever is the current majority, be it Republican or Democratic party - what do you think the differences will be determined by? Good will and honesty? Unlikely. Take a look a the electoral college system a bit closer - it is a system which sounds and looks good on paper, but having it applied, especially in recent elections, shows how much it has been taken advantage of in every possible method.

As I stated before, America is a country which is run by those with special interests - whatever those interests may be (oil, land, trade, government, etc..) - will influence decisions made in foreign policy. Enter the Middle-East.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Quote:

If you can't see what the "BFD" about a flawed, potentially (probably) corrupt voting system is then there is no point even trying to explain it to you, I doubt you would be able to grasp it.

The only thing I fail to grasp is why you keep going on about a totally off topic argument. If you want to argue about the United States political system start a new thread. I'm sure there will be plenty of people for you to argue with. Plus you do have a degree in Jack Squat when talking about the american voting system, so I can see the potential in post replies. Maybe you can enlighten the rest of us on how the voting system works or is run in Jolly ol England.

mr_darek is free to have his views. But if he doesn't vote or hasn't registered he will always be anti-government and find things that suck about our country. I know one vote doesn't matter but people shouldn't gripe if they didn't vote themselves. Hey but if you did vote keep bitching cause it's working :iconthumbright:
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the way what happend to that thirty day time frame?
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
By the way what happend to that thirty day time frame?

I think that was starting on or about the 26th of December. ;)
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ohh one last christmas gift. I see ..lol
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like they're on the ball.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/29/world ... r=homepage
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hallelujah!
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like he's a dead man.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16389128/

Damn, david murphy, you got some sort of magic 8-ball in front of you ? Wanna ask when I'm going to win the lottery while you're at it ?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
meman wrote:
Quote:

The only thing I fail to grasp is why you keep going on about a totally off topic argument. If you want to argue about the United States political system start a new thread. I'm sure there will be plenty of people for you to argue with. Plus you do have a degree in Jack Squat when talking about the american voting system, so I can see the potential in post replies.

I like how things become "offtopic" generally around the time you find yourself burried in your own ignorance. The thing is, dave, You seem to like to express opinions on matters that you evidently know nothing about, Then when people confuse you with trivial things like, Ya know, Facts and evidence, you have to run away screaming "offtopic! offtopic!" with your fingers in your ears.
david murphy wrote:
mr_darek is free to have his views.

That's nice of you to allow him to do that... He will be pleased.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Looks like he's a dead man.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16389128/

Damn, david murphy, you got some sort of magic 8-ball in front of you ? Wanna ask when I'm going to win the lottery while you're at it ?

That is a shame I wasn't even around to see the breaking news. No magic 8-ball joebert just some barbaric, cowardly, death wishing wisdom.
Oh yea you do have some luck coming your way and your gonna win fifty dollars. The only thing is you have to buy10 $10.00 scratch offs. :lol:

meman I must have been mistaken, you would never go off topic and I couldn't imagine where I would get that from.
meman wrote:
That's nice of you to allow him to do that... He will be pleased.

Again it's his choice, not mine, and definitely not yours.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any video coverage about the execution on the net?
I checked rotten.com and this is all Ifound.
  • black_cat
  • Born
  • Born
  • black_cat
  • Loc: europe

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I were Sadam, my last wish would be G.W.Bush hanging right beside me.
  • neverwalkalone
  • Born
  • Born
  • neverwalkalone

Post 3+ Months Ago

im sure a video will be leaked
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

CNN has a video of them putting the noose around his neck.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

david murphy wrote:
if he doesn't vote or hasn't registered he will always be anti-government and find things that suck about our country. I know one vote doesn't matter but people shouldn't gripe if they didn't vote themselves. Hey but if you did vote keep bitching cause it's working :iconthumbright:

So as long as I've voted - regardless of what the outcome is I have a more legitimate reason to criticize what I see as flaws? And if I did not vote, I have no right to criticize at all? Right.

Its the notion that any fools [or person, if you prefer] vote in a capitalistic society has any actual value that adds to pile of reasons the majority of America's population (that includes you) sits with the wool pulled over their eyes by people they'll never meet and don't even know exist.

Quote:
"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is now controlled by its system of credit. We are no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."
-- President Woodrow Wilson, 1919

http://www.freedomtofascism.com/ - maybe you can donate a buck or two and really do something to help your country - to make sure people are well informed.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

mr_darek wrote:
david murphy wrote:
if he doesn't vote or hasn't registered he will always be anti-government and find things that suck about our country. I know one vote doesn't matter but people shouldn't gripe if they didn't vote themselves. Hey but if you did vote keep bitching cause it's working :iconthumbright:

So as long as I've voted - regardless of what the outcome is I have a more legitimate reason to criticize what I see as flaws? And if I did not vote, I have no right to criticize at all? Right.

Its the notion that any fools [or person, if you prefer] vote in a capitalistic society has any actual value that adds to pile of reasons the majority of America's population (that includes you) sits with the wool pulled over their eyes by people they'll never meet and don't even know exist.

Quote:
"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is now controlled by its system of credit. We are no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."
-- President Woodrow Wilson, 1919

http://www.freedomtofascism.com/ - maybe you can donate a buck or two and really do something to help your country - to make sure people are well informed.

lol
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

Interesting videos on there mr_darek.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

they shouldnt have killed the poor guy, now the shiites are gonna make an atomic bomb out of ordinary household materials and blow us to smitherines.

ill tell ya what they should've done.....make a clone of the guy and feed him ideas to convince the shiites that the way they interpret the quran and the things they are doing is wrong!. voila
saddam was a genius, in all the negative ways, sorta like lex luthor.
  • carbonbloodflow
  • Born
  • Born
  • carbonbloodflow

Post 3+ Months Ago

would prefer life in prison
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

carbonbloodflow wrote:

Would you like to volunteer a few of your family members to guard that prison cell ? I guarentee it would have been a nerve racking job.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's over .....let it go
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
carbonbloodflow wrote:

Would you like to volunteer a few of your family members to guard that prison cell ? I guarentee it would have been a nerve racking job.

While it's true that putting saddam in a prison of sorts would have presented some serious security issues, I don't think executions should be used simply because alternatives are a bit of a headache.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you're volunteering meman ?
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
So you're volunteering meman ?

He's dead already. meman should have contacted them before Hanukkah was over.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's plenty of people on death row that meman can babysit untill the next Hussein comes around.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think they do it on a volunteer basis. Usually people apply to join the military police or apply to become a prison guard then work their way up the ranks to a position where they will be selected to guard high profile prisoners in high risk environments.

I also think it's good that we have people to collect rubbish.
Should i volunteer to collect rubbish on that basis? Of course not.
Should we execute people who create rubbish? Of course not.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I don't think

Obviously.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 125 posts