•  
    no

IBM making the same mistake twice ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember what has been called the biggest business mistake in history ? To jog your memory (and inform thoose who never knew) i'm refering to when IBM contracted Microsoft to create the Disk Operating System (DOS) yet instead of making the agreement exclusive between IBM and Microsoft IBM choose to pay a little less and allow Microsoft to sell the same code to anyone who wanted it basically costing IBM a TON of cash.

I'm wondering how many people see IBM moving to open source as making the same mistake twice.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, honestly I think that open-source will one day be the end of microsoft, specifically windows, so I really dont think that IBM is getting the bad end of the deal... but thats just my opinion :roll:
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

IBM's move to utilize the rapidly increasing public relations extravaganza that is, open source, is nothing but a boon to it's business.

Frankly, IBM was the first IT company (large scale), that embraced open source -- recall that a large number of the Apache developers are actually paid IBM employees.

IBM led the charge with respect to Linux as well; something you see common now amongst other firms such as Dell and HP were once the object of ridicule by said companies. It's tough leading the industry, rather than following it. :)

It only makes sense, given Linux's popularity, to continue the trend. Application ware will be targeted for linux production... systems will be built to tighter specifications... desktops will be more integrated with open source development.
And yes, despite prose to the contrary, it is much cheaper for companies to maintain a cluster of *nix boxen, vs their Microsoft counterparts -- especially if you employ large numbers of said systems.

Let's face it; IBM will always sell AIX for it's p-series boxes, and that's good, because it's stable and the hardware is solid. There will always be those that want redundancy, (read: inexpensive array of boxes) instead. For those, X-series with linux is a good option.

IMHO, IBM would be smart to embrace FreeBSD as well -- especially for embedded applications since the bsd license is more suited for corporate structuring -- that and it's better than linux. ;) Heh.

Cheers.
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just my two cents worth here...

You may find IBM using suse linux more than any other.

I base this on the fact that Novell's recent purchase of Suse linux, was with 50 million dollars of IBM's money!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point Troub. But I do believe that the "revolution" need's to start somewhere large scale. That somewhere is IBM, plain and simple.
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Novell and IBM have a good relationship.

Netware oroginally shipped with netscape we server.
Then IBM websphere.

Now they (Novell's netware) ship with apache.
I have mentioned it elsewhere in the forums, but Netware is now shipping in two flavours.

Netware utils on a Netware Kernel.
Netware utils on a SUSE linux kernel.

On the open source front, eDirectory (Novell's version of Active Directory - which appeared about 6 years before AD) has been available for various Unix flavours and linux for several years now too - so Netware has a pretty strong recent history of supporting open source.

I know crap on a lot about Netware, it's not that I am anti MS, either. I just strongly believe that Netware is a far superior server OS than windows. Let's face it they have about a ten year head start on MS in server OS technology.

The Novell / IBM relationship with SUSE linux will further strengthen the case for netware in the server room, over MS.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well yes, there is a shift to Suse from RH. (We just changed all of our infrastructure that's Linux).

The reasons though are many and varied. IBM is going with Enterprise level Linux, and while both offer such, Suse is more close to being up to date with what research is working with; RH enterprise is lagging behind. I don't think that has caused a reversal, per se, of IBM's commitment to RH... just a refinement.

Mistakes will be made, of that there can be no doubt. Any time you innovate and move the industry in a certain direction, you place yourself out of the edge, where there is always the chance to fall.
It's easy being a duplicator... it's much more difficult to be the innovator. ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts