Installing an Aftermarket Stereo Player

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have bought a Stereo thing (KD-G340) at Best Buy and want to replace the factory one that I have in my car. I have unhooked everything and taken the old factory stereo out. The only problem I have is finding the plug for the stereo wires to unplug and plug in the ones from the one I bought. Any help? I have a Ford Focus 2000.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Best Buy should have wiring adapters too. If not, I know that my local walmart has them, so you might check yours as well.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the adapters. I just can't find the place where to connect them. I bought the Chilton's book as some people recommended it here and looked at wiring diagrams but I didn't understand anything :lol:

I looked inside my dash board where the factory installed stereo was and didn't find anything there either. I tried to trace back to where the other wires are going but they go so far in that I can't see anything... and the adapter's wires aren't that long.

I guess I will go in some dealers tomorrow and have them install it :( Tried to save about 20 dollars :lol: I guess it's not worth my time.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't your Best Buy do car audio installations?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember the first time I installed my car sound ... it took a good two hours ... maybe evn a bit more ... and then some of the speakers weren't connected properly, so my sound could've been louder, not that it wasn't loud, it's just more clear and proper if it's done professionally because those people have done it a million times and know exactly what to do ... but then I didn't just add a radio (I think that's what you're doing) I installed the speakers (two 6x9 and 2 100w mids) and then my radio obviously.

I am rambling, anyway, I'd suggest letting a professional do it ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Best Buy does do Audio Installation but it would have being to days from tomorrow and I thought I'd try to save some cash.

I did let a "professional" do it... now when I listen to the radio the reception suckles and the volume goes up and down on it's own...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why don't you just test one line at a time and see which speaker makes noise?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you bought the correct wiring harness for your vehicle, the wires coming from the stock stereo should all merge into another harness somewhere in the dash. You plug your harness into that connector and attach the wires to the after market according to the wiring diagram.

Check this step by step install guide from Circuit City. I used to manage car stereo there and it's where I learned to install.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/-13 ... okLearn.do
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whoa! When I was young you spliced each one. :lol:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's how I've done it, soldering and heat shrinking all the wires and hoping it doesn't go up in smoke. But the newest car I have ever installed a stereo in was my 1990 nissan 240sx, so I imagine things are easier with newer cars.

//that car was sweet, but a piece of *plum* constantly needing repairs
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, you should have posted that earlier. I don't think he covered the connections with the caps. I mean the connections where he connected the adapter to the Stereo power connector.

I don't even know if he knew what he was doing other than the fact that I had a wrong adapter and it took him 10 minutes to find the right one.

I tried to remove the stereo harness and see what he done but this stereo didn't have the holes I remembered to stick my U shaped tool into.

I'm going back to their shop and check with them about this issue. Reception is bad too... the radio goes in and out (the volume thing) and hard to figure out what the person there is saying. It seems blocky if you know what I mean.

Thanks ATNO though. If I knew I had the wrong adapter I would have done it already. I came to pro-sound ... what a bad mistake :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts