Intel Looks Ahead To Pentium 5

• WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Intel Corp. looked ahead to the Pentium 5, Disclosing more details about the PCs and laptops of The Future.

In a keynote here, Louis Burns, vice-president of Intel Corp., disclosed the "Prescott" processor, the next microarchitectural revision in the Pentium line. The Prescott processor will be released in the second half of 2003 at an undisclosed clock speed. Burns did not refer to the core as the Pentium 5, although all of Intel's major core revisions have been rewarded with a change in the brand name.

Prescott will feature "extensions to the NetBurst architecture" that drives the Pentium 4 including new instructions as well as hyperthreading, the technology currently running on Intel's server processors that allow software to divvy up the hardware processes of a microprocessor. Prescott will be manufactured on the 90-nanometer (0.09-micron) manufacturing process.

"Craig (Barrett, Intel's chief executive) has told you that we always innovate during a downturn, and we'll continue to do that," Burns said.

Burns said Intel is committed to bringing the concept of "anytime, anywhere" to home computing. Under Intel's vision, the home PC would serve as a hub, allowing mobile users to connect back to the PC and access data. In the home, the PC would serve essentially as a sort of server, distributing data to display and compute devices such as televisions and PDAs.

However, the bulk of Burns' speech was devoted to improving the performance and form factor of the home PC, especially reducing its form factor as well as the acoustic noise. To help the industry down this path, Intel announced "Tidewater" and "Big Water", standardized platforms that are designed for next-generation PCs.

Tidewater is an extension of the microATX platform, Burns said, and is due to ship in April of this year in a 9-liter package. Big Water is a bit more aggressive, Burns said, based on the modular 3GIO architecture, and is based upon the modular architecture that will allow add-on cards to be inserted like game cartridges in video game consoles.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is impressive
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah. I hope my p2-300 can last till then. :lol:
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

dear god.. p2?
:shock:
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

no *plum*. p2 :lol: cannot open excessive windows, working within limits. :x
heheh. coz my AMd blew a few weeks ago.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

your p2 is faster then the computer I had to use for like a year or two, but I could still use photoshop, listen to music, play a few games, etc.

Anyways, I won't be able to afford one of these new chips for a long while, but how much faster do we need our computers to be?
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

that article is old the presscott is already out for sale. . . . its a P4 800 Mhz FSB and 1 meg l2 cache

check it here
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder how big the heat sync is going to be on the p5? You know it is going to take a beefy one.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well we definately know that there won't be a bottleneck from the processors, probably ever again. At least until pci express starts becoming a standard
  • SKATER
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

SecureITGroup wrote:
I wonder how big the heat sync is going to be on the p5? You know it is going to take a beefy one.

this is what I am running as of right now. although the fan speed is closer to 7500 rpm

Description: Vantec Copper CPU Cooler Socket 7/370/A(462)

Vantec's High Density Copper Heat Sink Design. Copper conducts heat faster than aluminum. CopperX heat sink has high density copper fins soldered to an all copper base. Unlike other heat sink fin designs, which have an empty zone to allow for the clip mechanism, CopperX heat sink has fins between the clip levers to increase the total surface area.

Vantec's Double Ball Bearing Fan for Extended Life. Bearing life is the main factor to determine the operating life of a fan. CopperX uses a high quality miniature double ball bearing system, which can be operated with fan life expectancies up to 50,000 hours.

Features:
High Density Copper Heat Sink Design
Double Ball-bearing Fans For Extended Life
Triple-tab Clip For Secure Installation
Specification:
Model: CCK-6040H
CPU Socket: Socket 7/370/A(462)
Rated Voltage: DC 12V
Rated Current: 0.32A
Power Consumption: 3.64W
Bearing Type: Double Ball Bearing
Fan Speed: 6800 R.P.M.
Airflow: 37.6 CFM
Noise Level: 46.5 dBA
Outline Dimension: 65X65X69 (mm)
Weight: 394 gm
Life Time: 70,000 hrs.

http://www.altex.com/product_info.php?c ... ts_id=3744
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

i forgot were i read this ill look it up and post. but due to high power demand and high heat output there will be no pentuim 5. what was going to be the pentium 5 was called the tejas project. this was scratched and there working on making a different platmform more like there low energy mobile processors.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice heat sync SKATER
Copper has always dissipated the heat the fastest. When i was buying my p4 2.4 With HT Technology I almost bought a belt driven CPU cooler. I guess that they are quiet and being that way you can run the fan a higher RPM thus giving you a lower temp.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about for laptop hot sinks! not fans! o.o
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

My dell has 2 fans in it . It only comes on when it gets hot like playing a game. It is a Dell Lattitude C610. Here is a pic of the fan and cpu.
http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/systems ... n/fana.jpg

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts