Interesting data from my website

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my website I have a voting system (like/dislike) and to try to limit each user to only voting once for each entry and for only one option I log the IP. I noticed that just about for every post there is always a dislike. Now at first I thought it was just random person having some fun going around and disliking everything that is posted for the hell of it. Well I looked through the database and found some interesting data. There is a range of IP's that like and dislike every post, and I really mean a range. Everything from 123.125.66.57 to 123.125.66.98. It ranges from 3-10 votes per ip. I looked up the ip range and found that they are owned by the China Unicom Beijing province network. It looks like it may be a spider because it seems to hit every link on my site.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Add a visual confirmation to the like/dislike functionality maybe ?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrmm, I don't know. His like/dislike functions similar to Digg and Reddit. There should be some other work around. *digs*
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't mean you can't popup a confirmation box that asks how many likes there were before you applied yours, even with AJAX. :D
  • middayc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Slovenia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked at your page .. while you use ajax for like/dislike you put the url you call into href and probably append event unobtrusively to nicely degrade link *for those without javascript* -- like these days probably only bots are :)

If you would put # in href I suspect you will not have the problem any more. If you want to do it unobtrusively you have to put URL or at leasr post ID somewhere so you can then generate the URL...but there are many simple and more or less dirty ways to solve this.

//edit: In case you would want to be ideologically correct you can also take into account that like/dislike is modifying operation (so POST) not a GET and shouldn't degrade to link that's why crawlers change your data
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see the like/dislike functionality, but I do see <!-- under Flickr Photos. Kind of doubt that was supposed to be there.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts